daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > West Coast and Interior West Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #201
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_urban View Post
While we all agree that highrises are nice, it's the smaller projects that help keep the downtown streets more human scale.

Check out the projects coming from Public Architecure. http://www.publicdigital.com/. They're putting out some cool stuff :tup:

I love the look of this project with the "solar panel roof" thing and colorful facade. It matches a lot of the new Little Italy architecture. Is this just a proposal for that site? Or will it actually commence?
mongozx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #202
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman61988 View Post

Current
I'm intrigued with the building to the very left of this picture. The one with a cylindrical turret. What is that building?

Quote:
Breeza

Whoa look @the fleet of cement trucks on Pacific Highway!

Quote:
Bayside
Great pic. With all those cement pipes n stuff. COOL!

Quote:
Aria

Beautiful building indeed! Can't wait to see glass on it!
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #203
derek5
San Diegan for life

Likes (Received): 0

What about the project on the north side of El Cortez. Anybody got info on that?
Old May 5th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #204
SDfan

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
New Office Condo Tower Destined to Be Hip Icon
Prime Location Near Hotel Solamar and Stingaree
SAN DIEGO, CA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- May 04, 2007 -- As downtown San Diego attracts more trendsetters interested in its "live, work, play" environment, hip places to live are popping up all over. But where can entrepreneurs "work" that is hip and striking, all while enjoying the vast benefits of office ownership? The answer is a new 13-story, 40,000 square foot Office Tower on 6th Avenue adjacent to Hotel Solamar and Stingaree -- arguably, the most visible and exclusive office property in the city. In addition to an address that rivals any in the nation, each floor is dedicated to only one office suite and elevators open directly into each private space.

"We are ecstatic to provide what will become the most sought-after office tower in downtown San Diego," said Malcolm Davies, a principal of San Diego-based Sand and Sea Equity. "This 'extremely impressive' property will make a dramatic statement not only to owners, but to owners' clientele."

Located on the corner of 6th and Island, the property is designed to capitalize on the prime lot that is just steps from the ballpark and at the heart of the vibrant downtown scene. Five of the thirteen floors have balconies, with the upper floor units having views of the ballpark and Coronado Bay.

"The 6th Avenue Office will position owners to maximize their profits and make the utmost of the 'work' in their 'live, work, play environment,'" said Sand and Sea Equity Principal Anna-Marie Barnard.

"All the suites have floor-to-ceiling windows, the cityscape views from the upper floors are breathtaking, and the building will feature the latest in technological innovations," added Tracy Mehki, the third Principal in the dynamic ownership team of Sand and Sea Equity.

Why ownership? A fast growing number of business owners are recognizing the benefits of owning versus leasing. Like the advantages of owning your residence -- business owners will be able to take advantage of tax benefits as well as invest in the potential for long-term appreciation while fixing their costs and being masters of their own domain, not at the restriction of their landlord. All this -- at the hippest location in downtown San Diego -- will make trendsetters flock to the 6th Avenue Office property.
Just a tid-bit.
Old May 5th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #205
derek5
San Diegan for life

When does construction start?
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #206
mongozx
Pipe Layer

edit
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #207
voice of reason

would like opinions

I would be interested in anyones take on Aperture currently being built in Little Italy by Citymark. Likes, dislikes etc.

Also, has anyone been to the Citymark new office in Little Italy and seen the model?

Thanks
voice of reason no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #208
SDfan

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by voice of reason View Post
I would be interested in anyones take on Aperture currently being built in Little Italy by Citymark. Likes, dislikes etc.

Also, has anyone been to the Citymark new office in Little Italy and seen the model?

Thanks
Well, from what I've seen of the renderings I like Aperture compared to a lot of the other projects similar in size in Little Italy. I haven't seen it in person though, so I can't be completely sure of my ideas of it.

