SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chancery House | Paradise Street | 37 Apartments/Restaurant | 6 storeys

91K views 349 replies 64 participants last post by  PeterStoba 
#1 ·
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/archive/17551-chancery-house-apartments-approved.html

Chancery House apartments approved 7 Jan 2015, 11:12 Chancery House on Paradise Street in Liverpool city centre, formerly the Gordon Smith Institute for Seamen, is to be converted into 37 flats and a restaurant following planning approval by the local authority. The project was designed by architects Falconer Chester Hall for client, Chancery House LLP, a Cumbria-based property consortium. The apartments will be a mix of one, two and three-bedroom properties above 9,000 sq ft of commercial space on the ground and mezzanine level. Adam Hall, managing director of Falconer Chester Hall, said: "Chancery House occupies an outstanding location between Liverpool ONE and the burgeoning creative quarter in the Baltic Triangle. "This conversion will contribute to the vitality of the city centre through its commercial uses and provide excellent living accommodation in the heart of the city." A two-storey rooftop extension will be created on the Hanover Street corner of the building, with a new six-storey link building erected on the existing car park behind Chancery House. "The design of the extension and new building, together with the colour palette and cladding materials chosen, will reflect the existing collection of distinctive buildings in the location," added Hall. Chancery House was built more than a century ago to provide assistance to seamen who had fallen on hard times. - See more at: http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/new...apartments-approved.html#sthash.RVGonj0c.dpuf

See less See more
#66 ·
Great news. This is probably my favourite scheme to go on site in a while. The conversion part is OK I suppose, but that new build section is precisely what should be absolutely flooding town at the moment.

The content is great too, if that comes off. Not too sure too many people will be sitting in the outdoor cafe seating as all those buses fly past though.

#67 ·
From the Chancery House website here -

The carefully considered, sympathetic redevelopment of CHANCERY HOUSE will blend both old and new to a high standard and specification and fully complement the history and architecture of the original Victorian building. Construction commenced in October 2015, with completion estimated for October 2016. More detailed plans and specifications will be available shortly from our Marketing Team.

#68 ·
From the Echo -

Work starts on conversion of old seafarers centre on Paradise Street near Liverpool One

A Liverpool building which played a historic role in the city’s maritime past is being given a new lease of life.

Work has started converting the red-brick Gordon Smith Institute on Paradise Street into an apartment block with a six-storey extension.

A restaurant or shop will be located under the flats, as well as an ‘artisan-style’ cafe.

The Grade 2 listed building, which is opposite John Lewis and Salt House Tapas at the entrance to Liverpool One, was built as Chancery House in 1899 for the Gordon Smith Institute for Seamen Charity and provided help to seafarers who had fallen on hard times.
Article continues at - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/work-starts-conversion-old-seafarers-10329369

#73 ·
Great to see. It may be on a major bus route but I wish this type of new build was happening on Renshaw St or Lime Street. It's impact isn't going to be felt as much here. Thankfully plenty of visitors, Middle class shoppers who can be a bit snooty about Liverpool, but whose cash we need, will get a great view from the car park bridge as you mention.

#84 ·
Come on Buggedboy you are just pulling my leg. The ground level extension looks fine, depends how orange it turns out. Its a red brick build, not orange! The top bit kind of fits the new bit, doesn't match the old bit at all. Its not like its carrying on something from the old bit in a modernist style like the rear is matching the curve. Maybe its just the height of the top floor throwing me off, it could do with being 50% lower and maybe instead of rectangles they work in squares like the windows. Or do something to match the arches above the windows. Its a mish mash. And the crown is where the two parts of the building meet and its really glaring.

#88 ·
I'm not sure anyone asked for a moderator to a casual conversation trying to start an argument Paul. You haven't even give Buggedboy a chance to actually reply to what I said. Its a forum, people talk, sometimes they differ in opinions. So what? It seems Buggedboy and I have polar opposite opinions on design, its quite funny. As for a hundred times, this is the first time I've given my opinion on this development. If you are unhappy about my opinions on other things, maybe you should direct them appropriately? And I'm not about to give you GPS to my location to prove a silly point.

#94 ·
I'm not a moderator but I noticed you dodged the question where you were based the other day too, care to tell us where you're posting from now? If you've got nothing to hide you'd just say. I await with baited breath how you avoid this simple request.

#95 ·
grow up, I assume than your can not read basque or spanish, where I live is very clearly exposed in the english language

that said, let me add that this is an open forum for people who are joined up by the same aspiration, getting the best for liverpool and its citizens, but correct me if it is not the case

and please, remember that liverpool is not a provincial hamlet but a world city with friends scattered all over the world, (I wish I had bill gate´s fortune to invest part of it in the city), who one day arrived in Liverpool and were amazed by her architectural greatness and her warm people

since then, a humble, working lad like me has spent his money paying several visits to the area and bringing along friends and relatives who had never ever contemplated spending a single day in liverpool

for all this, please accept that regardless of where I live and of course regardless of what you think I just feel part of liverpool and I am happy for that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.