daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Old May 12th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #181
CHT

Likes (Received): 17

With PSA port and companies from the supporting industries moving to Tuas, I think it will make more sense for CIL to have direct connection to Tuas instead of Tengah.

For JRL, I would think that in future, it will be part of the southern coastal line , connecting West Coast to the city instead of running it as part of CIL.
CHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 13th, 2014, 05:20 AM   #182
pioneerboy

Likes (Received): 1

Most of the new Jurong Region Line plan (MRT) [JRL 2.0] was actually already in the 2001 Concept Plan as a "mystery" MRT line, along with the original Jurong Region Line plan (LRT) [JRL 1.0]; Somehow, the second version of Jurong Region Line is a combination of mostly the "mystery" MRT line and a bit of the first version of Jurong Region Line.

The "mystery" MRT line in 2001 Concept Plan was to originate from Jurong Island, run along Jalan Boon Lay, make a cut into Jurong Central Park and somewhat make a perpendicular interchange with Boon Lay EWL station, somehow cut through two/three HDB estates, run along Jurong West Avenue 2, enter Hong Kah (Tengah) via Hong Kah Flyover area, cut across Hong Kah (Tengah) to Choa Chu Kang NSL station (probably via Choa Chu Kang Avenue 3). This looks familiar, isn't it?

In the first version of JRL, the proposed lrt line was to serve Nanyang Technological University, and the area between Chinese Garden and Jurong East. Now, these are part of the second version of Jurong Region Line - now a proposed Mass Rapid Transit System which makes up most of the "mystery" MRT line in the 2001 Concept Plan.

In the 2001 Concept Plan, there was another "mystery" MRT line that was to originate from Hong Kah (Tengah), cut through Bukit Batok West, interchange with Bukit Batok NSL station, run into Holland Road probably via Bukit Batok East Avenue 3 and western boarder of Ngee Ann Polytechnic, interchange with Holland Village CCL station, continue to run along Holland Road to Orchard Road and eastwards to the Central Business District area. I suppose the Government feels that this is rather redundant to supply when there is already the Downtown Line running along Upper Bukit Timah Road and Bukit Timah Road, that this idea might have been scrapped.

I suppose the Government wants to rationalize the resources and ensure the MRT resources are fairly distributed across the island, thus rather than over-supply MRT resources at Bukit Timah region with this other "mystery" MRT line (which many people call it "Holland Line"), they decided to create a new MRT section between Tengah and West Coast, probably with the intention of making it a separate line and extend it eastwards to the City in future, to supply MRT resources at where there is a "deficit" of MRT resources: areas along the Ayer Rajah Expressway, where there is usually traffic congestion problems around and during peak hours - similar to how the western section of Downtown Line was planned.

Meanwhile, in the 2001 Concept Plan, there are a few blue lines in the west area which I did not mention. I suppose they are now part of Cross Island MRT Line.

In short, this is how I think the Jurong Region Line Mass Rapid Transit system would be:
1.0 Main line from Choa Chu Kang to Jurong Industrial Estate via Tengah, Jurong West Avenue 2/Jalan Bahar/Jalan Boon Lay(at blk 168-172, which would be replaced and demolished soon under SERS) and Jalan Boon Lay.
1.1 Branch line from Jurong West (blk 168-172 area) to Nanyang Technological University, via Jalan Bahar and Clean Tech Park. Similar to Circle Line Extension, I suppose there will be services from CCK to NTU during peak hours, and shuttle services from Jurong West to NTU during other hours.
2.0 Stage one of West Coast Line (I name this myself, after West Coast Road which is parallel to most sections of the possible future new MRT line to city) from Tengah to West Coast. As mentioned, I believe the plans released last year were only indicative. I believe after the feasibility and engineering studies are completed next year, the Government will announce a third MRT line to be built to anticipate 2030, with this Tengah-West Coast section being the first stage.

Last edited by pioneerboy; May 13th, 2014 at 08:05 AM.
pioneerboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #183
pioneerboy

Likes (Received): 1

Adding on to the Jurong Region Line being present in the 2001 Concept Plan as a "mystery" Mass Rapid Transit system, it seems that the line was also present in the 1991 Concept Plan (page 16/17) as a 9-station Light Rail Transit system running from Bukit Batok NSL station to Pulau Merlimau (Jurong Island), via Hong Kah (Tengah), Bulim (Wenya), Boon Lay EWL station and Jalan Boon Lay.

Taking reference from the Circle and Downtown (Tampines section) Mass Rapid Transit systems that we have today, which were also present in the 1991 Concept Plan as Light Rail Transit systems, it seems that the Jurong Region Line will be a medium-capacity Mass Rapid Transit system.

The alignment and stations shown in the 1991 Concept Plan may give an idea on the alignment and stations of Jurong Region Line Mass Rapid Transit system.

Based on the 1991 Concept Plan and using the drawing tools on OneMap.sg to draw relatively straight/smooth lines, this is how I think the alignment of Jurong Region Line would be like in Jurong West and Jurong Industrial Estate:

pioneerboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote