search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > West Coast and Interior West Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #61
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Likes (Received): 9

Nice.

Looks like Lane Field will develop soon with construction expected as early as next year.

From the UT:

Lane Field development
A $225 million complex housing a 23-story, 550-room InterContinental hotel near the San Diego cruise ship terminal.

A neighboring $100 million complex with a 17-story, 300-room Woodfin Suites hotel.

Retail shops and restaurants inside and outside the hotels.

More than 1,700 parking spaces.

The former downtown home of the minor league San Diego Padres will be converted into a $325 million waterfront destination under a conceptual plan approved yesterday by the San Diego Port Commission.

This artist's rendering shows a $325 million waterfront development that the San Diego Port Commission approved yesterday in concept. The project would occupy the former Lane Field site in San Diego.
The commission voted unanimously to develop the 5.8-acre Lane Field site – now a parking lot at Broadway and Pacific Highway – with two luxury hotels, retail shops and restaurants overlooking the San Diego cruise ship terminal. One of the developers said about 40 percent of the site will be covered with landscaping.

“The exciting part of this project is that it's going to happen,” said Port Commissioner Steve Cushman. “We've been at this for a long time.”

Yesterday's approval was one of the first major steps toward completing the project by 2010 as developers envision. An environmental review is next, and then the commission will need to approve the project's design.

If all goes according to plan, construction could begin early next year.

The former Lane Field site isn't the only waterfront property set for a modern-day makeover.

Developer Douglas Manchester, who lost his bid to redevelop Lane Field in November, has been selected to build hotels and offices on 14.7 acres of prime Navy-owned land near Seaport Village, just south of the Lane Field site.

County Supervisor Ron Roberts and former state Sen. Steve Peace recently suggested moving airport terminals to the Pacific Highway side of Lindbergh Field and turning Harbor Drive into a parklike promenade south of the airport.

As it stands, the Lane Field project would create two shimmering towers along the waterfront and could become one of the most recognizable structures in the city. The site is between North Harbor Drive and Pacific Highway, with Broadway at its southern edge.

The project would be split by C Street into north and south sections, but developers said they plan to build everything at once.

The $225 million south complex would house a 23-story, 550-room InterContinental hotel, while the $100 million north side would have a 17-story, 300-room Woodfin Suites hotel. The proposal calls for retail shops and restaurants inside as well as outside of the hotels.

Each tower would have saillike wings protruding from the roof and outer walls of shimmering glass to resemble ocean waves. At night, the building would glow.

Plans also call for more than 1,700 parking spaces.

A consortium that includes Hardage Hotels LLC, Lankford and Associates, Phelps Development Co. and C.W. Clark will work together on the project.

Developers plan to hold a series of community meetings on the project to get feedback from the public.

Advertisement

Karen Weymann, the Port District's assistant director of real estate, said the district expects to collect about $86 million in rent from the complex in the first 10 years. The city of San Diego is expected to collect about $6.5 million in transient-occupancy taxes annually, plus sales tax from the retail shops and restaurants, she said.
Sylvia Rios, chairwoman of the Port Commission, said she knows not everyone will like the proposal, but it fits with the long-range vision many have for the city's waterfront. There was little opposition at yesterday's meeting.

“We definitely want to work at making it a destination, not only for tourists, but we also want to make it a destination for the residents of San Diego,” Rios said.

The Pacific Coast League's San Diego Padres called Lane Field home from 1936 to 1957.
mongozx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #62
sd_urban

Likes (Received): 11

Here's the rendering for Lane Field proposal posted by mongozx above. It'll need alot of tweaking (especially the base), but the tower design is growing on me. It's funky in a cool way, I guess. The top looks like a cross between the proposed Embassy1414 project and the Sydney Opera House. I'd like to see a better rendering and also hope that they back off on the twin tower thing.

