SkyscraperCity Forum banner

The Lexington | LW | Princes Dock - Plot A04 | 325 Apartments | 35 Storeys | 112m

700K views 3K replies 270 participants last post by  steveedster 
#1 ·
I nipped to Millenium Hse this morning and took a look at the plans for plot 3a,

Architect RMJM: part of the building description "Conceptually the tower is articulated as a series of shifted planes that express its verticality. The 2 outer glass panes project beyond the floor edges to enhance the towers slenderness whilst creating a reflective element"
all's I can add to that is I thought this looked brilliant!!

Apologies for these 2 images, I was very disappointed to see they were so poor, but the lighting is not too good in there and I couldn't use the flash. I posted them up because on the first one to the left of Alexandra Tower there is another tower on the far side of the dock gate, this has been mentioned before so there maybe something in this.

See less See more
#52 ·
Tony Sebo said:
Spot on Tom
The truth is that it is the river that gives Liverpool the potential to, aesthetically, compete with most great cities.... without it we would just be another place in the world with a few good old buildings!

But with that frontage!!!!!!!!
The thought of Liverpool without the Mersey? I don't want to even think about.
It's more than just a river, there's something spiritual about it. Whenever I feel low, I want to escape to the Pier Head.

#53 ·

Developers are planning to build a 36-storey apartment block and hotel on Liverpool's Princes Dock.

The centrepiece of the plan is a 135-bedroom hotel near a semi-enclosed square, housing cafes and public areas with views over the dock basin.

The Mersey Property Company has worked with Liverpool City Council and a number of other agencies to put together the design.

It says it will be "a development of genuine landmark quality".

A spokesman for the Mersey Property Company said: "We are conscious of the heritage that surrounds the site and have been committed to extensive and thorough consultation with all the main parties who, like us, have Liverpool's best interests at heart.

"We aim to deliver an iconic, high quality development for the city's Capital of Culture which will add to the vibrancy already being created."

The project has been designed by London-based architects, RMJM, who were behind the planning of Leith Docks in Edinburgh.

Roger Whiteman of RMJM said the buildings had been carefully planned to make the most of the views to Liverpool landmarks, such as the Liver Building.

Other agencies involved in the plans are Liverpool Vision and the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE).

Source....

#59 · (Edited)
Yes, we like this.

Looks almost like a great big `lolly ice` .....

Pity about the poor b*ggers who get a view of the MSCP next door though.

Leaving that aside it`s brilliant news and ready for ECoC 2008.

"We aim to deliver an iconic, high quality development for the city's Capital of Culture which will add to the vibrancy already being created."

That`s a shift change - Lime Street Gateway Tower etc etc please take note.

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

:bowtie:

http://www.rmjm.com/

#61 ·
On the render that Kev has so kindly supplied, there appears to be another, smaller block in the space between the tower and the MSCP. Would that be the office/hotel then, so the poor buggers in the tower don't have to look at the car park?

#64 ·
Craigie_Mann said:
How bad does city lofts look like next to that
Bit like when `Woody` meets `Buzz Light Year` ...... "To infinity and beyond"

#66 ·
westisbest said:
No wonder your post count is so high
:stupid:
`How rude` :baeh3:

You`re confusing me with Accy :hahaha: :eek2:

#67 ·
Bunnyman said:
On the render that Kev has so kindly supplied, there appears to be another, smaller block in the space between the tower and the MSCP. Would that be the office/hotel then, so the poor buggers in the tower don't have to look at the car park?
Yes, good point and well spotted Bunny, as was Westis that the construction period is helped by the deriliction of the site (no demolition required) although that didn`t help Alex nor other projects.

They`d better mean business :dizzy::eek:kay:

#72 · (Edited)
Thanks Simlim,

I really do like the look of this development including the colour (but then it is only a render.....) and it does appear that I was wrong about the MSCP as either side seems to have seperate buildings - perhaps one office and one a hotel, I expect the office will get the MSCP side (hee hee)

The dockside looks quite interesting in this larger render too.

Now we`ll all start to get more excited.

IMHO I think that the height of this development will absolutely transform beyond recognition the `North Docks` just as the Arena and conference centre in the `South Docks` and `PSDA` etc will add weight on the other side.

As UK waterfront cities go - I think we are going to be on a roll.

Landside cities like Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham etc could do much worse than decide what `angle` or `angles` of a public face should represent them visually and try to build on that image and celerbrate the vibrancy new and old.

#74 ·
News from propertyweek- Seems they want to start this in October if they get PP.

- - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - -- - - - -

Liverpool-based developer Mersey Property Company has submitted a planning application for a 36 storey hotel and residential tower at Liverpool's Princes Dock.

It will include a 135 bedroom hotel and 183 flats, as well as offices and car parking for more than 330 vehicles.

Mersey Property Company hopes to get planning permission by October this year, with construction starting immediately. RMJM is the architect. Knight Frank is advising on planning.

The developer has consulted closely with Liverpool City Council, Liverpool Vision, English Heritage and CABE in formulating the scheme proposals. A spokesman for the Mersey Property Company said: ‘This is an important development for Liverpool and will enhance the business district and waterfront environs of the city greatly. We aim to deliver an iconic, high quality development for the city's Capital of Culture which will add to the vibrancy already being created.’

#75 ·
Similar story in the echo.

City is poised to touch the sky

LIVERPOOL'S own mini-Manhattan could be on the rise if the latest city skyscraper gets the green light.

Plans have been put forward by the Mersey Property Company fora 377ft-tall tower at Princes Dock as part of an £80m scheme.

It includes the 36-storey tower housing a luxury 135-room hotel and 183 apart-ments.

Offices, a 330 space car park and a semi-enclosed plaza are also planned.

The scheme could be part of a cluster of high-rise offices and apartments, including Beetham Towerin Old Hall Street, West Tower, under construction on neighbouring Brook Street, and the City Lofts and Alexandra apartment towers in Princes Dock.

Property firm Knight Frank's Liverpool office is steering the development through the planning stage.

Head of planning, Andy Frost, said: "This is an extremely exciting development for the city. It will send out a very positive signal about the city centre as a place to live, work and visit - underlining its economic and cultural importance in 2008 and beyond.

"The combination of its height and stunning design will create a development of genuine landmark quality. It will lend kudos to Princes Dock and reinforce the growing identity of the city centre's commercial quarter."

Mersey Property Company is a partnership of Stoke-based developer Trine Ltd and the Worcester Property Company.

It has worked closelywith planners and regeneration and architecture experts at Liverpool council, Liverpool Vision, English Heritage and CABE (Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment) in abid to get planning permission by this October and start work immediately after.

A spokesman for Mersey Property Company said: "We are conscious of the heritage that surrounds the site. We aim to deliver an iconic, high quality development for the city's Capital of Culture."

The development has been designed by the London office of award-winning architects RMJM, renowned for its work on Leith Docks in Edinburgh, the Beijing Olympic Green convention centreand the 80-storey Dubai Tower in Qatar.

neilhodgson@liverpoolecho.co.uk BIG IDEA: An artist's impression of the new tower at Princes Dock

#76 ·
36-storey tower will dominate waterfront

Aug 9 2006

By Sophie Freeman, Daily Post Correspondent

A GLASS-FRONTED 36-storey tower is set to become Liverpool's tallest waterfront building, and will house a hotel on Princes Dock.

It has been designed by a firm of architects working on facilities for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

The 377ft tall building will house a hotel, apartments and leisure facilities on a site alongside the recently completed City Lofts development at Princes Dock.

The multi-million pound development has been planned by the Mersey Property Company, a recently-formed property firm with Worcestershire-based directors.

Details are now being studied by senior planners at the city council prior to being submitted for approval to Liverpool City Council's planning committee in October. Work will begin almost immediately consent is granted by politicians.

The centrepiece of the mixed-use scheme will be an elegant hotel and residential tower.

The hotel will have two rivals at the dock, the four star Crowne Plaza and the boutique hotel, Malmaison, which is due to open in November. Other nearby hotels are The Radisson SAS, Old Hall Street, which overlooks Princes Dock, and on the Kings Waterfront will be a Jury's Inn with 310 bedrooms, and a BDL Staybridge Suites hotel.

Mersey Property Company's development also accommodates offices, mixed commercial uses and car parking.

At the heart of the grand design is a semi-enclosed plaza with cafes and seating areas, enjoying views over the dock basin.

The developer has consulted closely with the city council, Liverpool Vision, English Heritage and CABE, the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment.

The development has been designed by the London office of award-winning architects, RMJM, recognised as one of the world's top 25 architectural firms. RMJM is noted for its competition-winning design of the Beijing Olympic Green convention centre, the award-winning Newcastle Performance Academy and the 80-storey Dubai Tower in Doha, Qatar.

sophiefreeman @dailypost.co.uk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.