And there is a new citymark office? What project are they promoting? Pier? Or something else?
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #209
voice of reason

The sales office is on the corner of Date and India. They are full speed ahead on Aperture and I believe that Pier is unpriced and the date is not firm. They have a mock model of a unit at Aperture. My info is that sales are pretty good considering the slowness of the downtown market. They are the only new building in pre-sale in Little Italy. I was quoted about 550 per foot. I like the size of the building, not too big and I didnt want alot of expensive ammenities. I have a gym membership, so I dont want a puny one that requires alot of upkeep. The views are east and west and the west looks at a close-by building. The views are to the east and are city-view. But I love Little Italy vs. East Village and the Harbor is too expensive and busy and will only get more touristy.
voice of reason no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #210
derek5
San Diegan for life

I.M. Pei's tower...not the most impressive...and not a "signature tower" in my opinion...

Old May 11th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #211
bushman61988

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek5 View Post
I.M. Pei's tower...not the most impressive...and not a "signature tower" in my opinion...

Definitely NOT signature...i was looking at the skyscraperpage forum for san diego, and EVERYONE is saying it's a nice filler tower, but do we really need a "filler tower" RIGHT on the bayfront next to that new Navy office building which also looks like a nice kind of "filler tower"?

There was NO innovativeness, or creativeness it seems...the material is nice, but to have something like this right on the bayfront, blocking the One America Plaza...

A nice kind of Bland, and imo, it would go great somewhere in the center of downtown, but not for the bayfront...
bushman61988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #212
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Ugly as f.......
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #213
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

Can someone tell me where the model for the projects ongoing in downtown is? I keep seeing pictures of it. Thanks.
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #214
derek5
San Diegan for life

It's in the NBC building downtown and it's called the CCDC.

Centre City Development Corporation
225 Broadway, Suite 1100
San Diego, CA 92101
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #215
Karltj

Likes (Received): 62

Man, I love all the development going on right now in downtown, but... why can't they come up with one single piece of fine, innovative architecture??? it seams every new high rise buiding being proposed or in construction have rather boring, conservative and "ok" designs for the most part.
Karltj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #216
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)

Quote:
It's in the NBC building downtown and it's called the CCDC.

Centre City Development Corporation
225 Broadway, Suite 1100
San Diego, CA 92101
Thanks for the help!

Old May 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #217
bushman61988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karltj View Post
Man, I love all the development going on right now in downtown, but... why can't they come up with one single piece of fine, innovative architecture??? it seams every new high rise buiding being proposed or in construction have rather boring, conservative and "ok" designs for the most part.

YES!!! I TOTALLY agree! The Navy Broadway Complex, the Lane Field Redevelopment, and now this IM Pei project.

Even though everyone disagrees, i really like the spinnaker hotel, b/c it's so different and innovative, even if a little "themed".
bushman61988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #218
derek5
San Diegan for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldcottingham View Post
Thanks for the help!
No problem
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #219
derek5
San Diegan for life

For all of you that have been wondering what those big cranes at the 32nd St. Naval Station are for..........here it is!!

From San Diego Metropolitan Magazine

Single Sailors To Get
Resort-Style Housing

The nation’s first large-scale military apartment project devoted exclusively to unmarried sailors — three buildings containing 941 two-bedroom apartments — is expected to break ground in the second quarter of 2006 at the 32nd Street Naval Station under a partnership between the Navy and Clark Realty, a Maryland-based real estate and construction company.

Clark Realty describes the tower, to be called Pacific Beacon, as the first phase of a 1,200-unit development that will ultimately house more than 2,400 sailors at Naval Station San Diego. Construction of the first phase is expected to be completed in 2008. The resort-style nature of the project is unusual for San Diego military installations.

Pacific Beacon will be built on 15 acres on the dry side of the 32nd Street Naval Station near Main Street. Each of the apartments will be shared by two sailors, although members of other military branches also may rent units. The residences will have open living areas, full kitchens, washer/dryers and balconies with views. Both bedrooms will have large walk-in closets and private bathrooms. The buildings also will contain entertainment, fitness and educational amenities.

“This project is part of the Navy’s Public Private Venture program, which allows the Navy to leverage Clark’s private-sector capital and expertise to develop, manage and improve military housing,” says Bill Geibler, marketing and communications executive with Clark. “The Navy is able to provide its men and women with the best housing the marketplace has to offer with a minimal tax-dollar investment.”

