daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > Other States & Territories

Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:37 AM   #1
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Likes (Received): 105

NT/ DARWIN - #REJECTED: $1bn Arafura Harbour (incl 1000 homes)

From NT NEWS

$1billion marina plan for East Point

ARAFURA HARBOUR

NIGEL ADLAM

April 1st, 2009

DEVELOPERS plan to build a billion dollar housing estate, marina and commercial centre in Darwin.

The proposed 1000-home, marina and hotel development would be called Arafura Harbour and stretch from Nightcliff to Fannie Bay.

It would be built behind a 3000m sea wall on mostly reclaimed land and would dwarf Darwin's other two upmarket estates already built at Cullen Bay and Bayview.

Aboriginal traditional owners and Darwin City Council have backed the 12-year project.

The NT Government will consider it after a formal submission is made.

Arafura Harbour is being proposed by Gwelo Developments, which built the 28-storey Mantra Pandanas in Darwin city.

It is being headed by Gwelo boss Even Lynne and project consultant Hans Vos, who designed Cullen Bay.

They hope work will start at the beginning of next dry season.

"This is a project that could really put Darwin on the map," Mr Vos said. "It will provide amenities for locals and tourists. I'm very excited about it."

The development would include:

WATERFRONT houses from $1 million down to more affordable homes at $350,000.

A SEA wall to protect the marina and Ludmilla School from storm surge.

TWO tourist resorts - one five-star, one four-star.

A MARINA for super yachts and a 300-berth public marina.

AN ENTRANCE channel with a three-gate lock from the sea, crossing East Point Rd to the marina and making East Point Rd a cul-de-sac from the channel crossing point.

AN ESTATE of "affordable housing" between Dick Ward Drive and Ludmilla Primary.

A NEW road running from Dick Ward Drive, alongside the old Waratahs oval to East Point Rd, near the Aero-Modellers' Club.

AN ARTIFICIAL beach.

A COMMERCIAL harbour and marina for boats up to 56m long.

SHOPS, restaurants and boat storage facilities.

A FERRY terminal.

AN INTERNATIONAL-standard dragon boat and rowing course.

A BICYCLE and walking track along the beach from Nightcliff to East Point Reserve.

FISHING platforms.

The developers said all civil works and construction could be done by local companies.

They said thousands of jobs would be created, peaking at 7000 during year six.

The marina estate and affordable housing would be built in the first stage.

About 116ha of land would be used for urban development and 219ha open space.

The 62ha Gwalwa Daraniki community along Dick Ward Drive would remain.
wilkiebarkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:53 AM   #2
seanoff

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebarkid View Post
From NT NEWS

$1billion marina plan for East Point

ARAFURA HARBOUR

NIGEL ADLAM

April 1st, 2009

DEVELOPERS plan to build a billion dollar housing estate, marina and commercial centre in Darwin.

The proposed 1000-home, marina and hotel development would be called Arafura Harbour and stretch from Nightcliff to Fannie Bay.

It would be built behind a 3000m sea wall on mostly reclaimed land and would dwarf Darwin's other two upmarket estates already built at Cullen Bay and Bayview.

Aboriginal traditional owners and Darwin City Council have backed the 12-year project.

The NT Government will consider it after a formal submission is made.

Arafura Harbour is being proposed by Gwelo Developments, which built the 28-storey Mantra Pandanas in Darwin city.

It is being headed by Gwelo boss Even Lynne and project consultant Hans Vos, who designed Cullen Bay.

They hope work will start at the beginning of next dry season.

"This is a project that could really put Darwin on the map," Mr Vos said. "It will provide amenities for locals and tourists. I'm very excited about it."

The development would include:

WATERFRONT houses from $1 million down to more affordable homes at $350,000.

A SEA wall to protect the marina and Ludmilla School from storm surge.

TWO tourist resorts - one five-star, one four-star.

A MARINA for super yachts and a 300-berth public marina.

AN ENTRANCE channel with a three-gate lock from the sea, crossing East Point Rd to the marina and making East Point Rd a cul-de-sac from the channel crossing point.

AN ESTATE of "affordable housing" between Dick Ward Drive and Ludmilla Primary.

A NEW road running from Dick Ward Drive, alongside the old Waratahs oval to East Point Rd, near the Aero-Modellers' Club.

AN ARTIFICIAL beach.

A COMMERCIAL harbour and marina for boats up to 56m long.

SHOPS, restaurants and boat storage facilities.

A FERRY terminal.

AN INTERNATIONAL-standard dragon boat and rowing course.

A BICYCLE and walking track along the beach from Nightcliff to East Point Reserve.

FISHING platforms.

The developers said all civil works and construction could be done by local companies.

They said thousands of jobs would be created, peaking at 7000 during year six.

The marina estate and affordable housing would be built in the first stage.

