SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chennai | Bus Terminals | MTC Bus | Other Road Transport Updates

4M views 14K replies 601 participants last post by  thillai_selvan 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is dedicated to updates on Chennai Metropolitan transport corporation (buses operated by Tamilnadu government) and Suburban train services operated by Southern Railways.

These two are the lifeline of public transportation in Chennai Metropolitan currently.

Dedicated thread is needed as we see lots of improvement in MTC for past 2 years.

I request members to post news/projects regarding MTC and Suburban in this thread instead of Chennai projects thread.

#1,421 ·
I saw the following volvos

M170C Thiru Vi. Ka. Nagar - Guindy industrial estate - 2 one was in guindy estate n i saw the other near cmbt on the opposite side.
7F - Anna Nagar West - Broadway
24A - Anna Nagar West - Vivekanandhar illam
70A
114 ct
47A
I saw one M170C, 24A, 114cut in Anna nagar depot and 7F approaching anna nagar depot.....But all of them are ADI registered as it was done with the previous lot...

I saw one 7F deluxe belonging to CDI in Anna nagar west depot.....Golden Chariot KMS built...
I checked Anna Nagar West Time Keeper and he said no 7F AC Volvo bus was introduced. It really dissapointed me. My fav bys route is 7F and follower of the bus since 15 Years. It used to be the best maintained route augumented with new busus in AN Depot. Now its just opposite. I dont know why it lost its sheer imporatance.

#1,422 ·
Spotted a volvo bus on a new route : K70. I think it is between ambatur industrial estate and tambaram but not sure. All I could see in the LED board were the places it went through, i.e wavin, thirumangalam, cmbt, pallavaram. I spotted another volvo on 114 route. The inner part of the windshield had a paper which read something about it being the 1000th bus. If anyone gets to see that please let me what is written there.
K70 Might be from Moggapair West to Tambaram. I heard from my friends staying in Moggapair West that new AC Volvo Bus introduced to Tambaram and also saw the news in Times of India without mentioning the route number.

#1,423 ·
I checked Anna Nagar West Time Keeper and he said no 7F AC Volvo bus was introduced. It really dissapointed me. My fav bys route is 7F and follower of the bus since 15 Years. It used to be the best maintained route augumented with new busus in AN Depot. Now its just opposite. I dont know why it lost its sheer imporatance.
Oh I am really sorry for that:eek:hno: but I just think I saw one near the depot signal. I too was not able to see it after that. I saw one volvo on the other 7 route....7M/H not sure.

#1,424 ·
I saw two 7M AC Volvo Buses(ADI 2654 & 2655), one 7H AC Volvo(ADI 2652), 1 41D AC Volvo Bus, 1 24A AC Volov Bus & 1 101 AC Volvo Bus. As posted by one friend about 7F AC Volvo Bus its not plying. I checked with time keeper in Anna Nagar West Bus Depot.
Selva, whats the route of 101? And of all the volvo's which I saw today, 570 was the most crowded one with passengers standing till the door.:nuts:

#1,427 ·
Cool ride in 7M volvo route!!!

Today afternoon was so hot and unbearable as i came from central station after booking the train tickets. i was sweating and so tired while walking to the bus stop... As soon i reached the bus stop, 7M volvo came... thanks to the bus.. it must have come to take me to home in cool ride... after i reached ma destination, i was feeling better and fresh....

Mugappair has boosted up with more volvos!!!! They are,
7M - Mugappair West - Broadway - 2 routes
D70 - Ambathur Ind Est - Velachery - 2 routes
219A- Ambathur Ind Est - Kelambakkam - 2 routes
K70 - Mugappair West - Tambaram - 2 routes
7H - Mugappair East - Broadway - 1 route

#1,429 ·
Hub and Spoke model

My goodness. This must be the longest of all MTC routes. :nuts:
True... I suspect how many passengers will travel between Amb. IE to Kelambakkam..?

With the rapid expansion of the city... is it not high time the MTC considered a Hub and spoke model... Not sure if this was discussed in this forum before. Let me try to give an example of my thought...

