SkyscraperCity Forum banner
81 - 100 of 342 Posts
Sri lanka was suspected to be the location of Garden of Eden, hence the "Adam's Bridge". Now of course, this is NOT just a "myth", So to name it after a person who actually existed is more applicable than a mythical character Ram.

whats the official name for it? is it 'ram sethu'? is there even an official word for it? if not he can very well call it what he wants. i have heard lots of people on the news over the last few days call it adam's bridge

some people say madras, some say chennai. wgaf

Sri lanka was suspected to be the location of Garden of Eden, hence the "Adam's Bridge". Now of course, this is NOT just a "myth", So to name it after a person who actually existed is more applicable than a mythical character Ram.

Adam actually existed? and Ram didn't? did Jesus tell you that?

if Ram can be a myth, then Adam can be a myth too....funny how Hindu characters are myths but others are solid truth!!!

Discussion starter · #84 ·
whats the official name for it? is it 'ram sethu'? is there even an official word for it? if not he can very well call it what he wants. i have heard lots of people on the news over the last few days call it adam's bridge

some people say madras, some say chennai. wgaf
Adam's bridge is its official name, as per the Survey of India map. It was named as Adam's Bridge in 1804 by James Rennell, the first surveyor general of the East India Company.

Actually, the name "Ramar Sethu" or "Ram Sethu" is being used in any widespread basis only recently. The first time I saw it being used was after the current controversy began. I always grew up seeing it named as "Adam's Bridge" on maps. If you want the name changed in these maps, launch a campaign to officially rename it. But why is there so much heartburn if it is called by the name it is officially referred to in virtually all maps in existence, including those of the Survey of India?

Discussion starter · #86 ·
Actually, the name "Ramar Sethu" or "Ram Sethu" is being used in any widespread basis only recently. The first time I saw it being used was after the current controversy began. I always grew up seeing it named as "Adam's Bridge" on maps. If you want the name changed in these maps, launch a campaign to officially rename it. But why is there so much heartburn if it is called by the name it is officially referred to in virtually all maps in existence, including those of the Survey of India?
their next campaign will be to change the name of the country to 'Hindustan' :lol:

their next campaign will be to change the name of the country to 'Hindustan' :lol:

Anniyan: present day TN was called Madras Presidency for a long time. you don't mind them changing it to Tamil Nadu do you? now should i put a smiley to end the post? then why is the other causing a lot of heartburn to you?

anyway, i don't support renaming the country or something stupid like that. the only two authentic names of India, in my view, are India and Bharat. and these two are officially recognized by the Government of India.

BTW, there is a lot of disinformation being spread by those who are opposing the project. At no place will the channel cut into any one of the many islands that constitute Rama's/Adam's bridge. It does not make sense to cut into land anyway. The designers of a sea channel like this try to find the alignment where dredging is minimized to the extent possible. In the case of the SSC project, the shallowest point in the alignment is currently under 20 feet of water. The canal will only deepen it to 40 feet to allow ships to pass.

I thought that the communists were the only obstructionists when it came to infrastructure projects. Apparently not.

yes, RSS et al have a long history of obstructing and slowing Indian growth. if not for RSS, India would be an economic superpower by now.

also, if what Sridhar says is true then why doesn't the DMK clarify on it. they are def gaining a lot of pleasure insulting Hindus. if they really care for economy and infra, why don't they come out and say what exactly the project aims to do. instead, they are using this to drive their propaganda to the fullest, by making comments like, "who is this Ram? which engineering college did he graduate from?"

no misinformation is being spread by those opposing the project. it is the DMK types who are pissing them off even more and creating a heated atmosphere with confrontational statements.

Well, the DMK has its own agenda. Actually all politicians have their agendas. But what is important is that this is a project that has been proposed for 150 years, with the first engineering studies done as early as 1957. There have been several committees appointed in the last 50 years for this project. It is not some recent proposal. It was first launched by the NDA Govt. and supported by the AIADMK. When the UPA came to power, they persisted with it. So in some sense, there was bipartisan support for this project. Why is all this obstruction going on just now. Politicians are preying on people's sentiments - suggesting that the project will cut into the bridge built by Rama and his army. Not true. In no place will it cut into land. You cannot currently see the bottom of the ocean in any place where the canal will pass. So why the fuss? All I am saying is that let's try to evaluate each issue on its own merits rather than supporting or opposing it because of what our favorite political party is telling us.

