SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Media in the Liverpool City Region | Film, Television, Radio, Print etc.

187K views 1K replies 141 participants last post by  bluesnapper 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there's already a thread in the Beacon called 'Liverpool in the media', which is about how Liverpool and Merseyside are shown and portrayed on and by the media; but this thread is about media news and developments within the Liverpool City Region. With the government plans for local television stations etc I thought this thread would be a good idea.

#163 ·
I've said it before but I think bay tv is doing a great job. I really like their arts stuff, it shits on anything the main channels do. They have a dedicated programme for each discipline Art, Theatre, music, books and film. They also have a loose women type show which I'm less convinced by. Overall it projects a really positive view of the city. Their news could be better and I'm sure it will get better but the station has only been on air for six months. I urge you all to support it. I watch it every day.

#164 ·
Don't watch it that often but I do like 'The Guide' with Roger Phillip's daughter Ellie. Really positive, covers the whole city region and is well presented. Enjoy watching the football program with Graeme Sharp and David Fairclough as well.
I probably need to watch it a bit more

#168 ·
My Saturdays used to consist of going to Belle Vale shopping centre with my mum, nan and sister, then going back to my nans to watch Mick McManus or Kendo Nagasaki batter some poor lad from Burnley or somewhere in the Wrestling.
Then being glued to World of sport just waiting and hoping to see a brief 15 minute glimpse of some Cycling classic from Flanders or Brittany or if I was lucky, catch a glimpse of Eddy Merckx or Lucien van Impe in the Tour de France. As good as having access to Eurosport and Sky are, I weirdly miss the romance of these once hard to access sports and their phone line commentaries (especially cycling):nuts:

#170 ·
The 'New Echo' is coming next week -

Editor admits to ‘battering’ from readers ahead of daily’s relaunch

A regional daily editor has admitted he has “taken a battering” from readers as his paper prepares to relaunch on Monday.

The Liverpool Echo will reveal its new look next week as editor Alastair Machray’s month-long consultation with readers on what they want from the paper nears its end.

The #TellAli project has already seen Alastair, pictured left, pledge to review the Echo’s football coverage, after complaints from Everton FC fans that the paper concentrates too much on their arch-rivals Liverpool FC.

Figures including the chief constable of Merseyside, Sir Jon Murphy, and actor Liverpool-born Neil Fiztmaurice, have also criticised the Echo’s coverage of crime as part of the survey.
Article continues at - http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2...tering-from-readers-ahead-of-dailys-relaunch/

#171 ·
I'm not surprised to hear that the reaction has been an outpouring of negative comments, but I have to say I am rather sceptical about a "relaunch" coming so soon.

When the issues are so widespread and deep, I would have expected it to take months to take on board all of the comments and make the changes necessary?

The biggest problems that I see are that 1) it seems too negative with even things that should be positives having negative headlines written about it, and 2) that it seems like a football/county town newspaper.

Liverpool is a major city of 1.5 million people and the Echo has a potential marketplace of probably the full 2.4 million wider metropolitan region in terms of both who might be interested in buying and what people want to read about. We should have a newspaper that matches that, that is up there with the Evening Standard, NYT, SF Chronicle, etc.

#177 ·
Looks more like a magazine cover than a newspaper. Interestingly, it looks like they won't actually run a story on the front page. If I had my curmudgeonly head on I'd say, it's a 'newspaper for the dumb-downed' but I'll hold off proper judgement until it's settled down as launch issues are not always representative of what you are going to get.

#182 ·
Looks like another lost chance, and this one is a pretty big one isn´t it?

from the Birmingham Post:

Channel 4 could be forced to move to Birmingham under proposals being discussed by the Government. But Channel 4 could also move to outer London or to another major conurbation such as Greater Manchester, the hub of George Osborne's "Northern Powerhouse", where large parts of the BBC and ITV are now based in Salford Quays.

Reports claim the state-owned broadcaster's central London headquarters could be sold off prompting the relocation.

Channel 4's future is being debated by ministers in parallel to preparations for the renegotiation of the BBC Charter. It has been suggested the Channel 4 building, in Horseferry Road in the heart of Westminster, should be sold and the proceeds returned to the exchequer, government sources told the Sunday Telegraph.

The non-profit organisation would then move, potentially to Birmingham, to help boost the media industry outside the capital which is a key element of Channel 4's public service remit.

According to a valuation exercise carried out at the end of last year and disclosed in the recent Channel 4 annual report, the freehold for its building would fetch £85 million on the open market. It is understood no decisions have been made and the proposals are one of several options under discussion as the Government gears up for a major overhaul of public service broadcasters.

#183 ·
It's only a missed chance if you had a chance in the first place. Let's pretend you are the boss of C4. You have been told you have to move. What do you do?

Firstly, you try to find somewhere else in London - it's easier to access the celebrities you need.

If that fails for some unknown reason, you go to Salford - because there's a critical mass of talent there.

If none of that works out, maybe you go to somewhere that is an easy commute from London.

Liverpool wouldn't be on the list. Why should it? All its got is Lime Pictures. It hasn't even got any studios.

#189 ·
Have no illusions, this type of nonsense has consequences. There will be an element on either side who will think that the fact that there are 'different papers' on each means that they are different places, no matter the fact that it is the same crummy publication beyond page 2. When I lived in Scotland people told me that they loved the Sun rather than the Record as the Record was just the Mirror really but the Sun was Scottish! :nuts:

[In case folk doesn't know the Scum on its north of the border editions prints a thistle on the cover and has 'The Scottish Sun' on its masthead.]