Lets assume that Tambaram be made a hub... Guduvanchery, Padappai, Vandalur etc are the typical end points of various buses.. Let MTC operate frequent buses between these end points and Tambaram (nearest Hub). From Tambaram, there will be buses to other Hubs, say Broadway, Tiruvanmiyur, T Nagar, Ambattur etc.. which would be made non-stop or with very few stops (4-5 max). Now, Tiruvanmiyur, Ambattur, T Nagar, Vadapalani etc. could again be made Hubs and connect with end points in their own zones (like Sholinganallur or Mogappair Guindy or Kundrathur respectively). So the model would be, the different end points will connect with nearest hub and there will be exclusive buses between different hubs..

So someone who wants to go from say Avadi to Kelambakkam, may have to transfer about 3 times...

The advantages i see is 1) More frequent buses to end points, as they may not travel the entire distance of a route.. 2) More dependable services to end points for people staying in sub-urban areas. 3) Effective utilization of buses and reduced fuel consumption. 4) Fewer buses on roads as many buses will operate within a specified zone.

Disadvantages i see 1) Confusion for people, atleast when this model is introduced for the first time. 2) Someone travelling very long distances, say Guduvanchery to Ennore, may have to transfer 3 or 4 buses. 3) Difficult to implement this model if the passenger is required to buy 3 tickets. For this, rationalization of ticket fares etc. should happen.

Will this work out for an expanding city like Chennai. Would it be a worthwhile idea for MTC or UMTA to consider?

#1,431 ·
True... I suspect how many passengers will travel between Amb. IE to Kelambakkam..?

With the rapid expansion of the city... is it not high time the MTC considered a Hub and spoke model... Not sure if this was discussed in this forum before. Let me try to give an example of my thought...

Lets assume that Tambaram be made a hub... Guduvanchery, Padappai, Vandalur etc are the typical end points of various buses.. Let MTC operate frequent buses between these end points and Tambaram (nearest Hub). From Tambaram, there will be buses to other Hubs, say Broadway, Tiruvanmiyur, T Nagar, Ambattur etc.. which would be made non-stop or with very few stops (4-5 max). Now, Tiruvanmiyur, Ambattur, T Nagar, Vadapalani etc. could again be made Hubs and connect with end points in their own zones (like Sholinganallur or Mogappair Guindy or Kundrathur respectively). So the model would be, the different end points will connect with nearest hub and there will be exclusive buses between different hubs..

So someone who wants to go from say Avadi to Kelambakkam, may have to transfer about 3 times...

The advantages i see is 1) More frequent buses to end points, as they may not travel the entire distance of a route.. 2) More dependable services to end points for people staying in sub-urban areas. 3) Effective utilization of buses and reduced fuel consumption. 4) Fewer buses on roads as many buses will operate within a specified zone.

Disadvantages i see 1) Confusion for people, atleast when this model is introduced for the first time. 2) Someone travelling very long distances, say Guduvanchery to Ennore, may have to transfer 3 or 4 buses. 3) Difficult to implement this model if the passenger is required to buy 3 tickets. For this, rationalization of ticket fares etc. should happen.

Will this work out for an expanding city like Chennai. Would it be a worthwhile idea for MTC or UMTA to consider?
How about the fish bone model? Metro rail running as the spine and the buses running as feeders.

#1,433 ·
Ya 7F is the most important bus route in Annanagar depot.
7F aka 7V/C7/7J is one of the earliest LSS route introduced after 18V & 53V.
It lost importance after Mugapair developed as preffered destination for working people and how 7H come to that place.
Some of the AN depot originating buses(27L,41C) now starts from Mugapair West.
Earlier 7F used to get new buses first then focus shifted to 70 then 114 now 7H & M.

#1,436 ·
^^ I saw one 23C Ext VOVLO at Thiruvanmiyur Terminus this morning. If I am correct, it does Villivakkam - Thiruvanmiyur. There is a good number on 47A as well. THere is no 47D VOLVO yet.
Thanks.
23C Volvo goes upto Villiwakkam means no Volvo for 27D.
MTC can introduce Volvo in 47D / A47 / 147C route which runs thro Industrial,Residential & Commercial hub.

#1,437 ·
Does any 219A start in the morning ??? If so at what time? I have seen 219A at night going towards tnagar. The bus was empty except for the driver and the conductor and once I was lucky to spot a lonely passenger. I think the bus is from adyar depot(not sure.)
It starts from Ambathur Industrial Estate at 8 am in the morning.. it goes via tnagar, saidapet, Anna University, Tidel Park, Sholinganallur, Navalur, kelambakkam