Each sailor living at Pacific Beacon receives a basic allowance for housing from the Navy, a market-based stipend that will be used as rent for the apartments. Rent payments include utility costs and basic renter insurance. “We were able to finance this project by issuing bonds on Wall Street, and these bonds are backed by the future revenue stream of the basic allowance for housing,” says Geibler.

Geibler says the Navy’s Public Private Ventures are long-term partnerships, not government contracts. Through a request-for-proposal process, the Navy chose Clark Realty to enter into negotiations for a 50-year equity partnership. Clark has chosen Pinnacle, a real estate investment management company headquartered in Seattle, to be project manager. Clark partnered with Lincoln Property Co. on Navy Region Southwest’s Gateway Village townhomes in Loma Portal.

Clark Realty’s plans for Naval Station San Diego also include improving exterior amenities at Palmer Hall, a 12-story building that houses about 1,000 single sailors dormitory-style. The company will add a 25-meter lap pool, a resort-style pool deck area and a clubhouse. Residents of Pacific Beacon will be able to share use of these facilities.

The housing is exclusively for single enlisted sailors E-4 and above, called “unaccompanied sailors” by the Navy. Geibler says it is the first project of its kind in the country.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #220
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Quote:
For all of you that have been wondering what those big cranes at the 32nd St. Naval Station are for..........here it is!!

From San Diego Metropolitan Magazine

Single Sailors To Get
Resort-Style Housing

The nation’s first large-scale military apartment project devoted exclusively to unmarried sailors — three buildings containing 941 two-bedroom apartments — is expected to break ground in the second quarter of 2006 at the 32nd Street Naval Station under a partnership between the Navy and Clark Realty, a Maryland-based real estate and construction company.

Clark Realty describes the tower, to be called Pacific Beacon, as the first phase of a 1,200-unit development that will ultimately house more than 2,400 sailors at Naval Station San Diego. Construction of the first phase is expected to be completed in 2008. The resort-style nature of the project is unusual for San Diego military installations.

Pacific Beacon will be built on 15 acres on the dry side of the 32nd Street Naval Station near Main Street. Each of the apartments will be shared by two sailors, although members of other military branches also may rent units. The residences will have open living areas, full kitchens, washer/dryers and balconies with views. Both bedrooms will have large walk-in closets and private bathrooms. The buildings also will contain entertainment, fitness and educational amenities.

“This project is part of the Navy’s Public Private Venture program, which allows the Navy to leverage Clark’s private-sector capital and expertise to develop, manage and improve military housing,” says Bill Geibler, marketing and communications executive with Clark. “The Navy is able to provide its men and women with the best housing the marketplace has to offer with a minimal tax-dollar investment.”

Each sailor living at Pacific Beacon receives a basic allowance for housing from the Navy, a market-based stipend that will be used as rent for the apartments. Rent payments include utility costs and basic renter insurance. “We were able to finance this project by issuing bonds on Wall Street, and these bonds are backed by the future revenue stream of the basic allowance for housing,” says Geibler.

Geibler says the Navy’s Public Private Ventures are long-term partnerships, not government contracts. Through a request-for-proposal process, the Navy chose Clark Realty to enter into negotiations for a 50-year equity partnership. Clark has chosen Pinnacle, a real estate investment management company headquartered in Seattle, to be project manager. Clark partnered with Lincoln Property Co. on Navy Region Southwest’s Gateway Village townhomes in Loma Portal.

Clark Realty’s plans for Naval Station San Diego also include improving exterior amenities at Palmer Hall, a 12-story building that houses about 1,000 single sailors dormitory-style. The company will add a 25-meter lap pool, a resort-style pool deck area and a clubhouse. Residents of Pacific Beacon will be able to share use of these facilities.

The housing is exclusively for single enlisted sailors E-4 and above, called “unaccompanied sailors” by the Navy. Geibler says it is the first project of its kind in the country.

I remember reading that in the paper last year. It's about time they start improving their conditions in San Diego. I spent my time in the Navy and San Diego has some of the worst quality of life conditions for sailors across America. Not the absolute worst. But it's not good. This is long overdue. I hope they can take care of it though!

Tags
san diego