search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > West Coast and Interior West Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #21
SDfan

Likes (Received): 44

Also, thanks for the pictures from the downtown center, sd_urban.

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #22
octosd

Likes (Received): 0

Looks like a winner

The Irvine company lot in front of one america plaza is zoned for only 480 ft. So at the very least we will still see 20 ft. of one america plaza, as that building is 500 ft. Hopefully they will not build it as wide so that part of one America plaza from base to pinacle can still be seen. In fact, this situation may be a godsend. The Irvine Company is the owner of One America plaza, so it would behoove them to mass their new tower in a way that preserves as much of the one america plaza's view to the bay, as the more bay view the higher the rent. The previous situation would have produced a bosa condo walling off the nicest office building, so in the scheme of things I think this is a winner. That prime property was not going to sit empty forever, and in fact I am glad it is not going to. Now we just need to make sure that the tower is iconic and does not resemble the boxy towers the Irvine company loves to replicate near the freeway in OC.
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #23
SanDiegoArch

I know how everyone enjoys looking at the One America Plaza because I do as well. However I can live with it being blocked out somewhat as long as this new tower is even better and improves the overall look of the cityscape. I assume you all agree?
SanDiegoArch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #24
CalMex717

Someone asked for a photo of Aria's progress. Here it is, going up fast!

Here's a photo of SmartCorner:

And finally, another picture of SmartCorner; this is where the Trolley tracks go into the station off 11th Ave. As of today, the southbound tracks are routed through the block, while the northbound tracks still wrap around the outside. I believe that this weekend they are tying in the northbound tracks to also go through the middle of the block.
CalMex717 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #25
CalMex717

Sorry, I've got to figure out the photo thing...will try again later.
CalMex717 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #26
sd_urban

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm View Post
anybody got a shot of how Aria compares to its surroundings?

Its going up fast.
So true. Because Aria is at the eastern edge of downtown, I don't think it will ever have to worry about it's southern and eastern views being blocked by another tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octosd
The Irvine company lot in front of one america plaza is zoned for only 480 ft. So at the very least we will still see 20 ft. of one america plaza, as that building is 500 ft. Hopefully they will not build it as wide so that part of one America plaza from base to pinacle can still be seen. In fact, this situation may be a godsend. The Irvine Company is the owner of One America plaza, so it would behoove them to mass their new tower in a way that preserves as much of the one america plaza's view to the bay, as the more bay view the higher the rent. The previous situation would have produced a bosa condo walling off the nicest office building, so in the scheme of things I think this is a winner.
Very good point. I am sorta worried about how they are going to fit 650,000 square feet into a 480' tower, though. For comparison, I couldn't find OAP's exact square footage, but it is said to be anywhere from 570,000 to 630,000 square feet. In this case, I hope Irvine maximizes the height and not the square footage. Tall and thin is what we want here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoArch
I know how everyone enjoys looking at the One America Plaza because I do as well. However I can live with it being blocked out somewhat as long as this new tower is even better and improves the overall look of the cityscape. I assume you all agree?
I'll agree with you here. As octosd already mentioned, it they can build something thin in front of OAP, we wouldn't have to worry about it being completely blocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMex717
I believe that this weekend they are tying in the northbound tracks to also go through the middle of the block.
Cool, I've been wondering when they were going to do that.
sd_urban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #27
sd_urban

Ok fellow Urbanites,

Tomorrow (Sunday, Jan. 21) is the grand opening of the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego http://www.mcasd.org/downtown/index.html annex across the street at the train station. It's free between Noon and 6:00pm. Since the Chargers aren't playing this weekend , you might want to check it out.

Cool pic with the Trolley, Coaster and Amtrak all lined up next to it.

