daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old January 26th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #1
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 454

Benton, Longbenton, Forest Hall & Killingworth Area - Developments

By now (January 2010) quite a few areas of Newcastle, South Northumberland, North Tyneside, South Tyneside and Gateshead have their own "Area Developments" threads on our Forum.

One area of North Tyneside though, that does not seem to have one is the Benton, Forest Hall and Killingworth area.

I am sure there are (and will be) various issues in this area to discuss, on this new thread . . .

FOR INFO . . .

Quote:
This "Benton, Forest Hall & Killingworth" thread is NOT intended to include the area (that is often referred to as "Longbenton") which comprises the very large HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) Office Complex called 'Benton Park View'.

This office complex is also sometimes known as "The Ministry" and/or "The DSS".

As those HMRC offices are in East Newcastle (and not actually in Longbenton, though it is accessed via Longbenton Metro Station) it is being covered
on the "East End - Developments" thread.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1004129

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; February 27th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 31st, 2010, 08:46 PM   #2
kieron79

Likes (Received): 0

The whole development of the Killingworth Centre has been a joke.

The Killingworth Centre has been there since 2000 I believe and it s a massive missed opportunity! Its full of shite shops!!! I try and avoid going there if possible, I prefer to travel to Whitley Bay Sainsburys as it has the best range ( the one in Heaton does not have as many lines of stock).
the thing about going into Morrisons and this is going to sound really snobby here so sorry, but its got some bloody awful clientele!

There are pockets of Killingworth that are OK (Im actually from there originally) but it will never quite shake off that 'new town' stigma.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 28th, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 09:02 PM   #3
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
:The whole development of the Killingworth Centre has been a joke.

The Killingworth Centre has been there since 2000 I believe and it s a massive missed opportunity! Its full of shite shops!!! I try and avoid going there if possible, I prefer to travel to Whitley Bay Sainsburys as it has the best range ( the one in Heaton does not have as many lines of stock).
the thing about going into Morrisons and this is going to sound really snobby here so sorry, but its got some bloody awful clientele!

There are pockets of Killingworth that are OK (Im actually from there originally) but it will never quite shake off that 'new town' stigma.

It's not full though, it's been there all that time and still it's not full, and what is there is complete rubbish, and I agree with you alot of people there are less desirable. I have family who live there, and one of my mams friends live there, it's not somewhere I would wish to live, but Killingworth Village seems a rather nice place though.

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; August 28th, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Chatton11

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron79 View Post
Yeah thats the one! TBH I aint been to one in years so thought I would give it a go, reckon al be back soon , also noticed whilst I was there that the new pub is coming along well too, due to open in May I think. I live in Forest Hall so probs wont go there that often when it opens but it will be a welcome addition I suppose if they keep the charvers out.
So which pubs do you go in in Forest Hall? We occasionally go to the coach for food, but sometimes it seems a little low on atmosphere.
Chatton11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:55 PM   #5
kieron79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatton11 View Post
So which pubs do you go in in Forest Hall? We occasionally go to the coach for food, but sometimes it seems a little low on atmosphere.
Sometimes go into the Coach but as you say though can be lacking in atmosphere. TBH would not go near any of the other one ie Scotsman, Fusileer etc. We tend to drink on Gosforth High Street, thats the one thing I miss about living there, the wealth of bars available. I have always thought a little bar next to Amicis would be great but would probs never be able to get licence (even though a unit has been empty next door for years!!
kieron79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 676

Any idea where in the area this herd are situated and who the sculptor was?

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #7
upnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Any idea where in the area this herd are situated and who the sculptor was?

This is Killingworth isn't it? No idea about the sculptor though...
upnorth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
This is Killingworth isn't it? No idea about the sculptor though...
Yes, it's Garth 22 at KILLINGWORTH, built in the 1970's.

Here is a wider view of the herd.

There are similar sculptures in Glenrothes, Fife, Scotland - see http://uk.loadedweb.com/cities/fife/...ures/1330.html

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #9
growly grace

Likes (Received): 60

Henderson Hall

I am coming out of lurking mode because I really want to know the origins of a building I came across on Sunday.
Behind Newcastle University's Henderson Hall of Residence in Benton there is a much earlier building it looks like college it surrounded by serious sports grounds, big metal gates with "C H".Whats the history here?

Incidentally I have always thought that the University has had way to much land and this has not been "good" at all for the city.
growly grace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #10
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by growly grace View Post
I am coming out of lurking mode because I really want to know the origins of a building I came across on Sunday.
Behind Newcastle University's Henderson Hall of Residence in Benton there is a much earlier building it looks like college it surrounded by serious sports grounds, big metal gates with "C H".Whats the history here?

Incidentally I have always thought that the University has had way to much land and this has not been "good" at all for the city.
Had a good scout about to see if I could find anything 'historical' on HENDERSON HALL but to no avail. Wonder if the the initials could mean Cochrane House?

Anyway just to add something, the buildings were not there in 1898, see this scan from the 1898 OS map. So you are looking for something that was built in fairly 'recent' times.

This is an aerial view from 1945 courtesy of GOOGLE EARTH

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #11
Steve Ellwood

I see the Duke of Northumberland is proposing a 450 house development at Scaffold Hill Farm, Whitley Road, Benton, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE - Planning Application on the North Tyneside site @ http://idoxpublicaccess.northtynesid...=LPAK32BH09700

Residential development of 450 dwellings (including affordable housing), local community facilities including retail (A1) and surgery (D1), extension to Rising Sun Country Park with associated habitat landscape and recreational improvements and works to surrounding highways infrastructure

Quite a sizeable development if it gets passed.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Last edited by Steve Ellwood; November 15th, 2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Updated URL
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #12
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Controversial Benton estate plans revealed
by Sonia Sharma, Evening Chronicle, August 18th 2011

CONTROVERSIAL plans have been revealed to build a major residential estate in a Tyneside green area.

The proposals include 450 homes, a GP surgery, shops and new allotments at Scaffold Hill Farm, on Whitley Road, Benton, North Tyneside.

Plans drawn up by the Duke of Northumberland’s business arm, Northumberland Estates, have been lodged with North Tyneside Council.

The developer says 90 of the new houses would be affordable and aimed at young people unable to get on to the housing ladder.

The scheme also proposes a 100-acre extension to the existing Rising Sun Country Park, with new recreational areas, cycle and footways, and a range of wildlife habitats including a network of ponds to support great-crested newts.

A further 25% of the land would be designated as “green” space, comprising landscaping, a linear park, wildlife corridors, play areas and secure pedestrian and cycle routes linked to other parts of North Tyneside.

Northumberland Estates is planning a series of public exhibitions to give people a chance to discuss its masterplan

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1VYlmvr00
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:50 AM   #13
pottersmellyfeet

Hello there,the old job centre in forest hall is going to be a Sambuca's

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; November 2nd, 2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Copied 'for info', from Restaurants Thread
pottersmellyfeet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:44 AM   #14
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 125

Photo CV wanted, sure they're choosing their staff based on how well qualified then!
Irish Blood English Heart está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #15
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Controversial Benton estate plans revealed
by Sonia Sharma, Evening Chronicle, August 18th 2011

CONTROVERSIAL plans have been revealed to build a major residential estate in a Tyneside green area.

The proposals include 450 homes, a GP surgery, shops and new allotments at Scaffold Hill Farm, on Whitley Road, Benton, North Tyneside.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1VYlmvr00

Plans for 450 new houses in Benton green space
by Sonia Sharma, Evening Chronicle, November 8th 2011

Artist's impression of plans at Scaffold Hill Farm, Whitley Road, Benton, North Tyneside

A MAJOR scheme has been unveiled to build a new residential estate in a green area at Scaffold Hill Farm, on Whitley Road, in Benton, North Tyneside.

