SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mersey Observatory International Design Competition

18K views 108 replies 32 participants last post by  Zanderdad 
#1 ·
This (in my opinion - wonderful) idea for a new viewing platform attraction at Crosby generated over 90 designs from across the world. It has now been narrowed down to 5 proposals which can be viewed in a public exhibition from the 12th to the 28th of Febuary.

Crosby Library.
Monday, Wednesday & Friday 9.30am - 8pm
Tuesday 9.30am - 5pm
Thursday & Saturday 9.30 - 1pm

Open Forum Session: Monday 18th Febuary 4.30pm - 6.30pm.

Tea factory on Wood Street, Liverpool.
Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm
(Closed on weekend)

Open Forum Session: Wednesday 20th Feb from 12 - 2pm

Seacombe Ferry Terminal.
Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm
(Closed on weekend)

Open Forum Session: Thursday 21st febuary from 4.30 - 6.30pm

I don't know if there are going to be models or more renders, but I will try and get down to the Open days at Seacombe and take some pictures and/or speak to the people in charge.

In the meantime: The shortlisted designs......

Farrell & Clark architects

Ellis Williams architects

Duggan Morris architects

Phos architects

Studio 8 architects

See less See more
#13 ·
Someone I know referred to this as "Objective One Architecture" and I agree it has that rather dated and banal "English city regeneration vernacular" feel to it. I find this one the least satisfactory of the designs, perhaps equalled by the aborted bridge.

The one I like the most is Farrel and Clark. It has a monumental feel to it, something that makes an appropriate statement at the mouth of the river: you are approaching or leaving one of the great ports and great cities of the world. I think it will work well in winter and grim weather as well as in summer. Whilst not usually a fan of referencing, I think that this is unusual in managing to refer to what follows (cranes and a lot of red-brick and sandstone monolithic structures) without falling into the pastiche-trap. I think it might even be a great building, there is something very pleasing about the way it combines the monumentalism of its tiered slab walls with the lighter horizontal gantries. I hope it is chosen.

#3 ·
I have to say that my favourites are....

The Studio 8 cantileverd 'L' shape. The 'L' announces Liverpool to the world coming in from ships and liners in the most stunning way. I can imagine it would look incredible on the skyline from out at sea of a night time lit up.

....and the Duggan Morris vase shaped observatory which looks like it has the bonus of having two viewing platforms. one jutting out into the sea and the other on top of the vase.

I really like these two.

#19 ·
All I can say is that the other 85 must have been really shite if these are the ones that won through. It's in the docks - let's have something that looks like a crane, a seagull, a warehouse/crane combo. :gaah:

On pain of death I would choose beteen the carafe and the Phoenican tower (Duggan Morris and Phos) Face in the fryer moment - Phos.

#20 · (Edited)
I initially like the Phos design myself. I love teh idea of that tree being illuminated at night. Very haunting. However, I can't see any outside viewing areas forming part of their design (excluding the ground level bit). I'll delve into the pdf's to nosey but if there arent outside areas at that higher point, thats a real negative.

I'd be happy with any of them apart from Ellis Williams. It looks very Yorkshire/Humberside industrial revolution. To retrospective by far and not actually that relevant to Liverpool's own history at all.

Also, I can only imagine the poo pot and phos's R2D2 actually becoming destinations in their own right. I can't imagine international visitors being impressed by any of the others really, particularly the Objective One seagull. It's an ok design in itself, but it's the sort of thing you'd see in a Burnley/Blackpool scale regen scheme.

#23 ·
I think most people (echo readership) will favour the seagull but I think phos will triumph with the jury. Whilst the external aspects are crucial, it might be what we can't see yet that ultimately sways the panel. Each time I look, depending on the render, I have found myself changing my opinion. I think to decide once and for all, we'll have to see them in 3D at the exhibits.

#30 ·
Maybe the lake behind disappears as the ramp comes out ready for Thunderbird2 or am I showing my age...

#31 ·
Ambitious Mersey Observatory designs are on display

Crosby Herald

http://icseftonandwestlancs.icnetwo...objectid=20472625&siteid=60252-name_page.html

AMBITIOUS designs for the proposed Mersey Observatory are now on display.

Following an international competition last December, the five short-listed architects have been refining their concepts into detailed presentations.

The designs, featured in the Crosby Herald over the past couple of weeks, range from a bird-like structure with a suspended viewing pod over Liverpool Bay, to a tilted pier extending out over the water.

The designs will be showcased at Crosby Library and members of the public are being encouraged to leave their comments.

Sir Walter Menzies, chairman of the Mersey Observatory steering group and chief executive of the Mersey Basin Campaign, said: “This magnificent site with 360 degree panorama demanded imaginative responses and the architects have risen to the challenge.”

The Mersey Observatory will offer unrivalled views of Liverpool Bay, the city’s skyline, the docks, Crosby beach, the area’s wildlife and the Welsh hills.

Sara Wilde, chairman of Mersey Waterfront, said: “The creation of an iconic viewing tower on this waterfront site would be an important tourism attraction and educational facility for residents, visitors and businesses.

“That is why it is so important these groups have the opportunity to comment on the short-listed designs at this early stage. The final building could be an architectural showpiece and there are certainly some truly striking and creative designs to consider.”

The Mersey Observatory project is led by the Mersey Basin Campaign and backed by the North West Regional Development Agency, Mersey Waterfront and Peel Holdings. It is estimated to cost £11.65 million.

HAVE YOUR SAY

THE exhibition is at Crosby Library, The Renew Rooms, Liverpool city centre and the Seacombe Ferry Terminal until Thursday, February 28.

Open forums will take place at each venue for the public to meet representatives of the judging panel. All comments will be taken into consideration when a winner is chosen in March.

To put your comments and questions to the judges e-mail newsdesk@crosbyherald.co.uk with the subject ‘Mersey Observatory’.

#32 ·
Mersey Observatory by Phos Architects

de zeen design magazine

http://www.dezeen.com/2008/02/15/mersey-observatory-by-phos-architects/
^^includes images

Phos Architects of London are among five teams shortlisted to design an observation tower overlooking the city of Liverpool, England.

The Mersey Observatory competition asked for proposals for a tower to be built at Crosby, north of the city.

The other shortlisted architects are Studio 8 Architects, Ellis Williams Architects, Duggan Morris Architects and Farrell and Clark. The winner will be announced at the end of March.

Here’s some info from Phos Architects about their proposal:

Phos Architects have recently been shortlisted in an international competition to design an iconic structure in Liverpool.

The Mersey Observatory will offer unrivalled panoramic views of Liverpool Bay, the city’s famous skyline, the busy working docks and international shipping traffic on the River Mersey. The form of our design, in combination with the setting, is intended evoke thoughts of industry, and ship building. We have designed the Mersey Observatory to be tapered and extend upwards to create a coastal beacon, similar to a lighthouse. The form of our proposal through its ‘upright’ nature creates a dialogue with the Anthony Gormley installation ‘Another Place’ on neighbouring Crosby Beach.

The Stage 2 drawings by the five finalists are now on display at 3 venues across Liverpool – Capital of Culture 2008. The winning entry will be announced at the end of March and the building is due for completion in 2011 with an estimated cost of £11.65 million.

Phos Architects was formally established in early 2007. We are a young practice based in London with a hunger and passion to design beautiful buildings that serve communities and respect locality. We strive to create buildings that hold substance and meaning, that make dynamic connections with people and context. Through a network of talented individuals we are able to respond to any design brief in a unique and creative way.

This network allows us to collaborate with filmmakers, graphic designers, photographers and others who have a poetic understanding of the built environment. Our designs are modern, but do not lack historical, political and cultural references. Above all we are guided by the need to strive for elegance in our solution.

#33 ·
I like Phos and Duggan Morris (the Poo Pot) best. I think what is going to be important about this structure is how it 'reads' from a distance (e.g. from passengers on the ferry or approaching in a cruise liner) and I can't see any of the others making the necessary statement.

I think that the winning design should have a mystery quality about it - something that will make you want to come to Seaforth to see what it is.

#36 ·
I like the Ph(ar)os best. Solid, dependable, welcome-home stuff. If it's clad in a material that references or complements the other local landmarks then so much the better.

From the pix shown here, the seagull is a bit too industrial-minimalist for me, and the other 3 fall into the 'just wrong' category. As Roo said, I can't believe this is the shortlist of 85 designs, I've seen better and more imaginative renders on here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.