About 116ha of land would be used for urban development and 219ha open space.

The 62ha Gwalwa Daraniki community along Dick Ward Drive would remain.
The bolded bit esp will face HUGE public oppposition. That is a very popular bit of beach and associated BBQ/Picnic area. They want to dredge and put a lock thru there. Given what i've heard on the grapvine and from the member for Fannie Bay this will be a real sticking point. They may want to re-think that one

I know a straight in approach would leave boats in an exposed position but they might be better buiding a wall al la Cullen Bay theat protects the entrance to to lock.

The other problem will be selling $1M + houses to people when those houses are directly under the flight path of military jets. They'll spend their dry seasons with their teeth rattling from jet noise and in the wet with commercial jets taking off at 1.00am directly overhead because of the prevailing winds. + i know of at least 4 aircraft that have gone down in that area, including a Mirage that lost power on takeoff.

and who is going to pay for the ongoing dredging that will be needed to keep a channel open. esp in the proposed position because the tide really races around the area from about 1/2 way up east point. the hydrology modelling there will be interesting.

They also need to move the poo farm and re-direct the sewerage from Fannie Bay to Leanyer/Palmerston. The public would be very unlikely to want to pay for this. + they're spending significant money re-directing sewerage away from the "poo shooter" off Larrakeyah to Fannie Bay.

It looks like a nice concept, but the position of the lock and the position of the development itself may ultimately kill it.
seanoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
wilkiebarkid
Beautiful Mountain

Likes (Received): 105

Yeah,..there's a fair bit to consider. There will be a fair amount of opposition from environmentalists I would suggest.
wilkiebarkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM   #4
SPQRSPQR

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoff View Post
The bolded bit esp will face HUGE public oppposition. That is a very popular bit of beach and associated BBQ/Picnic area. They want to dredge and put a lock thru there. Given what i've heard on the grapvine and from the member for Fannie Bay this will be a real sticking point. They may want to re-think that one

I know a straight in approach would leave boats in an exposed position but they might be better buiding a wall al la Cullen Bay theat protects the entrance to to lock.

The other problem will be selling $1M + houses to people when those houses are directly under the flight path of military jets. They'll spend their dry seasons with their teeth rattling from jet noise and in the wet with commercial jets taking off at 1.00am directly overhead because of the prevailing winds. + i know of at least 4 aircraft that have gone down in that area, including a Mirage that lost power on takeoff.

and who is going to pay for the ongoing dredging that will be needed to keep a channel open. esp in the proposed position because the tide really races around the area from about 1/2 way up east point. the hydrology modelling there will be interesting.

They also need to move the poo farm and re-direct the sewerage from Fannie Bay to Leanyer/Palmerston. The public would be very unlikely to want to pay for this. + they're spending significant money re-directing sewerage away from the "poo shooter" off Larrakeyah to Fannie Bay.

It looks like a nice concept, but the position of the lock and the position of the development itself may ultimately kill it.
It's a concept at this stage. It needs a lot of work but (town planner) Hans is a tenacious fellow. Cullen Bay took him a while to get through the nay-sayers.

FYI; the Larrakeyah poo-shooter is one of seven that go into the tidal harbour. One is located at East Point itself.

Overall, I like the idea. That area is much under used and an eyesore that greets travellers flying into the airport. It's not actually directly under the flight path but I agree that the jet noise could be a problem.

People just look at the removal of the popular BBQ spot. It's just quite possible that another equally manmade BBQ spot could be built near the proposed channel and lock. Besides, if you see what the itinerants get up to on the BBQ's, you'd never have a BBQ there again!

I remember that coastal trading ships used to drop anchor in this area opposite the old golf club. So it's not an entirely unhistoric use.

Also, people that live at "lower-Ludmilla" next to Bagot Reserve can now expect a land value increase: They can sell out and move to the new low-cost housing area in the new development; freeing up land for more low cost housing closer to Bagot Reserve.

The proposal could also, with it's 3km sea wall, protect much of what is now a very exposed coastline from severe storm surge.
SPQRSPQR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #5
finn

Likes (Received): 758

I've also seen a scheme Hans has done for a similar sea-wall/marina proposal between Stokes Hill and Tipperary Waters, running parallel to Frances Bay Drive. Not a bad idea for an otherwise very industrialised waterfront.
finn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #6
seanoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQRSPQR View Post
It's a concept at this stage. It needs a lot of work but (town planner) Hans is a tenacious fellow. Cullen Bay took him a while to get through the nay-sayers.

FYI; the Larrakeyah poo-shooter is one of seven that go into the tidal harbour. One is located at East Point itself.

Overall, I like the idea. That area is much under used and an eyesore that greets travellers flying into the airport. It's not actually directly under the flight path but I agree that the jet noise could be a problem.

