SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Bridgewater Services Development | Former St. John's Church School | 55-63 Great Crosshall Street | 124 Apartments | 6-10 Storeys

15K views 46 replies 27 participants last post by  The All New B&I Show 
#1 ·
I am sure many of you will be aware of this eyesore of a site, situated on Great Crosshall Street, near the junction with Byrom Street.

It consists of the Grade II listed St John's Church School and a large hole in the ground from when work was started previously and abandoned in 2007.

It's had a number of planning applications over the last 8/9 years, but I've been informed that the development will be restarted soon, so thought I'd create a thread to update as it goes.

I'm quite excited by this as it not only clears up a big mess in a prominent area, all we need now is the old Imperial Halls scheme back on track and this area will be fantastic!

--------------------------------

Some more pics from the Fontenoy St. area, already begun work on this corner site.

A picture from 2005 showing the impending demolition of the existing strucutre that occupied the site.

The excavator in the pic is finishing off the last of Imperial Hall.

The site can be seen here in the background, clear with excavation and foundation work ongoing in 2007.

The site as it currently stands, such a mess. I've had so many people from outside of the city say how bad it is.

See less See more
#2 ·
They should erect a replica St Patrick's Cross somewhere around there like the one that stood for centuries on Marybone to mark the place where the saint preached (well, maybe like, along with a 100 other places on the west coast of Britain) before setting off to convert Ireland.

#5 ·
Not 100% sure on that Ste, it could very well be student accommodation, we'l have to wait for the planning application to see.

Be good to see this one get going again.

Not only is it an eyesore, but the hoardings have blocked the pavement to pedestrians for years, with barriers taking up half a lane of traffic to provide a footpath. The hoardings themselves are in a bad state and fell down onto the footpath in the recent bad weather which could have hurt someone.

The council should have served an enforcement notice to get the site tidied up and the pavement re-opened years ago.
I agree, it's terrible that it's been in this state for so long. The hoarding should be sorted out next week.

#4 ·
Be good to see this one get going again.

Not only is it an eyesore, but the hoardings have blocked the pavement to pedestrians for years, with barriers taking up half a lane of traffic to provide a footpath. The hoardings themselves are in a bad state and fell down onto the footpath in the recent bad weather which could have hurt someone.

The council should have served an enforcement notice to get the site tidied up and the pavement re-opened years ago.

#7 ·
The timescale has slipped slightly from what I was told when I created this thread, but true to their word the developers have submitted a planning application (2 actually)!

One for the alterations to the grade II listed 55 Great Crosshall Street - 15L/0819

And one for the new build section - 15F/0817

Documents will be available shortly, but I think you'll all like what's coming. :cheers:

#9 ·
Just bumping this as it is being recommended for approval at next week's Planning Committee meeting.

I'll ask b4mmy to update the thread title to the most recent proposals -

Application Number - 15F/0817
Site Address - 55-63 Great Crosshall Street Liverpool L3 2AP
Proposal - To convert former church school building and construct new part 5, 6, and 8 storey accommodation block to provide 193 student rooms (31 studios and 29 clusters) with ancillary facilities.
Applicant - Bridgewater Services Limited
From here - http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk...hall Street Liverpool L3 2AP Central Ward.pdf

#13 ·
So two years down the line after being rejected by both the Planning Committee and on appeal, the same developer is having another shot at getting something built on this site -

Application Number - PL/INV/2015/18
Site Address - 55 AND 57-63 GREAT CROSSHALL STREET LIVERPOOL L32AP
Proposal - Change of use of the existing Grade II Listed building into 9No Apartments and connected to a 6,7,8,10 Storey residential apartment building accommodating an additional 115 apartments (124No in total) via a glazed link.
Applicant - Bridgewater Services Limited
From here - http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/P...ins/Liverpool_WIP/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

The related documents are already available and it doesn't look too bad. The pre-application discussions with the council have also indicated they would be more receptive to the proposed residential use than the previous student flats proposal.

#16 ·
^^

I'm not sure we have in general. According to the council's own report, there is still plenty of potential left in the market. I think the change of course here is entirely down to the trouble they had last time, being rejected by both the Planning Committee and on appeal (reportedly only on a technicality, but still). Perhaps this has encouraged them to look at other options before wasting more time and money on another student proposal that would still find it very difficult to get through planning.

#17 ·
Indeed. The NIMBYS living in the middle of a university campus objected to the presence of students.

There's plenty of capacity left and indeed the more schemes we get the more iut of dates stuff has to be redeveloped or repurposed. We've seen that with the North Western Hotel and if we carry on we'll see the manky Unite student blocks forced to change too.

#18 ·
I hope this one gets built just so those hoardings that block the pavement up Great Crosshall Street are removed! Also it’s a decent development it seems

#27 ·
Site clearance still on-going with a 5t excavator on site today. They have moved a lot of shrubs and debris since last week when i walked past:

#30 ·
Hoardings replaced and/or painted. Site is completely cleared, but hard to get a picture inside:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.