SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Vehicle license plates of the world

2M views 4K replies 461 participants last post by  Corvinus 
#1 ·
A thread about vhicle playes , post your vehicle plates .

here is what i found:

(belgium)

(bosnia)

(croatia)

See less See more
#34 ·
it's quite funny that one of the reasons why nunavut won against the northwest territories in terms of getting the same license plate design is because NWT's real logo is a three-legged polar bear, while nunavut suggested an anatomically correct 4-legged polar bear, which isn't the same as NWT's.

#33 ·
The current license plates of Spain date of September 2000. The former plates had provincial codes, and that was a problem for car dealers: selling a second-hand car in a different province was a problem. Also, a car with the "M" (Madrid) in "B" (Barcelona), for example, is prone to be honked at :lol:

The old system was:

P-000000 to P-999999
P-0000-A to P-9999-Z
P-0000-AA to P-9999-ZZ
Being "P" the provincial code (one or two letters). The problem is that Madrid and Barcelona were about to reach the 9999-ZZ limit in the year 2000.

The new system:

0000 BBB to 9999 BBB, then 0000 BBC and so on until 9999 ZZZ. There are no vowels, Ñ or Q.

Some examples I've found on the net:

An old one from Madrid. This format is called "ordinaria larga" (ordinary, long).

From Asturias ("O" is for Oviedo). O-0000-O. This format is called "ordinaria alta" (ordinary, tall). It's also used in rear doors of 4x4, or vans such as Citroën Berlingo or Peugeot Partner.

From Pontevedra.

From Burgos. The European band was optional.

The current ones. The European band is compulsory.

For motorbikes (>49cc). The typography is slightly different.
An old one from LOgroño :D

A new one:

For mopeds (<49cc). "C" is for "ciclomotor".

The "Special" ones. Used in tractors and other special vehicles. Old system: LO-VE is for "LOgroño - Vehículo Especial".

New system. E 0000 BBB.

Another "Special" plate :D

As for the "plastic" or acrylic plates, they are legal in Spain since last year. They don't deform when hitting another car while parking, are easier to clean...

#75 ·
NOPE. But currently, there is a proposal to connect Nunavut to southern canada via Manitoba. This will give Canada's only deepwater Arctic port, (Churchill, Manitoba), road access for the first time. The highway will go from Manitoba to Churchill,then enter the 60th parallel, then north to Arviat, Whale Cove, Rankin Inlet, Chesterfield Inlet, and inland to Baker Lake, the proposed northern terminus of the Nunavut - Manitoba Road.

*This will be Nunavut's first highway when completed.

#44 ·
If your car gets stolen, or if you lose your license plate, you don't want that someone else starts using your license plate and goes driving too fast, but that you get the fines. So they add an extra '1', so that you can keep your license plate, but that other people won't abuse the lost plate. Sorry if this sounds confusing, btw, but I can't explain it better :)

#52 ·
Interesting thread. Im always watching to License plates.. I always recognize the plates, and immediately I know from which country they are :). It became a sort of hobby actually :lol: I know how to decipher dutch license plates, Irish, Italian, and german :)

#77 · (Edited)
No, in Mexico, cars with border plates (apply only in border cities with USA)
can't go beyond many kilometers into the country. If you take a look in the first plate
there's a prefix "Front",(frontera in spanish), that means border.
(I don't remerber how many Km , because
near the border there are checkpoints, and the cars that don't have
national plates will have to get back, howerver you can get a permit)
Cars imported from US, can't get national plates.