daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands Forum

East Midlands Forum For Nottingham, Derby, Lincoln, Leicester, Corby, Northampton, and Milton Keynes.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 04:52 PM   #1
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 10

NOTTINGHAM | Eastside Building D01 | Office |Pro

http://plan4.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/W...08/02849/PRES4

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Follow Me - Twitter

Last edited by danz013; September 23rd, 2008 at 12:25 AM.
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:38 PM   #2
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3011

33.95 metres tall. 9 floors including plant
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Ranwolf

Likes (Received): 1

Well this is (for me at least) a bit of a (pleasant) surprise. So Eastside really is going ahead hoorah. I'm wondering if getting a tram route through here and to the proposed Sports City might not happen quicker than route 2 will.
Ranwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 10:00 PM   #4
Furrydice

Good to see this progressing - though shame it is one of the more boring buildings. I'd rather they put a landmark building on the site of the old Hooters first. Wonder if this is the building that Bio City are going to take?

Furrydice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:25 AM   #5
danz013
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranwolf View Post
Well this is (for me at least) a bit of a (pleasant) surprise. So Eastside really is going ahead hoorah. I'm wondering if getting a tram route through here and to the proposed Sports City might not happen quicker than route 2 will.
I doubt it lol.

Its interesting to note that neither the developer IS NOT Eastside and City.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Bingethink

Likes (Received): 41

The third picture is the most interesting - this development is all about the urban form, rather than the specifics of the building. (It looks fine, btw).

The mass of the new blocks is what's exciting to me - finally we have some development which shows up how poorly the existing buildings on that site contribute to our city. That horrible low-rise BBC building, and the areas of flat car parking between the other offices on the site are really bad planning.

But if they can deliver the building pattern, and populate the area with enough workers and residents, then we really have something.
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM   #7
ben77

Likes (Received): 32

Looks fine, i wasn't really expecting an amazing design but hopefully the quality will be good and the building will hold its own. What i am disapointed in is that the EMDA & BBC buildings are really going to block this development off (visually) when entering the City from the South. I always assumed that these buildings would get knocked down and rehoused within the development. Just a bit worried that because of these its going to end up looking like a business park..
ben77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM   #8
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 120

Not exactly breathtaking but I quite like it, the plan of that area reminds me a bit of the centre of Milton Keynes
BeestonLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 71

Like the look of this building. It'll certainly have presence in the area. Not sure I like the light coloured panelling though. It'd look better if it was darker IMO.
Is that two towers I see on the 4th render aswell
Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:36 PM   #10
pharmj

Likes (Received): 35

im very under-excited by these plans. from the overpicture above, it looks like we have 8 buildings almost the same, hardly interesting! What of this will we see from the road...the links are terrible between there and the city...i think this needs more work honestly

we need a landmark building where the bbc/emda are...not those lowrise crappy things that are there now!
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:01 PM   #11
Fooby

Likes (Received): 0

Well I think it's great, the block is clearly well designed and I think the street plan is great, hopefully they will vary the design of the eight blocks as they build them. This isn't anything like a business park, it has a clear street plan, doesn't have an ocean of car parking anywhere and it incorporates a retail unit.

I certainly agree that the site needs to be better connected to the rest of the city, the London Road roundabout desperately needs fixing and hopefully Turning Point East that danz mentioned the other day will improve the situation. Is the canal going to be connected to the park? I think that would improve connections.

Like Bingethink said this doesn't need to be landmark architecture, just well designed and there's plenty of room in the rest of the site for interesting architecture. EMDA and the BBC offices can obviously be bulldozed later.

I think it's enormously positive that a developer is coming forward with this in the middle of a downturn and obviously shows the developer still has confidence in the scheme and Nottingham as a whole.
Fooby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM   #12
philkeavo

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeestonLad View Post
Not exactly breathtaking but I quite like it, the plan of that area reminds me a bit of the centre of Milton Keynes
You are spot on it does look like a development you would find in Milton Keynes.
philkeavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM   #13
Ranwolf

Due to engineering problems the canal will not be connected to the water in the park if I remember correctly. The two towers will probably be the "landmark structures" (bar the park) being as they are, at either end of the site. I also see this as a sign of confidence in the city and the scheme.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:14 PM   #14
thompski
Wilderslowe Tower

Likes (Received): 0

I think its a fairly average building - not amazing but not crap either. I agree it is vastly superior to the low rise rubbish such as the BBC building and it would be foolish to expect every building to be cutting edge design.

I can imagine this will be like the Spinningfields development in Manchester or Brindley Place in Birmingham when completed - so should see a few landmark structures alongside some generic buildings.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Ranwolf

I think you have it spot on, it will be a similar project as those developments, with a nice central feature, good transport links and, as each building will be individual, the potential for some interesting buildings alongside some utilitarian ones.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #16
pharmj

Likes (Received): 35

thats true i guess, if there are other buildings of interest, plus we still live in hope for the tower nearby...that would be good. The BBC and EMDA really need to go, and that roundabout modernised...i think some really big modern art on it would be good, something made of steel and marble lit up at night, provide a gateway to the city centre.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #17
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 71

And please, not a Robin Hood statue.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:35 PM   #18
scooby01

Likes (Received): 2

If i remember correctly the emda and bbc buildings are supposed to be replaced during phase 5.

Maybe something like aspire would look good on that island.
scooby01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #19
djfusion777

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompski View Post
I can imagine this will be like the Spinningfields development in Manchester or Brindley Place in Birmingham when completed - so should see a few landmark structures alongside some generic buildings.
Exactly what I thought. The development will be fantastic for the city, and it's great to see concrete proposals, especially in this climate. I'd say it's unlikely that all the office blocks will be identical. In Spinningfields and Brindley Place each building is unique. Birmingham's development has 1.1m sqft of office space (from the official website), so with 1.4m sqft slated for Eastside, our new quarter will be larger.

I was reading about the scheme in the Evening Post and they were saying that hopefully it will be as successful as NG2, how anyone can compare that glorified business park to Eastside I'll never know!
djfusion777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #20
danz013
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfusion777 View Post
I was reading about the scheme in the Evening Post and they were saying that hopefully it will be as successful as NG2, how anyone can compare that glorified business park to Eastside I'll never know!
Despite the fact NG2 is a business park, it is the most successful office space development in the region. Its achieved some of the highest ever rental rates and has attracted some of the biggest names in the region. The biggest take ups of office space have also all been at NG2.

If we could bring that to the Eastside, we're onto a winner. (obviously.. we want to bring everything but the actual design lol).

Follow Me - Twitter

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: