daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2007, 03:20 PM   #141
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 2833

Mmmm and Telford's is rather more futuristic and modern, it has to be said. But Sutton's is okay.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #142
Delirium
Sexy Astronaut

Likes (Received): 2509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
What was your reason for checking out the centre of the universe, then? Thanks for the pics - shame about the weather.

This is a pretty depressing shot.
i like that, it beats my local high street.
Old October 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #143
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 853

Plus bonus points for not being brown
Telfordboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #144
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1328

Any shots of Brassington Avenue lately?
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #145
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 230

No point, there's nothing happening. They're just moving soil around all the time.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #146
GrAfiK_248

Likes (Received): 364

Very Annoying.
GrAfiK_248 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #147
GrAfiK_248

Something for Erdington, im pleased about.

http://www.thisissuttoncoldfield.co....=sidebarsearch

New life for YMCA site

AMY BOWEN

10:30 - 26 October 2007

Erdington's dilapidated YMCA site could be set for a £9m redevelopment, which has been given the thumbs up by local residents.

The proposed new site will house 85 self-contained flats, housed within developed gardens and communal areas.The site will also contain a major community centre and facilities including a music studio, conference room and prayer room. These will be open to the local community to use as well as YMCA residents.

The site, which currently caters for 'phase one' homeless people, who are in urgent need of housing, but after the development will cater for the lower 'phase two' category.

"The local residents are happy that what has been a trouble spot will be turned into a new development," said Stockland Green councillor Penny Holbrook.

"If YMCA deliver on their promises this site could be of great benefit to the area, I am keen to see that they do. The residents of Erdington must come first and their concerns must be treated with the respect they deserve. "I will do all I can to ensure that happens."

A modern and innovative building has been designed to compliment other buildings in the vicinity and funds are being raised from the private market.

Representatives from Erdington Residents Association met with YMCA bosses last week to seek assurance that any new buildings would not spoil the view from houses neighbouring the site.

"The YMCA site is in major need of redevelopment," said Brenda Moran, chairperson of the Erdington Residents Association.

"The waste ground where they plan to build has been an eyesore and a focal point for anti-social behaviour for several years. If YMCA can develop the site, keep it safe and maintain it, it will be a great benefit to the community as a whole."

Birmingham's YMCA Chief Executive, Alan Fraser, said they were all excited about the plans.

"It will be a flagship development that will help fill a much needed gap the city's stock of supported accommodation," he said.

"The site will also hold a community centre with a range of facilities that will be open to everyone.

"We believe this scheme will really positive addition to the local area and are thrilled to be the first YMCA in the UK to have be involved in such a forward-thinking development."
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #148
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Why would there be a YMCA in Erdington? What young men would want to camp it up round there?
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #149
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 1328

The YMCA isn't an exclusive club for gentlemen of a certain pursuasion! It's always been a very important organisation for any community offering all kinds of activities. I think you've confused it with the Village People Butters!!
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #150
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Oh I know what a YMCA really is MSP (not that I've ever stayed in one ) and I used the word 'camp' in its original form.
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #151
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

The scaffolding and sheeting has come down off the building on the High Street. I think it has become offices for Frank Knight - although I can't tell if the banner is just a posh 'for sale' sign or the banner to say that the building is home to Frank Knight. Either way, it look very good - and I think they got the clock working too!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old October 30th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #152
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

OK, this is new Knight Frank offices. They have gone into overkill with all the panels and signs though.

Old October 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #153
GrAfiK_248

I really don't like the purply blue windows, not nice. But overall i like it.

Hope this trend of mid rises continues along birmingham road.
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #154
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Which building is this? I'm talking about the building on the High Street

Old October 30th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #155
GrAfiK_248

On the birmingham road, closely opposite the post office.

oh opps, im talking about erdington. duhh
Old October 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #156
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

No problemo.

Old October 30th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #157
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 185

hey, jus went runnin through sutton and noticed a couple of things.
In the centre above super cigs is like a greyish wall, and there seems to be some projection on it about west midlands police and helpful numbers etc which i thought was gd if your in trouble etc, lol thought i wud share that! :P
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #158
Mercurius

Likes (Received): 185

oh yeh also saw how brightly lit the old odeon is now called "Empire cinema" coming up from the town centre towards birmingham its all lit up on the side. And the church (i think is catholic) on the hill jus past the SuttonCollege was very bright as i went past. gd stuff.
Mercurius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #159
Telfordboy
Fus-Ro-Dah!

Likes (Received): 853

Hey Erebus, can you do me a favour and tell me the name of the street in Sutton where all the buses stop? I think its outside M&S.
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #160
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

The Parade. Though some people might refer to it as the Upper Parade, or the Lower Parade - I don't know the difference.