One more thing - we would do justice to the message of the Ramayana (of doing virtually impossible tasks for the right cause) if we constructed a modern version of Rama's bridge across the Palk straits. It would hugely benefit the economies of the region, and would be an engineering marvel as well. It is a feasible project, if there is will on both sides of the straits. Sri Lanka proposed it - but for various reasons, the TN politicians are opposed to it. I am hopeful that economics will eventually make it inevitable. Here's hoping that I live to see a modern day bridge connecting India and Sri Lanka. And I would be the first to campaign to name it after Lord Rama.

i agree with you. i am not particularly opposed to this project. but ever since UPA came to power, they have done all sorts of things which can very easily be classified as anti-Hindu under the Union Minister T.R. Baalu. their statements have been so vitriolic that if such statements were given against Islam or Muslims, he would have risked a Rs 50 crore price money on his head. also, one must realize that this attitude of the UPA, of doing everything for their own glory and not entertaining opposition will cost it big time. the current political mess of the country with this bridge, the nuke deal etc etc is a direct result of a very peculiar tendency of Congresswallahs and UPA in general to make it look like they've done it all themselves.

i bet this bridge issue would have not come this far had TR Baalu or somebody clarified the specs of the project and assured the other side that this isn't going to do anything against the religion. instead, from the word go, Baalu has been making statements which have only antagonized the BJP, RSS, and those opposing it. it has gone so far that even those who are educated and understand the economic consequences of the project are also hesitant now b/c of the overwhelming tendency of DMK and their Central representative to undermine Hindu sentiments and antagonize them.

As I said, every party to this issue has its own agenda and not necessarily aligned fully with what is in the best interests of the people.

The area where the Sethu Samudram project is going to come up is currently infested with smugglers, LTTE gun runners etc. Due to the shallow waters, the coast guard and navy are unable to ply anything but small patrol crafts there. Once the SSC comes up, they will be able to patrol the canal with ships that can carry helicopters (and of course the small patrol boats that are currently being used too). With better monitoring of the waters and with constant sea traffic along the channel, there are security benefits of the project too.

Adam actually existed? and Ram didn't? did Jesus tell you that?

if Ram can be a myth, then Adam can be a myth too....funny how Hindu characters are myths but others are solid truth!!!
Mate, i was being sarcastic, but guess i failed to make it obvious. :eek:hno:

Anyways, what i wanted to say is that these people go as far as to say that ram is mythical, but have no problems in calling the bridge with the name Adam. Indian tales are myths and abrahmic tales are facts? then sorry but only braindead would believe in such facts. (and i do mean offence to such braindeads).

tomorrow if they find a sunken city around gujarat, would they call it atlantis!?

calling it but adam's bridge is just pure bs........... or .... is it in fact Aadam's bridge ?? (aadam in sanskrit = human), if that's the case, then just remove the apostrophe s and i'll be happy. :lol:

shockwave: sorry for that. you sounded really serious in that post. and yes, when they find a sunken city around Gujarat, they'll name it Atlantis for sure....b/c naming it Dwaraka will be communal Hindu chauvinism.

Paddington, that was sarcasm. and yes you did fix it.

What a pity? A developmental project has been hijacked by the 'parivar'
again to play on the emotions of both educated and uneducated people. People who initiate these dirty trcks know, what Karl Marx said while dealing with Religion and Ecnomics.

According to Marx, religion is an expression of material realities and economic injustice. Thus, problems in religion are ultimately problems in society. Religion is not the disease, but merely a symptom. It is used by Oppressors to make people feel better about the distress they experience due to being poor and exploited. This is the origin of his comment that "Religion is the Opium of the Masses"
Now a sizable section of Indian society will be kept drowsy till next election.

When the project is completed, a huge quantum of Coal from Orissa will reach Tuticorin a day earlier at a cheaper cost. Same with Naphtha and Copper ore to **** and Sterlite Industries. **** produces 4000 MT of Fertilizers daily and has to be moved to the Rice bowl of TN across the Palk Strait. Tata's will produce 100000 MT of TiO2 and needed to be moved to Orissa coast. TN has divided their 13 districts in such a way that they have access to Bay of Bengal. There exists a huge opportunity to build Minor ports for every dist like Gujarat to transport all essentials like Rice,Oil,Fertilizers and finished goods to major ports. TN is planning to build a major Container Transhipment deep sea Port at Colechel to attract World's largest Logistics companies. Hence Containers from Kolkotta,Paradeep,Vizag and Chennai can reach Colechel faster. Then Hinterland development will automatically happen. DMK is not a dumb Party ruling TN for so many years. They have great Vision.

Last week Malta born Psychologist Dr Edward De Bono, the inventor of Six Hats Theory and Lateral Thinking was in India to offer Thinking Techniques to improve bottom lines to Indian Corporates. He is a Consultant to Coca Cola,Accenture and Ericsson. As usual an Indian wanted to feel HIGH and asked "How Creative are Indians?"

Bono replied, " In my limited interactions,I find Indians are argumentative.(Read Amirtya Sen's book). Argument is a primitive way of discussion-not constructive one at all.

Anyway,

Fresh alignment hogs limelight again for SSSC project first mooted in 1860

http://www.hindu.com/2007/09/20/stories/2007092060221100.htm

81 - 100 of 342 Posts