SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Liverpool Churches/Places of Worship.

112K views 512 replies 47 participants last post by  Bogeyana 
#1 · (Edited)
Liverpool Churches. (no cathedral pics please)

This thread is for parochial places of worship in the Liverpool area,including Wirral. Churches,Synagogues,Mosques, Temples etc,but excluding the cathedrals. The City of Liverpool has only a single church within its boundaries that can be classified as as Medieval, All Saints, Childwall. The origins of this church and of St Mary, Walton,are pre-conquest ,both churches are mentioned in the Domesday Book but nothing from the Saxon period remains other than a fragment cross shaft. Despite this the city still has elven Grade 1 listed places of worship,all from the Victorian period.

Liverpool didn't attain parochial status until 1699. In my opinion,having looked at the evidence,this has more to do with the vested interests of successives Rectors at the Mother Church, St Mary, Walton, than evidence,that is usually put forward 'the lowly status' of the town. St Peter's Church, the first parish church opened in 1704, in Church St. It was quickly followed by: St George's, Derby Square,1730, St Thomas, Park Lane,1750, St Paul, St Paul's Square,1763 and St John, were St John's Gardens are today,1775. All have been lost, in fact in the only 18thc church remaining in the city centre is, St Peter RC, Seel St. Losses from the 19th century imclude, St Katherine Abercromby Square, and St Michael, Upper Pitt St, both particularly sad.(Correction. There are 10 grade 1 places of worship(can't believe the RC is only Grade 11*,bit iffy that) All Hallows,St George, StMichael, St Agnes, St Clare,St John the Baptist,Princes rd Synagogue and the Unitarian church,all 19thc rather than Victorian. The other two are the Cathedral and All Saints Childwall.

See less See more
#151 ·
All very magnificent and the windows beautiful; I particularly like St Peter & Paul in Ormskirk - it reminds me of the church in Childwall - All Saints? I like the composition and solidity of the design. There is certainly something about Medieval craftsmanship that I much admire.

#155 ·
Perhaps Norman in influence?

A contender for the most magnificent interior of a religious building has to be the Cappella Palatina in Palermo - it brings together the highest art forms from the Normans and the Moors - both invaders of Sicily. People often say, when in Sicily, to visit Monreale ( Norman in origin), which is true - but for me, The Capella Palatina ( Palatine Chapel) is simply the most moving experience I have ever had in a building.

Apologies to my husband and others.:angel1:

#160 ·
Church of St Michael, church lane, aughton. Grade 1 listed.

The earliest part of the church dates to around 1170 but most of the church is 14thc and later with a very complicated history of re-building. Excavations in the early 1900's retrieved the remains of an Anglo-Saxon cross, since dated to around 850.This suggests that the site at least,has a history of Christian worship going back over a thousand years.

#164 ·
Liverpool Churches/Places of Wor

I think it was more about Charlton 1-0 Bristol City lol nah it was a good score and a fine performance by Liverpool, they have some odd tendancy to only play as they should in the Champions League and not the premiership...if they played like this week in week out it would defo be a 4-hourse race again, rather than the 2/3 horse races we are seeing.

Be great for the neutrals...or those of us whose teams aint quite at that level yet

#168 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkS_R7RDuMc

What I particularly like about medieval craftsmanship is the representation of the natural world and its symbols - plant-life, animal -life and things such as Sheela-na gigs; which I am sure The Golden Vision knows all about.

I attach a performance by PJ Harvey of her track- Sheela-na gig, which at one time she recorded on the John Peel Show.
Two threads in one go!
That's strange that Jane, i actually thought that first carving from Halsall church might be a Sheela:) I think it's too late though,the carving is from the 1470's and most Sheelas in England anyway date from the 12th and 13thc's.The other much more common image is the 'Green Man' one of the misericords at Halsall(previous page) is a Green Man, without the usual foliage growing out of his mouth. Both of course are pagan fertility symbols, absorbed and accommodated by the medieval church, a fascinating story in itself.

#169 ·
St Mary's in West Derby.

The church was designed by Gilbert Scott, and opened in 1856. It is a 2* listed building built of red sandstone with Yorkshire stone pillars and is situated in the heart of West Derby Village at the entrance to Croxteth Park.It is regarded as a fine example of Scott’s work and has windows by Clayton and Bell together with some fine wood-work in the Chancel and Sanctuary. The style is 14th century Gothic, but because of the great expense of providing secure foundations for the tower, the original more elaborate design had to be significantly modified. The whole cost was raised by voluntary subscriptions! The building cost £8,000. The tower, marked by three turrets of matching size and a larger one which includes the staircase cost another £4,000 and was built at the expense of Mr Pemberton Heywood. It is 30 feet square and over 160 feet high. The nave is 72 feet by 50 feet and the chancel 41 feet by 25 feet.

#171 ·
St Stephen's Church in Gateacre.

The Church of St. Stephen is located on Belle Vale road and was constructed between 1872 and 1874. It was designed by the architect Cornelius Sherlock, who also designed the Picton Reading Room on William Brown Street in the city centre. The church was built from local sandstone and has a tall octagonal tower on one side that at one time would have dominated the skyline (today the church is surrounded by housing so it is less imposing). The building's exterior is adorned with Gothic style decorations, whilst the stained glass windows in the church were provided by the architect and designer William Morris.

#172 ·

Emmanuel Church,Derby St, Ormskirk, 1878. I really like this church. It's in the Early English Gothic style, nothing remarkable about it but it's ambitious. It resembles one of the 'Greater' medieval churches, i particularly like the high nave and steep pitched roof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.