daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2015, 11:26 PM   #1921
jam5

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS-80 View Post
Did they announce the runway layout yet? That pic is from 1999.
No, but every indication seems to show that the final configuration at Badgerys Creek won't be too different than what is depicted here.

Do bear in mind that by the time this airport is finally constructed, most planes flying there will likely be far quieter, more fuel-efficient, and cleaner than planes flying to Kingsford-Smith today (let alone at the turn of the century when this study was done).
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 19th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #1922
AtD

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc68 View Post
Again, it's not a NATIONAL embarrassment. People in Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth don't care.

It's a Sydney issue, not a national one. And it's not that bad. Ever been to some of the older terminals at Heathrow or LAX?
I really don't think anyone in Sydney cares either. If you asked people what was wrong with the airport, they'll probably all say traffic and transport. The international terminal itself is fine.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #1923
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtD View Post
I really don't think anyone in Sydney cares either. If you asked people what was wrong with the airport, they'll probably all say traffic and transport. The international terminal itself is fine.
I am from Sydney,I don't really care.

Unlike Singapore, BKK, HK, a major transit hub where I may spent hours there, I do care what they got to offer.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #1924
hornetfig

Quote:
Hey, the international terminal is, relatively, pretty good too - sure, developed hodge-podge from a tiny base, but also from fundamentally solid 1970s understanding of terminal design . The domestic terminals are a farce. A level above Eagle Farm, sure, but for all the money spent in the 1990s, still the cruddy legacy of an 80 year old airport.
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #1925
AtD

Likes (Received): 322

Out of curiosity, what do you think is wrong with domestic? Yeah I can see the Virgin/JetStar terminal is a little tired, but it is the cheap end of the market. I don't mind the Qantas terminal at all. And the whole thing shits all over Melbourne.

The only issue I have with Domestic is the constant traffic jam getting in. I think the Qantas Dr and O'Riodan St intersection needs to be grade separated and the public pick-up area completely re-done.
AtD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 07:13 PM   #1926
jam5

Likes (Received): 74

I don't understand why everyone keeps deviating from the original topic of this thread, but if you insist on talking about the original Sydney airport, please direct your comments to that thread instead.

Thank you.

Last edited by jam5; January 19th, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #1927
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS-80 View Post

Did they announce the runway layout yet? That pic is from 1999.
I don't imagine that the runway alignments will deviate from the 1990's plan. These are the most logical alignments and to change that there would need to be a lot of additional land acquisitioned outside the current parcel.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:03 AM   #1928
TOCC

Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what do you think is wrong with domestic? Yeah I can see the Virgin/JetStar terminal is a little tired, but it is the cheap end of the market. I don't mind the Qantas terminal at all. And the whole thing shits all over Melbourne.

The only issue I have with Domestic is the constant traffic jam getting in. I think the Qantas Dr and O'Riodan St intersection needs to be grade separated and the public pick-up area completely re-done.

I agree, the domestic terminal is quite good albeit a bit congested at times.. But I've seen much worse in
Brisbane,.. Sydney makes Brisbane domestic look like luxury..
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #1929
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

There is always going to be worse, if we keep on comparing with someone that is worse then us, things will never improve.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
Old January 20th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #1930
datalore777
Lord of some things

Likes (Received): 2

Badgery's Creek or somewhere else? On the high speed rail discussion some talk about preferring Wilton to Badgery's.

Thoughts?

Datalore777
datalore777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #1931
hornetfig

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what do you think is wrong with domestic?
From a passenger perspective once you're in the passenger terminals, they're fine (because they were both redone essentially from scratch, the Ansett terminal earlier than the Qantas one [so the departure level was bolted on to it] as you point out).

But the supporting infrastructure is just not there because the whole precinct is developed from a row of sheds dating back to the aerodrome days. IIRC the road layout is still partly influence by the former residential estate! So the road infrastructure is extremely cramped and then it has been retrofitted repeatedly. The domestic terminal precinct is intermingled with various other operations including airport operations, freight depots etc. Basically it comes down to it being too small.
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #1932
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by datalore777 View Post
Badgery's Creek or somewhere else? On the high speed rail discussion some talk about preferring Wilton to Badgery's.

Thoughts?
Zoomwoosh prefers Wilton. The Labor govt proposed Wilton but the idea was abandoned a few years ago. Badgerys is now the definitive site.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 07:28 AM   #1933
TOCC

Likes (Received): 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
There is always going to be worse, if we keep on comparing with someone that is worse then us, things will never improve.

And there is always going to be something better..
Do you think the NSW Government has the resources to continually try to build the best infrastructure especially when you have countries like the UAE and China using airports as a symbol of their countries progressiveness and economic strength?
There's optimistic and then there's realistic...
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 08:08 AM   #1934
Harry Andrews

Likes (Received): 167

This will be the greatest thing that happened to Western Sydney. And it will great for the rest of the country too. Less congestion in and out of Sydney is a boon for that city and a boost to Australia's competitiveness. Just look at how congestion issues at LAX, because they can't sort out that city's airport requirements, has a deleterious effect on the economic performance of the entire US. You can throw JFK and O'Hare into the mix too, albeit with the former undergoing an extensive upgrade within the existing airport footprint.
Harry Andrews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 11:29 AM   #1935
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
And there is always going to be something better..
Do you think the NSW Government has the resources to continually try to build the best infrastructure especially when you have countries like the UAE and China using airports as a symbol of their countries progressiveness and economic strength?
There's optimistic and then there's realistic...
No, but we can always aim to improve.

China has hundreds of airports, I dare say only a few are world class. They lack the management skills to make the best use of its infrastructure.

Tags
mandurahboyz