Northumberland Estates, the Duke of Northumberland’s business arm, has drawn up proposals for 450 houses at Scaffold Hill Farm, on Whitley Road, in Benton, North Tyneside.

If approved, the development will include a doctor’s surgery, allotments, new shops and leisure facilities.

The homes would also be eco-friendly.

In addition, the project proposes a 100-acre extension to the existing Rising Sun Country Park.

Colin Barnes, Northumberland Estates’ director of planning, said: “We are delighted to share our plans for the development of Scaffold Hill."

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1d7R24ZVk
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #16
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 125

The Duke of Northumberland seems to be doing his best to piss off people all over the county with various unpopular developments.
Irish Blood English Heart está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #17
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
The Duke of Northumberland seems to be doing his best to piss off people all over the county with various unpopular developments.

Not just in Northumberland, in North Tyneside also, it seems!
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #18
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I've went through those plans and personally I approve of them. They seem to have carried out a very large amount of research about the impact any development would have on local wildlife and included of the plans they set aside quite a large amount of land a side for an extension to Rising sun county park and even in the development area it has quite a large amount of green space and water areas for all sort of wild life.

I have to say it seems to be fairly sustainable and I myself would agree more with an environmentalist who's carried out research on the site (though be it on part of those who want to build on it) then Holystone action group who only say it will negatively impact on the site with no research to actually back it up.

The only real negative on the development I could find is that in consideration with the size of the development the amount of affordable housing planned is small though you would also have to consider that the buses around there a mostly middle class in anyway and we also lack the amount of middle class housing in North Tyneside.

Rising sun county park have so far themselves have not spoke out about this development, and as they are are quite a large area to extend on to and after seeing the sum of money they could receive if the development goes ahead then I can't actually see them speaking out against it. Not only that but large amounts of money have been set aside of highways upgrading and also money set aside to deliver more busses to the developed area.

I've had a look at the negative comments on the landing site and so far it only seems t be people who will lose a view who have a problem with the plans and those who follow Holystone action group, non of which from what I can see have any credible ground to oppose the development.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #19
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
I've went through those plans and personally I approve of them. They seem to have carried out a very large amount of research about the impact any development would have on local wildlife and included of the plans they set aside quite a large amount of land a side for an extension to Rising sun county park and even in the development area it has quite a large amount of green space and water areas for all sort of wild life.

I have to say it seems to be fairly sustainable and I myself would agree more with an environmentalist who's carried out research on the site (though be it on part of those who want to build on it) then Holystone action group who only say it will negatively impact on the site with no research to actually back it up.

The only real negative on the development I could find is that in consideration with the size of the development the amount of affordable housing planned is small though you would also have to consider that the buses around there a mostly middle class in anyway and we also lack the amount of middle class housing in North Tyneside.

Rising sun county park have so far themselves have not spoke out about this development, and as they are are quite a large area to extend on to and after seeing the sum of money they could receive if the development goes ahead then I can't actually see them speaking out against it. Not only that but large amounts of money have been set aside of highways upgrading and also money set aside to deliver more busses to the developed area.

I've had a look at the negative comments on the landing site and so far it only seems t be people who will lose a view who have a problem with the plans and those who follow Holystone action group, non of which from what I can see have any credible ground to oppose the development.
The only 'fear' that I have about this proposed development is that the infrastructure will be put in and then it will end up as another 'Smiths Dock' saga with no houses being built for years.

A mate of mine has lived for years at St Aidens Square, Benton Square and I always remember telling him at a BBQ in his garden that he should enjoy the views whilst he could as to me the land to the south was prime for development and sure enough within 4 years a new estate and road by pass had sprung up spoiling that uninterrupted view over the fields towards Battle Hill.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #20
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I was speaking to a North Tyneside councillor and she said the site currently has permission for industrial units.

If thats the case then surely the new mixed development proposals are better.

Newcastle Metro Area

Tags
development, developments, developments - newc forum, newcastle, north tyneside