People just look at the removal of the popular BBQ spot. It's just quite possible that another equally manmade BBQ spot could be built near the proposed channel and lock. Besides, if you see what the itinerants get up to on the BBQ's, you'd never have a BBQ there again!
I remember that coastal trading ships used to drop anchor in this area opposite the old golf club. So it's not an entirely unhistoric use.

Also, people that live at "lower-Ludmilla" next to Bagot Reserve can now expect a land value increase: They can sell out and move to the new low-cost housing area in the new development; freeing up land for more low cost housing closer to Bagot Reserve.

The proposal could also, with it's 3km sea wall, protect much of what is now a very exposed coastline from severe storm surge.

i know that area of Darwin as well as anyone who lives/has lived here. I've spent may years, running, walking, cycling, generally hanging out in that area. It's generally pretty well kept and a bit far for most of the itinerants, who as you know camp near Mindil, little Mindil and near Vesteys. TBH I've never seen that many up that far.

I have few problems with development itself BUT dredging a channel and putting a lock thru one of Darwin's genuinely pretty areas is probably not going to help get it up. They would be better doing what they did at Cullen bay and have a straight in approach with a protective rock wall.

and I wouildn't be paying big money for the amount of jet noise in that area. those military jets have no noise suppression.
Old April 4th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #7
SPQRSPQR

Lots of itinerant use the popular BBQ area. They do get up that far. I wouldn't use the BBQ's.

The fast-jet noise is a problem/pleasure (depending on how long you've lived in Darwin). It can be heard very loudly all over.
Old April 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #8
SPQRSPQR

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn View Post
I've also seen a scheme Hans has done for a similar sea-wall/marina proposal between Stokes Hill and Tipperary Waters, running parallel to Frances Bay Drive. Not a bad idea for an otherwise very industrialised waterfront.
Was that the one with the man-made island and bridge?
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #9
BNE QLD

Likes (Received): 1

From today's Sunday Territorian online.
BNE QLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #10
Dilaz89

Likes (Received): 1019

looks horrible. Canal homesites- product of the early 1990's.
Dilaz89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #11
crawf
©

Likes (Received): 162

This deserves it own thread.
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #12
BSD

Likes (Received): 248

Yes bad design, easier to get flooded and ruined by high seas especially from monsoonal and cyclonic weather conditions. More risker than Gold Coast.
BSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #13
Holy Frog

<dreaming>
Is now the time to add plans for a bridge to Mandorah?
I measure 6.7klms from East Point to Mandorah and a bridge would be absolutely magic from a development point of view. Better than building at Weddell.....

Singapore's new pedestrian and auto bridges will only (!) cost $68 million for 300m of interesting design, designed with plenty of Australian involvement. I wonder how those costs could translate to building 7 klms.
http://www.ura.gov.sg/New_Bridge/
<dreaming/>
Holy Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #14
SPQRSPQR

A Bridge Too Far
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #15
Burden

Making news -

Quote:

Aagaard pulls plug on marina

April 17th, 2009

STRONG TURNOUT: A public meeting, held by Jane Aagaard at the Nightcliff Sports and Recreation Club, attracted a big crowd last night. Picture: JUSTIN SANSON

DARWIN'S $1 billion Arafura Harbour marina suffered a possibly mortal blow at a public meeting last night when Nightcliff MLA Jane Aagaard declared herself against the project.

Fannie Bay MLA Michael Gunner has already said he will not support a key element of the development - a channel across the East Point Reserve.

It is unlikely that either politician would have opposed the marina even before the planning process had started without believing that the majority of the ALP parliamentary caucus agreed with them.

About 250 people attended an information session at the Nightcliff sports club last night.

Developers Hans Vos and Even Lynne told the meeting that they wanted to build 1000 homes, two resort hotels and a 300-berth marina between Nightcliff and East Point. The development would be protected by a 3km-long sea wall.

Ms Aagaard said she objected to the proposal on three grounds:

THE destruction of large stretches of mangroves;

DIGGING the channel from the sea, across East Point Rd to the marina; and

THE danger of the sea wall altering tide patterns and threatening the already fragile sandstone cliffs at Nightcliff.

Ms Aagaard, who is the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly, said she had toured the mangroves near Ludmilla Creek with an ecologist.

"The mangroves are healthy and are important to the ecosystem," she said.

Ms Aagaard said 90 per cent of the people at last night's meeting were opposed to the project.

She said a surprising number of young people had also spoken out.

"They're upset that we might damage the environment," Ms Aagaard said.

The first question at last night's meeting was asked by Darwin Symphony Orchestra head Martin Jarvis, who lives in the area.
Quote:
Pollies all at sea on marina proposal

April 18th, 2009

THE men behind the $1 billion Arafura Harbour have vowed to push on with the project despite mounting opposition.

