daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #1
nigeman

Likes (Received): 979

Whatever Happened to:

Hi all, thought we could do with a discussion thread to enquire if anyone as the heads up on projects that seem to have gone quiet or disappeared, without bumping the thread and annoying us all.

I just wonder if these six are still going to materialise!

1) Unity House and the Armouries - gone quiet of late, despite finance supposedly in place?

2) Upper Dean Street student block (10 floors) - We were told last autumn we were going to get an April or late spring start but that damn surface car park is still taking money?

3) Exeter Passage/Irving Street/Bow Street apartments (5- 8 floors) (behind one of the sentinals) - Nothing seems to be happening here at all?

4) 49-51 Holloway Head - Large PRS scheme up to 14 floors in several blocks (over 500 apartments). A real game changer for the area were it to go ahead but alas still no news or movement.

5) Lancaster Gateway/ Vesey Street- Various tower proposals on a prime site, within the Snow hill masterplan district and would provide a great statement as you come in on the A38, time for another proposal at least I think?

6) Eastside Locks building 5 and Belmont House - We were told a spring start but still stalling here, would be great to keep the momentum going for this area and Jennens Rd.

Brum X, RalphGuy, ROYAL BLUE, VDB liked this post
nigeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #2
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 3118

Whatever happened to Harry Ramsden's?

.... what? Have I not got the hang of this thread?!?!?

ROYAL BLUE, Razor01 liked this post
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #3
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 6562

What happened to: Forumer Birmingham??

PerpetualBrum, Razor01 liked this post
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #4
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
Hi all, thought we could do with a discussion thread to enquire if anyone as the heads up on projects that seem to have gone quiet or disappeared, without bumping the thread and annoying us all.

I just wonder if these six are still going to materialise!

1) Unity House and the Armouries - gone quiet of late, despite finance supposedly in place?

2) Upper Dean Street student block (10 floors) - We were told last autumn we were going to get an April or late spring start but that damn surface car park is still taking money?

3) Exeter Passage/Irving Street/Bow Street apartments (5- 8 floors) (behind one of the sentinals) - Nothing seems to be happening here at all?

4) 49-51 Holloway Head - Large PRS scheme up to 14 floors in several blocks (over 500 apartments). A real game changer for the area were it to go ahead but alas still no news or movement.

5) Lancaster Gateway/ Vesey Street- Various tower proposals on a prime site, within the Snow hill masterplan district and would provide a great statement as you come in on the A38, time for another proposal at least I think?

6) Eastside Locks building 5 and Belmont House - We were told a spring start but still stalling here, would be great to keep the momentum going for this area and Jennens Rd.

Nice idea Nige.

It`s not long since Unity House was announced, a few months or so. I`m not expecting to hear anything about that for a while.

Wasn`t there a suggestion that Upper Dean St was going to start in April? There was definitely news it was going to be starting soon.

Don`t get me on Holloway Head and Irving St/Bow St. Driving me mad. Someone at a consultation said to me he thought the landowners were landbanking or they may have got their sums wrong.

As for Eastside Locks, I forgot to say (oops) that I emailed them about a month ago and they responded to say that they were having discussions with potential occupiers for the next phase so they were no longer looking to build them speculatively but were intending a bespoke development instead. Sorry, forgot to say before.

One issue I want to raise is the Icknield Port Loop Phase One planning application. At the consultation in late March, they told me they were looking at having the app in for mid-April. WTF. It`s now almost mid-May.

Kingsheathen liked this post

Last edited by RalphGuy; May 12th, 2017 at 06:29 PM.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #5
PerpetualBrum
❤ Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 6192

Unity and Armouries

Quote:
Proposal: Non-Material Amendment attached to approval 2010/02473/PA for revised internal apartment layout, revised window and balcony design and other minor elevational changes, reduction in car parking spaces from 98 to 88, addition of rooftop amenity space and overall increase in height by 1m.

The application has been
approved on 24 March 2017 subject to:

1. Changes to the existing window positions due to revised internal layouts. The number of windows and the window dimensions would remain the same.
2. Bolt on balconies would be removed from the internal courtyard.
3. Changes are proposed to the layout of the basement as there is a greater need for plant equipment
which would result in the loss of 10 car parking spaces. 79 secure cycle spaces and 88 secure car parking spaces would be provided.
4. Glass balustrades on the roof tops and Juliette balconies would be replaced with PPC steel.
5. The communal rooftop terraces would increase in size to provide more outdoor amenity space for residents.
6. Central boiler flues are proposed on the roof of both the Unity and Armouries buildings 1m above the highest point.
7. The small commercial unit to the Unity building ground floor would be used as a cycle store to the right hand side of the ramp. The bin store to Bromsgrove Street elevation would be clad with high quality PPC
louvres.
8. The proposed internal layout has changed resulting in larger bed spaces from that approved.
9. PV panels are proposed on the roof.
10. The Armouries building would increase in height by 1m and there would be several minor fašade changes.
11. A new entrance is proposed on the Armouries building on Lower Essex Street with double height glazing.
12. The layout of the ground floor apartment on the Armouries building would be revised to allow a double height entrance space.
13. The Armouries basement would be altered to deal with the change in level and street access to core D would be moved to the other side of the transformer.
14. A new bicycle store would be located in the same entrance to commercial bin store on the Armouries building.