Last edited by sd_urban; February 15th, 2007 at 09:31 AM.
sd_urban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #63
sd_urban

And finally, a blurry rendering of the 16th and Gateway proposal. Given it's location next to the freeway, it's pretty nice looking, IMO. At least it looks different from the all of the Canadian condos towers we have now

• 16th & G Gateway (SD Megablock LLC) - Centre City Development Permit for 525 residential units (including 10 percent affordable units), 113,064 square feet of office space, and approximately 11,100 square feet of retail use in a 35-story building (449 feet tall); the proposed rehabilitation of the historic Snowflake Bakery building for retail and office uses; and, approximately 35,200 square feet of “urban open space” (over non-buildable areas due to seismic faults) located on the on the block bounded by 16th, 17th, F and G streets - East Village.
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #64
hngcm

Likes (Received): 18

Lane Field- Keep one of the towers and make it taller.
Gateway- A bit thinner and its great.
hngcm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #65
sd_urban

Here's a new proposal for Cortez Hill. Looks nice to me, but the folks on the eastern side of the El Cortez will lose their views of Balboa Park. Guess they should have bought a place in a taller building

PLANS FOR TOWER NEAR EL CORTEZ GETS INITIAL OK

Building not good fit, nearby residents say

By Jeanette Steele
STAFF WRITER

February 15, 2007

DOWNTOWN SAN DIEGO – An 18-story modern glass tower may rise next to the historic El Cortez building, after the city's downtown redevelopment board gave the initial thumbs-up yesterday to a new design from developer J. Peter Block Cos.

Some Cortez Hill residents fighting any development of that site were dismayed at the choice, saying the curved glass residential tower will infringe on El Cortez's iconic place in the downtown skyline.

“It just doesn't belong on the site. It's too big, too close,” said Rita Collier, coordinator of the Cortez Neighbors group. “It doesn't 'dialogue' at it, it shouts at it.”

The downtown redevelopment board said a modern building is a good fit because it won't compete with El Cortez's historic look. The 17-story building, opened in 1927 as a hotel, is on the National Register of Historic Places.

“I favor the contrasting architecture,” said Centre City Development Corp. board member Jennifer LeSar, who, like others, praised the proposed look as “very exciting.”

The top floor would house a “sky room,” harkening back to a one-time El Cortez lounge of the same name.

“We're desperate here for exciting architecture,” LeSar said.

The developer still needs to flesh out design details, get formal approval from the downtown board and eventually go before the San Diego City Council for the last word. Some Cortez Hill residents have challenged the developer's right to build on the site, and lawsuits have been filed against the development company and the city.

The Centre City board moved the project a step forward in green-lighting the modern look and the size, as opposed to a more traditional-looking 11-story brick building also under consideration.

In doing so, the board bucked advice from its own staff, which recommended capping the building at seven or eight stories, and an outside architecture consultant. Santa Monica architect Gwynne Pugh told the board, in a letter, that a “more neutral background approach” and shorter height would be more proper in a modern design.

The lone dissenter on the board was Wayne Raffesberger, who said he couldn't support the proposed 180-foot height. Raffesberger said he was “troubled” at the idea of the two building tops side by side. The lighted red letters atop the El Cortez building are a hallmark of the nighttime skyline.

Other board members supported the size, with minor revisions, but suggested slimming down the base of the building. As proposed, the structure has wings of five and eight stories on the sides of the main tower.

A spokesman for J. Peter Block Cos. said if approvals go smoothly the project could start in mid-2008 and be completed in 2010.
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #66
sd_urban

A few snaps I just took showing how quickly some of the projects are moving along -

How the heck did Bayside get to this point in such a short time?!

The Hilton, Diegan and Aria are all rising fast :tup:

Hilton

The Diegan

Aria

Aperture

Lane Field as it looks now
Old February 16th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #67
hngcm

nice
Old February 16th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #68
bushman61988

Likes (Received): 0

Those towers have an interesting design, but I remember when reading the downtown update a long time ago that twin towers aren't allowed...they really don't need anymore twin-like towers ESPECIALLY RIGHT ON THE WATERFRONT, at the foot of the bay. They'd be a little better if they were taller, but still an interesting design.

16th and Gateway is pretty cool, and will definitely stand out while driving on the 5 around downtown.

Really the only bad thing in my opinion, is that tower next to Cortez Hill. Normally, I think, the taller-the better, but in this case, it's a shame that it has to be obsuring the El Cortez in the process. They really should trim down that height
bushman61988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #69
hngcm

how about a talller & slimer version.
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #70
mongozx
Pipe Layer

Likes (Received): 9

I like that proposal next to the El Cortez tower. BUILD IT. NIMBYs BE GONE! Please.
mongozx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #71
sd_urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman61988 View Post
Those towers have an interesting design, but I remember when reading the downtown update a long time ago that twin towers aren't allowed
I remember reading this as well, and that's what surprised me most about this proposal. The base of it needs some SERIOUS tweaking, though. The more I look at, the towers are looking better and better, especially if they are suppose to glow at night.

