SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Show me your ferry !

100K views 132 replies 56 participants last post by  geogregor 
#1 · (Edited)
Some ferries.

Helsingborg (S) -Helsingör (DK) 20 minutes

HH-ferries Cars & Trucks carrier

The Hamlet -it's called so because The Shakespeare play Hamlet took place in the Kronborg Castle, Helsingör, DK (info for those of you who dropped out of college)

Sundbuss - passengers only

Rödbyhavn (DK) -Puttgarden (D) 45 minutes

Scandlines Cars & Trucks carrier
Who wants to drive on a 18km long bridge in 2018?
The only advantage would be a cheaper price to reach Puttgarden & Bordershop :cheers: otherwise I prefer the ferry, at least for the car. A train ride a cross the bridge would be a great experience though.

The "road" to Continental Europe for many Scandinavians.

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
Livorno is a great port. I saw it from the train when travelling to Piombino.

Here is another Sardinan ferry in the harbour of Piombino.

Moby lines also serve the route Piombino-Elba island.

This ferry did not carry many passengers, maybe 1/5 of the seats were occupied.
I think the goverment sponsors this route for the sake of the Elba inhabitants.

The ferry is leaving Cavo harbour.

#33 ·
Dover to Calais

Heading for Dover

Weighbridge. Today I am traveling on a commercial freight ticket, and I am using the freight liner from P&O.

My van

On the ferry

Calais

And a few on this same trip from Germany to Denmark, and Denmark to Sweden:
Ferry Puttgarden, Germany to Roedby, Denmark:

Approaching Denmark:

Denmark:

Approaching Helsingor, Denmark for the ferry to Helsingborg, Sweden:

On the ferry to Sweden:

Helsingborg, Sweden:

And on my way back on the Denmark-Germany ferry:

#44 ·
Restarting this thread with new pics

So it has been weeks since this thread has had its last reply, and I would like to resume it with new pics.

Here are some of San Francisco's ferries. First up, Golden Gate Ferry, which celebrated its 40th anniversary last year. Its fleet includes 3 Spaulding vessels and 4 catamarans. It operates three services: San Francisco-Sausalito, San Francisco-Larkspur, and Larkspur-AT&T Park (select events only).

MS Marin, a Spaulding Ferry:

MV Napa, one of two new catamarans, delivered in 2010:

MV Del Norte:

San Francisco Ferry Terminal:

Larkspur Ferry Terminal:

More ferry pics on the way.

#46 ·
So it has been weeks since this thread has had its last reply, and I would like to resume it with new pics.

Here are some of San Francisco's ferries. First up, Golden Gate Ferry, which celebrated its 40th anniversary last year. Its fleet includes 3 Spaulding vessels and 4 catamarans. It operates three services: San Francisco-Sausalito, San Francisco-Larkspur, and Larkspur-AT&T Park (select events only).

I assumed those ferries had been operating forever (probably out of the Ferry Building!) How did one get to Marin County before 1971 (forgetting about the bridge, of course, which hasn't been there forever anyway); was there another operator?

#48 ·
Penn's Woods said:
I assumed those ferries had been operating forever (probably out of the Ferry Building!) How did one get to Marin County before 1971 (forgetting about the bridge, of course, which hasn't been there forever anyway); was there another operator?
Yes indeed! It has been there for some time already. Prior to 1971, the Golden Gate Bridge was already in existence, and that the District assumed that there would be a significant growth in traffic along the bridge as it is the primary connector between the North Bay and San Francisco. So the CA Legislature created a special District that would then encompass ferry transit and buses, the former in 1971, the latter in 1972. Greyhound buses operated before then... and there was a ferry service way before the Golden Gate Ferry took its place; it carried initially trains, passengers, and cars and dropped off at the Hyde Street Pier; it then disappeared by 1955 when the highway through Marin County was completed.

#59 ·
"Prins Willem Alexander" and "Prinses Maxima" twin ferries connecting the Dutch towns of Vlissingen and Breskens

Only pedestrians, bikes and small motorbikes are allowed. The ferry runs every hour in the winter and every half an hour in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.