LocalVernacular, Kingsheathen liked this post
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #6
LocalVernacular
...you can call me LoVe.

Likes (Received): 229

There was a lot of movement on the Unity House and Armouries sites a few months ago - the car park equipment was removed, the site secured and marking out took place. But yes, no movement since then.

Good to see from Perpetual's update that things are moving along - I'm wandering if this site will again be used for the Pride main stage? If so, maybe work will then start on-site during the summer...
LocalVernacular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #7
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 4166

Whatever happened to pretty much any development in Bilston? The Orchard, the High Street link, the town part of the Urban Village, they all seem to have died. And whatever happened to the tower block for Station Street (BilYob)?

BilYob is what my phone autocorrexts Bilston to. lovely.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON [WMCA] GREATER BIRMINGHAM
DBadger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #8
depechemad

Likes (Received): 59

The likely lads
depechemad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 01:39 AM   #9
NeilM
That's Dr to you

Likes (Received): 177

Leon Trotsky

BoldTeddy liked this post
NeilM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #10
cameronxdegziade

Likes (Received): 46

The Beneficial Building in Paradise Circus!
Its my pet hate and I pass it twice a day and cringe! A complete eye-sore! Even if they just remove the scaffolding it would be nice because it is not that bad underneath.
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #11
Razor01

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronxdegziade View Post
Its my pet hate and I pass it twice a day and cringe! A complete eye-sore! Even if they just remove the scaffolding it would be nice because it is not that bad underneath.
I totally agree!
Razor01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #12
nigeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronxdegziade View Post

In my predictions/hopes for 2017,I wanted to see this demolished and a nice tower matching Alpha opposite proposed for this site....can't believe there as been no announcement for it, even to say its fallen through.
Old May 13th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #13
nigeman

A couple of projects that really confuse and irritate me in their inability to move forward:
The apartment scheme at 70 Constitution Hill..slap bang next to St Paul's metro stop that takes you straight New Street, whats not to like for a developer to make money from this and..
The Edgbaston Mill site opposite the cricket ground, for me an unbelievable location for an hotel, seen various proposals all coming to nothing. Would improve the outlook of visitors and the outlook of Birmingham globally when all the cameras are there. The same for the site next door to the cricket ground/whats not to like for developers here too?

ellbrown liked this post
Old May 16th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #14
Bureau des etrangers
Jersey's finest

Likes (Received): 2464

Whatever happened to Elizabeth Kinoke and Ilikeconcrete
Bureau des etrangers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #15
damo1969

Likes (Received): 8

Holloway head is a baffler 2 massive schemes and the San fransisco esq Gough street but none look imminent a real waste of huge plots !
damo1969 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:01 AM   #16
nigeman

Whatever happened to the Bullring extension. I thought they were seriously looking at a leisure based expansion towards the markets area... do we assume this is mothballed until Smithfield comes to light?
Old May 28th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #17
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeman View Post
Whatever happened to the Bullring extension. I thought they were seriously looking at a leisure based expansion towards the markets area... do we assume this is mothballed until Smithfield comes to light?
That is a contradiction in terms right? It can't be mothballed if it is awaiting Smithfields?

What is more likely is that it has been mothballed following Hammerson taking over Grand Central.

Now I was barely seventeen with a pocket full of hope. Screamin', dollar and a dream with my closet lookin' broke
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #18
sefton66

Likes (Received): 4005

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
That is a contradiction in terms right? It can't be mothballed if it is awaiting Smithfields?

What is more likely is that it has been mothballed following Hammerson taking over Grand Central.
True but they wanted to add more of a leisure offer though

I think they were hoping on taking the pavilions before primark to be honest, were yet to see what will happen when sports direct leave, that could see something as it's a large unit and leads out to the markets site
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #19
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
True but they wanted to add more of a leisure offer though

I think they were hoping on taking the pavilions before primark to be honest
I doubt that. It was never for sale. Primark brought it off the books. I can't image the previous owners were having conversations with a number of potential buyers. They got an offer and sold out.

In Grand Central, Bullying has significantly increased its leisure offer through the restaurants that are located there.

What we do know is that the masterplan for Smithfields shows a redeveloped indoor, rag and outdoor markets. However, if i am correct, these are managed by the Council apart from the indoor market which is contracted to Hammerson i think. Who knows who will ultimately run that area or whether Hammerson are invited to run the elements again.

Now I was barely seventeen with a pocket full of hope. Screamin', dollar and a dream with my closet lookin' broke
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #20
ellbrown
flickr ell brown

Likes (Received): 5822

What about Touchwood phase 2 in Solihull?