Developer Even Lynne and designer Hans Vos said the housing estate would ease Darwin's chronic property shortage.

They want to build 1000 homes, two resort hotels and a 300-berth marina between Nightcliff and East Point. The development would be protected by a 3km-long sea wall.

Mr Vos said property rent was the highest in Australia - $50 a week more than in Sydney.

"And that's mainly because of the shortage of houses," he said.

Planning experts say a total of 1700 homes have to be built in Darwin and Palmerston each year to keep up with demand.

Less than 1000 are being built. The developers gave a 15-minute presentation at a public meeting in Nightcliff on Thursday.

Local MLAs Jane Aagaard and Michael Gunn oppose the project.

Mr Vos said the NT Government should give in-principle support for the development so that a feasibility study could begin.

Chief Minister Paul Henderson said yesterday the Government would not make a final judgment on the project until firm plans were drawn up.

He said Ms Aagaard had a right to speak out against Arafura Harbour as the MLA for Nightcliff.

"There has only been one community meeting," Mr Henderson said.

"I'd encourage the developers to get out and consult the community. Everybody in Darwin has a right to have a good look at this proposal."

The Chief Minister said Arafura had good points, such as investment and jobs, but also several concerns, particularly about the environment.

Early reports said Ms Aagaard was confident she had the support of most Labor MLAs.

But the Northern Territory News was told yesterday that several ALP politicians are sympathetic to Arafura Harbour because it would create jobs and wealth.

Townsville is a picture of exactly the kind of diverse, dynamic regional economy that will power Australia's passage through the years ahead.
Treasurer Wayne Swan
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM   #16
crawf
©

Likes (Received): 162

Source?
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #17
Burden

Clearly NT News.

Townsville is a picture of exactly the kind of diverse, dynamic regional economy that will power Australia's passage through the years ahead.
Treasurer Wayne Swan
Burden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM   #18
SPQRSPQR

The white intelligentsia, led by the Darwin Symphony Orchestra pit boss, has decided to oppose the project. Shame about all those indigenous people that had a brief hope of getting out of the slums.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM   #19
seanoff

Can't say i'm convinced on this project on a few fronts.

the channel as positioned has a huge uphill struggle to start with, whether SPQR thinks this is valid, it will be a huge sticking point.

the economics worry me as well. the NTG (waterfront corp) have the marine infrastructure @ $41M and roads at $12M for a sea wall of 510m but that was last yr. The NT govt have chucked in 280M . so taking out the convention centre at 105M that leaves marine + roads at $175M. take out $30M for the car park and pool that leave $145M for the wall + fill.

so a 3000m sea wall is going to cost a fair chunk as will the immense amount of fill needed for 1000 home sites etc on top of a mangrove swamp. a channel across East Point and associated dredging will hardly be cheap. The land must come at a cost.

Given that, i can't see houses to be able to be sold for the quoted numbers. I have a suspicion that the land will be for sale for the prices quoted in the first article, houses an optional extra.

The northern section and even some of the section out towards East Point appears to be in between the 20 - 25 ANEFs. http://www.nt.gov.au/lands/planning/...rounds2006.pdf The northern blocks are very close to the 25 ANEF where houses are unacceptable. These ANEFs do not take into account low level military operations. So move those lines out a bit (a lot). the fleet mix for the ANEFs are here http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/..._fleet_mix.pdf. I would assume that the houses between the 20 - 25 ANEFs would need noise suppression tech as suggested in the std adding to their cost.

Give the odd aircraft has ditched in that area, including one this year, the development may face opposition from Airservices Australia, CASA and DoD on safety grounds. The airforce may also be less than amenable to more people griping about jet noise.

The 25 ANEF runs along Pfitzer Dve, military jet noise on Pfitzer Dve is plenty loud. Those blocks in this dev on that axis would be heavily affected by jet noise which must surely effect their value and therefore possible return.
Old April 26th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #20
SPQRSPQR

The developers have stated that they are not looking for NTG handouts, unlike the waterfront development. They have stated that they will fund it themselves. That being the case, I say good luck to them.

The land has little value apart from the cost of maintaining it's ecology at present. The developers are already paying a fee to the nearby traditional owners. Darwin City Council are a bit rich asking for compensation at the future value of the developed land. If they want to do that then they would have to have equity in the development. I can't see that they should put the ratepayer at such financial risk.

As far as jet noise it concerned, it is highly audible from anywhere in Darwin. And when the fast jets conduct their annual exercises, the noise is deafening no matter where you are. The RAAF jet-jocks are not required to stick to any flight path (but they do try to minimise inconvenience) and they have the highest priority over runway use to the extent that commercial jets just have to wait for them to finish.

As a kid growing up in Darwin in the 60's and 70's, I can remember the British RAF Vulcan bombers flying low and fast over Fannie Bay. Now that made you jump!