Regarding the height -I'm not sure about the exact heights of these towers, but the Lane Field plan allows the taller to be 400' and the other 350'. The good thing is, it won't block the proposed IM Pei tower directly behind it (assuming it's as nice as we hope it will be), and it's a good "stepping down" along the Bay http://www.portofsandiego.org/projec.../lanefield.asp

Last edited by sd_urban; February 17th, 2007 at 02:41 AM.
Old February 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #72
hngcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_urban View Post
I remember reading this as well, and that's what surprised me most about this proposal. The base of it needs some SERIOUS tweaking, though. The more I look at, the towers are looking better and better, especially if they are suppose to glow at night.

Regarding the height -I'm not sure about the exact heights of these towers, but the Lane Field plan allows the taller to be 400' and the other 350'. The good thing is, it won't block the proposed IM Pei tower directly behind it (assuming it's as nice as we hope it will be), and it's a good "stepping down" along the Bay http://www.portofsandiego.org/projec.../lanefield.asp
Then the towers HAVE to be 350ft and 400ft.

Otherwise it's a waste.
Old February 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #73
deheni

Whoever did it! great job on the San Diego banner!
deheni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #74
sd_urban

Cool! That's the second SD banner I've seen here
Old February 20th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #75
sd_urban

Since the airport topic seems to come every so often here, check out this bit article from this weekend's USA TODAY -

FEASIBILITY STUDY FOR CROSS-BORDER TERMINAL GETS OK

This month, San Diego airport officials OK'd spending up to $385,000 for a feasibility study on a new cross-border terminal that would give local residents easier access flights boarding at Tijuana's Rodriguez International Airport. If built, it would be the first of its kind in North America.

Officials at San Diego International, which has one runway and is expected to reach its capacity as early as 2015, are looking to expand the airport. But it sits on less than 700 acres. Squeezed in by the Pacific Ocean and the city's downtown, it has little room to grow. Tijuana's airport, which has a longer runway, would provide access to international flights that San Diego doesn't have, including direct flights to Japan.

The idea of using Rodriguez — about 20 miles from San Diego International — has been around for years. But it's being revived as the airport continues to grow. Local residents rejected late last year a proposal to move the airport to nearby Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. The government of Mexico would have to firmly express interest in the project for the study to move forward, says Diana Lucero, a San Diego International spokeswoman. Among the options to be studied:

•A parking structure in California linked to the Tijuana airport terminal by a secure walkway.

•A full-service terminal in California, where travelers check in, linked to the Tijuana airport by a secure walkway.

•A full-service terminal in California, where travelers check-in, linked to a new U.S. concourse at the Tijuana airport by a walkway.

•A terminal, concourse and gates in California with a taxiway across the border to the Tijuana airport.
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #76
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5213

the SD Banner looks awesome.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #77
haldcottingham
SoCal Hal

Location: Atlanta(via Mobile, Philadelphia, Detroit, Norfolk, Charleston, Toledo and San Diego)
Likes (Received): 14

I've never been big on the idea of a cross the border airport connection. I'm worried enough about the lack of security on our waterways and air space in San Diego. I don't think it's much better beyond the border. There are, however, a few spots left to examine. North county(up the 15, would have to include a major expansion to the freeway)before they build themselves in would be an idea. As well as near Oceanside or East County. Just my thoughts though.
Would you like that in the can?
No, I'll have it right here.

http://www.haldcottingham.blogspot.com
haldcottingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:30 AM   #78
derek5
San Diegan for life

id HATE that sharing the TJ airport thing...im just not a fan AT ALL! i hate how everybody in SD cant agree on one single thing...because if one person is gonna have a problem with something, it will catch on, and more and more people hop on the NIMBY band wagon, people need to grow up and realize they cant all have it their way...another thing, as much as i support the military and marines and everything, they should at least be willing to work with the city, as we are allowing them to use land within city limits...miramar is a PERFECT site for an airport...people need to start pulling their heads outta thier asses and start working with other people and moving things forward

just my two cents...
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:33 AM   #79
derek5
San Diegan for life

one more thing...does anybody have the SD banner? i missed it...
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:03 AM   #80
sd_urban

While the cross border terminal idea doesn't completely solve the airport issue, it would be nice if we had close access to more international flights. I travel internationally twice a year and would love it if I could fly non-stop to Europe or Asia. I've heard that the Tijuana Airport will have non-stop flights to Japan in the near future.

Rumor has it, Philippine Airlines will be flying from SD to Manila via Vancouver sometime soon, also.

Tags
san diego