daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2006, 01:57 PM   #1
fakehippy

Likes (Received): 0

Liverpool in the 1980's

I'm new here. Exiled Scouser curently living in South Korea. Just thought some of you may be interested in these slide shows that I discovered. If you are not then erm...sorry...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancyo2...95382976/show/

Hope the link works anyway.
fakehippy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #2
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Thank you - what a strong sense of time and place.
Liverpool8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM   #3
PunkyPaul85
Aspiring Liverpolitan

Thumbs up Great Pics

Cheers for the Pics fakehippy a great set of photos there. Its interesting to see what Liverpool looked like when I was a baby (born 85). Dont really remember anything about town untill I was much older and Cases St etc had already gone, although I remember a pretty naff looking Church St and a Bold St riddled with run down charity shops from when my mum took me into town to buy school shoes from Clark's. Get sad when I see Liverpool in the 80's like a fallen giant, full of shattered monuments without meaning
PunkyPaul85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Abercromby Square
Pravda

Excellent images from a horrible time. It's great to know that the city has nothing of the dereliction and feeling of free-fall that it had back then.
Abercromby Square no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 61

I've seen them before, as I've visited your site on several occasions. Cracking pics, I must say.

Cheers, Nancy.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #6
fakehippy

I'm not Nancy and Ive never met her, I'm not that old like. Just got onto the thing via the web. Remember those green and yellow buses though. 5p into town. In fact 5p anywhere. Liverpool before the trackies. I suppose this was the real perm and muzzie era.
fakehippy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:15 PM   #7
Gareth
Keltlandia

Well you're still older than me probably. The green and cream buses were the best though. I wish I could remember Cases Street as it is in them photos. Totally unrecognisable when compared to what's there now.
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #8
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Dereliction apart, and probably all the major cities looked like this in the 80s, I'm surprised at how sexy Lpool looks in some of those shots - not just the pretty shots in the snow around St James's Cemetery but the shots of bands and political rallies(?) and long lost vistas. From a contemporary perspective it's easy to dismiss the 80s and the passions that were around then but a lot of great music and writing came out of the city during this period and the way the people of the city got behind the Labour administration was, regardless of how we conceptualise those events now, amazing, truly amazing.

I think the people who stayed and fought for their city throughout that decade are special. I think it's really unfair that they are often under-valued now. I think history will judge them more kindly.
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #9
Gareth
Keltlandia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool8 View Post
...I'm surprised at how sexy Lpool looks in some of those shots
I think everyone forgets how Liverpool looked in the 1980s. It's entered mythology that we imploded back in the seventies and then the place spent a decade being a giant riot venue. The fact is, the city was still there in the eighties but outside of the riots in the early part of the decade and Hillsbrough towards the end of the decade, there appears to be no recorded history whatsoever. You can find tons of books on Liverpool in the firties and sixties, trams, cobbled streets etc. Come to the eighties and it's much harder. That's why I'm a fan of Nancy's photos. It's the best collection of eighties Liverpool photos I know of.
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #10
Tony Sebo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

this is because there was only demolition going on... we lost most of the massive warehouses and infrastructure of the north end only then... until the advent of the MDC and other ***** you could still senxse the mighty seaborne metropolis as was.

It all came tumbling down is a fine portrayal of EXACTLY what was going on during that shit forsaken shithole of a decade!
Tony Sebo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #11
Gareth
Keltlandia

Perhaps. I've read 'It all came tumbling down'. My point is however, it didn't all come tumbling down. A lot of it, maybe. Nancy's photos show that the city continued to go on in the eighties. People went to the shops, work, (get giro?), people still drank in pubs, drove, took buses to places etc. I was only very young back in the eighties but I have memories. It may have had problems (rather big problems) but the city soldiered on. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here today. We'd all be in Skelmersdale, Greater Manchester.
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #12
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sebo View Post
this is because there was only demolition going on... we lost most of the massive warehouses and infrastructure of the north end only then... until the advent of the MDC and other ***** you could still senxse the mighty seaborne metropolis as was.

It all came tumbling down is a fine portrayal of EXACTLY what was going on during that shit forsaken shithole of a decade!
Sorry to disappoint you To' but the 80s are on their way back. Within ten years from now there will be at least one retrospective on the glory that was Lpool in the 80s, mark my words.

I agree that the MDHC/MDHB can outcunt the worst of them. Has anybody written anything or filmed anything about how they ****ed the city over?
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:31 PM   #13
Liverpool8
southcentralLiverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
Perhaps. I've read 'It all came tumbling down'. My point is however, it didn't all come tumbling down. A lot of it, maybe. Nancy's photos show that the city continued to go on in the eighties. People went to the shops, work, (get giro?), people still drank in pubs, drove, took buses to places etc. I was only very young back in the eighties but I have memories. It may have had problems (rather big problems) but the city soldiered on. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here today. We'd all be in Skelmersdale, Greater Manchester.
The reality is that most of it stayed up! We sometimes forget that.
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #14
Tony Sebo
BANNED

there was indeed a lot of vitality still in the city then... enough for a worthwhile retrospective indeed... but its backdrop must be utter freefall and deriliction!

A lot also did stay up.. one of the reasons why we have such heritage freakery now... some people think is is so important that it should dictate the shape of this current stuff?

What disappeared was the very stuff that could have dictated scale and massing etc as it was gargantuan in scale... often diminishing the massive ships that used to berth in those docks etc... all gone of course, along with the brilliant inter war tenements and 60s' blocks... all good lookers, but not so good for actually living in for many families.

Last edited by Tony Sebo; December 28th, 2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old December 29th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #15
Gazzab

Likes (Received): 1

It's amazing how far Liverpool has come since those dark days but a lot of good came out of the city during the 80's. Loads of bands made it big time singing about their hardships and upbringing. And who can ever forget 'Boys From The Black Stuff'?
Gazzab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #16
Tony Sebo
BANNED

the balck stuff was superb, the follow up, boys from, was maudlin and hackneyed even then.... some great cinemaphotography though!