Last edited by sd_urban; January 20th, 2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:15 AM   #28
hngcm

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMex717 View Post
Sorry, I've got to figure out the photo thing...will try again later.
Boooo!

lol
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:49 AM   #29
bushman61988

I.M. Pei

Since it looks like the Irvine Co. is going to hire world-renowned architect I.M. Pei to develop an office tower on one of Downtown's most prominent sites, I thought I'd show some of his work. It's so diverse, it's nearly impossible to guess or get an idea of what the office tower may look like. But here's a lot of his buildings, some really innovative, some very Blocky, boring, and dull:

I think my personal favorite would be Dallas' Fountain Place which is the 3rd to last photo.
bushman61988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM   #30
SDfan

Well my expectations just fell down a notch.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM   #31
SanDiegoArch

Have respect for I.M. Pei because to achieve such a title as "world renowned architect" you must be pleasing many people with your designs. However out of the particular projects that were shown I only enjoy looking at about 2 or 3 of them. They are rather bland, boxy, and boring; nothing too innovative or spectacular. It would be nice if the Irvine Co. could get Cesar Pelli to do the tower; I cant say I dislike much of his work.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:16 AM   #32
SDfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoArch View Post
Have respect for I.M. Pei because to achieve such a title as "world renowned architect" you must be pleasing many people with your designs.
Never said I didn't respect them, unless I wrote something invisible to my eye. Just implied that I wasn't impressed with the bland boxes shown.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 05:16 AM   #33
bushman61988

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoArch View Post
Have respect for I.M. Pei because to achieve such a title as "world renowned architect" you must be pleasing many people with your designs. However out of the particular projects that were shown I only enjoy looking at about 2 or 3 of them. They are rather bland, boxy, and boring; nothing too innovative or spectacular. It would be nice if the Irvine Co. could get Cesar Pelli to do the tower; I cant say I dislike much of his work.
I like most of Pelli's work except for one of the towers he has at that BORING Bulky CityCentre project in Vegas.

I doubt that I.M. Pei would design one those big, ugly, boxy towers for our bayfront, for one because he knows how prominent that site is, and another, most of his uglier, boxy towers tended to be in the 60's & 70's when those towers were a norm. But when i think of it, his projects are pretty bland.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:39 AM   #34
sd_urban

I, too, don't think that Pei Cobb Freed & Partners will be giving us one of those concrete monsters that they've done in the past. I suspect we'll get something sleek and glassy, like the Bank of China building in Hong Kong. Of course, it won't be nearly as tall.
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #35
derek5
San Diegan for life

i saw some commercials for Bayside on the news this morning...and it looks HOT!
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #36
SanDiegoArch

Sorry about my Post

Hey guys sorry about my last post. What I meant to say is that "I" have respect for I.M. Pei. I know it looked like I was saying that you had no respect SDfan. I have no doubt that if Pei does the work it will be great, I just admire Pelli's work as well.
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #37
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Well IM Pei doesn't look that impressive, looks a lot like most of the office buildings that already exist in downtown. O well hopefully he pulls something off. And I hope this isnt the case but maybe Irvine Co. decides they want the building to be bulky, then it doesnt matter if they block OAP because then they have a whole new building fronted with bayside views with higher rents. I hope they decide to distribute exposure between the two buildings, but it doesnt really matter whether they own OAP or not. They will make money either way, and theyll have to make a lot with what they are putting into it. Still the tip of OAP will be seen for sure right?
This is emporis' list of the firm's projects.
http://www.emporis.com/en/cd/cm/?id=...orkcity-ny-usa
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #38
bushman61988

Here's Some updates. Some of the webcams on CCDC werent lookin, so I wasn't able to get shots of Bayside or Sapphine, etc. but here's what I got so far:

Alta

MetroWork

They recently added a new webcam to the CCDC website on Cortez Hill, so now we can view construction of this 7-story office tower.

Aperture

Aria

This building is lookin real nice, and adds some real height to the Cortez Hill, College area of the skyline. Construction is about the 14th floor w/ 7-8 more to go.

Hilton Convention Center Hotel

Diamondview Tower

Diegan Hotel

Electra

I think construction is now the 34th floor.

HardRock Hotel

I just wish I could get shots from the ground-level to see how the hotel is shapin up to look like.

Icon

Legend

Park Terrace

The Trolley Station at the ground level is complete, at least to the point where the trolley runs through it and stops.

Southblock Lofts

I saw construction from a couple of webcams and was wondering what the project was, and judging by the location, it's Oliver McMillan's Southblock Lofts.

The Mark

Vantage Point

Old January 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #39
derek5
San Diegan for life

nice update

aria is going up rather quickly no??
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #40
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Likes (Received): 9

Yeah it is. Pretty soon we'll be able to see Aria from my favorite point of view of the skyline: Point Loma.

And Legend is looking pretty damn good too!!
mongozx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego