SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Chennai | Bus Terminals | MTC Bus | Other Road Transport Updates

4M views 14K replies 601 participants last post by  thillai_selvan 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is dedicated to updates on Chennai Metropolitan transport corporation (buses operated by Tamilnadu government) and Suburban train services operated by Southern Railways.

These two are the lifeline of public transportation in Chennai Metropolitan currently.

Dedicated thread is needed as we see lots of improvement in MTC for past 2 years.

I request members to post news/projects regarding MTC and Suburban in this thread instead of Chennai projects thread.

#1,481 ·
Hey Frnds add to your list
V51-T.Ngr TBM(E) Via Keelkattalai,madipakkam, Velacheri.
M70-CMBT/Annagar (W)-Thiruvanmiyur
549Ext-Thiruvanmiyur-Sunguvarchatiram
17M-Iyyanthangal-Broadway
I think u missed 5E, M170C(thiru vi. ka. nagar - guindy I.E) and 27c cut(mtc) goes all the way to anna nagar west depot in the night from t.nagar.

And does 41D volvo go all the way till thiruvanmiyur? Yesterday I saw the bus near jayanthi.

#1,483 ·
^^ C51 Adyar Depot - Thiruvanmiyur RTO - Neelankarai - Sholinganallur - Medavakkam - Tambaram East also has VOLVO fleets now.

I wish they introduce some VOLVO's in the T51 (Thiruvanmiyur - Perungudi - Shols - TBM East) which is one of the most frequent service on OMR.[/QUOT

T51 got Volvo in 1st lot itself but later MTC discontinued the service.
not sure now T51 has Volvo or not?

#1,489 ·
Guys AC buses don't operate on Sundays and Saturday. I got this info from K.K. Nagar MTC depot time keeper. Why MTC is not running these buses on weekends mostly family people wish to go somewhere out with kids means mostly they will prefer AC buses. If these buses don't ply on weekends means its not fair at all :bash:.

#1,491 ·
Guys AC buses don't operate on Sundays and Saturday. I got this info from K.K. Nagar MTC depot time keeper. Why MTC is not running these buses on weekends mostly family people wish to go somewhere out with kids means mostly they will prefer AC buses. If these buses don't ply on weekends means its not fair at all :bash:.
What ??? it is not like that friend ...all ac routes operate 7 days a week .. atleast the routes i know :)

#1,493 ·
What ??? it is not like that friend ...all ac routes operate 7 days a week .. atleast the routes i know :)
Wrong. I dont know if routes like 21G operate on sundays atleast. Sundays there is a host of specials in Mahabalipuram and all depots operate on 588C 588B 599. There would one bus every 10 minutes from 5 pm to 7/8 pm.

I am not sure after introduction of the 50 new fleet, but this was atleast till recently when MTC fleet count was never over 40-50 ever since introduction of Volvos. Now specials to Kanchipuram is reduced though. The other thing is i wonder if MTC has enough certified drivers to run all the fleet all 7 days a week.

#1,494 ·
Mini-buses in three months: Minister

CHENNAI: The Transport Department will introduce mini-buses from residential areas to main roads and bus terminals in three months, Transport Minister K.N.Nehru told the Assembly on Tuesday.

The Chief Minister and Deputy Chief Minister will inaugurate the facility in the city, he said. He was responding to a question from V.S. Babu (DMK) on increasing the number of share auto permits in Chennai. The Minister said that this would not be done since the share autos ate into the revenue of the Metropolitan Transport Corporation.

Later, talking to The Hindu, the Minister said Anna University was conducting a study on passenger density and the routes for the mini-buses would be drawn up based on the recommendations of the study. Initially, the Transport Department was aiming at introducing 100 such buses in the city, he added.

Responding to a question from C. Gnanasekharan (Congress) on making it mandatory for owners to provide proof of parking space for a second car they intended to purchase, Mr. Nehru said this issue had featured in a meeting convened by him about a fortnight ago. “I can say that we did discuss this issue but no decision has been taken yet.”

Mr. Nehru said that the average number of vehicles registered in the State worked out to 3,825 per day in the past year. This meant that about 10 lakh vehicles were registered each year. The Transport Department, the Highways Department and the Municipal Administration Department were meeting often to discuss issues relating to congestion and expansion of roads and creation of additional facilities, he said.

Mr. Nehru said that the department had decided to develop bus stands in Chennai so as to allow parking of buses on the ground floor and create car parking on the floors above. The details were being worked out, he added.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/2010/05/05/stories/2010050554420100.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------
Would love to see mini buses in action? Have a huge list of places that can benefit from the mini buses

#1,495 ·
^^ Although mini-buses can easily make their way through the crowded streets of the suburbs, I feel that it will be an 'insult' to those people because it will give a 'village effect' to those areas. :lol::lol: It will also give them the impression that their areas are not important and they are just clinging onto the city's map. :eek:hno::eek:hno:

Bharathiraja will take one such bus to from Anna Nagar (West) to Mogappair and finish his next film. :lol::lol:

#1,496 ·
^^ Although mini-buses can easily make their way through the crowded streets of the suburbs, I feel that it will be an 'insult' to those people because it will give a 'village effect' to those areas. :lol::lol: It will also give them the impression that their areas are not important and they are just clinging onto the city's map. :eek:hno::eek:hno:

Bharathiraja will take one such bus to from Anna Nagar (West) to Mogappair and finish his next film. :lol::lol:
Isn't it better that they have some service from the suburbs to the arterial roads than none at all? Personally, I wouldn't be fussed about the size of the bus as much as its frequency.

#1,497 · (Edited)

Well, you need not think of the old style mini buses introduced in 1996 regime. Why not a swaraj mazda (25+ seater?). BMTC uses this. Why not a TATA Star bus? We need to wait and watch how MTC goes with this.

Its not about area not being important / not important. With the existing infra (narrow roads) govt is trying to provide some connectivity which must be appreciated

#1,498 ·
Well, you need not think of the old style mini buses introduced in 1996 regime. Why not a swaraj mazda (25+ seater?). BMTC uses this. Why not a TATA Star bus? We need to wait and watch how MTC goes with this.

Its not about area not being important / not important. With the existing infra (narrow roads) govt is trying to provide some connectivity which must be appreciated
This is really a gud idea. This will help ppl to reach the near by bus stations/Railway stations easily. And also will help people to avoid the killer share autos. They can also provide few mini buses to other TNSTC divisions.

#1,499 ·
CHENNAI: The Transport Department will introduce mini-buses from residential areas to main roads and bus terminals in three months, Transport Minister K.N.Nehru told the Assembly on Tuesday.

The Chief Minister and Deputy Chief Minister will inaugurate the facility in the city, he said. He was responding to a question from V.S. Babu (DMK) on increasing the number of share auto permits in Chennai. The Minister said that this would not be done since the share autos ate into the revenue of the Metropolitan Transport Corporation.

Later, talking to The Hindu, the Minister said Anna University was conducting a study on passenger density and the routes for the mini-buses would be drawn up based on the recommendations of the study. Initially, the Transport Department was aiming at introducing 100 such buses in the city, he added.

Responding to a question from C. Gnanasekharan (Congress) on making it mandatory for owners to provide proof of parking space for a second car they intended to purchase, Mr. Nehru said this issue had featured in a meeting convened by him about a fortnight ago. “I can say that we did discuss this issue but no decision has been taken yet.”

Mr. Nehru said that the average number of vehicles registered in the State worked out to 3,825 per day in the past year. This meant that about 10 lakh vehicles were registered each year. The Transport Department, the Highways Department and the Municipal Administration Department were meeting often to discuss issues relating to congestion and expansion of roads and creation of additional facilities, he said.

Mr. Nehru said that the department had decided to develop bus stands in Chennai so as to allow parking of buses on the ground floor and create car parking on the floors above. The details were being worked out, he added.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/2010/05/05/stories/2010050554420100.htm

------------------------------------------------------------------
Would love to see mini buses in action? Have a huge list of places that can benefit from the mini buses

Hope these minbuses cover the near by Rlystns of suburban sectors & MRTS as applicable as the case may be. Such that the dependency on autos/two wheelers to & from the rlywstns are reduced to great level-thus reducing the traffic along the roads leading to & from the stations.

#1,500 ·
This is really a gud idea. This will help ppl to reach the near by bus stations/Railway stations easily. And also will help people to avoid the killer share autos. They can also provide few mini buses to other TNSTC divisions.
MTC should introduce AC Mini buses (20-25 seater) to replace high density Share auto routes such as Mugapair golden flats - T nagar, Golden flats - Gemini/DMS, Goldn flats to LIC. These are high revenue routes and people paying 5-20Rs for various destination so pricing may not be issue for MTC. only thing they have to maintain frequency of 10 min.