Tags
sport
71K views 492 replies 90 participants last post by  Howie_P 
#1 ·
Grand National's Economic Impact on Liverpool

Not bad for a three day event:)

Facts/Figures taken from DP article

• Earning more than £17m for the local economy

• Racing fans from outside the Liverpool area spent more than £11m of the £17.2m

• Total attendance of over 148,000 during the three days of the race meeting

• More than 40% of visitors to the event were local, from either Liverpool or Merseyside. Around 14% were from Ireland, 10% from Eire and the other 4% from Northern Ireland, while 6% were from the Midlands and 7% from the London area

• Almost a third were taking advantage of the race meeting to stay on Merseyside

• Virtually every Irish visitor booked into hotels or stayed with friends, with 70% of London area visitors turning it into a mini holiday. Thousands more paid a day-trip to Merseyside, to attend either the Grand National main event on the Saturday, or Ladies Day on the Friday

• The average age of visitors to the 2007 was 42 years, with women visitors typically being younger than the men (39 compared to almost 44). More than half of visitors, 57%, were men

• The average staying visitor spent £88.56 per person for the duration of the visit on accommodation, or £113.04 if only including those staying in paid accommodation

• The total spent per person per day at the racecourse was £98.37, £20.37 on food and drink, £7.83 on travel and transport and £68.14 on other spending, which included a flutter on the horses

See less See more
#41 ·
Aintree Race Course’s last minute preparations ahead of the Grand National

Apr 8 2010
A ROLL call of famous Liverpudlians were leading the celebrations as the 2010 John Smith’s Grand National began today.

Dressed as a larger than life jockey Scouse royalty Ricky Tomlinson will officially open the festival which this year sees Thursday renamed Liverpool Day.

He was beinmg joined by a parade of Liverpool sporting legends including footballers John Aldridge, Alan Kennedy, Joe Royle and Colin Harvey; boxer David Price; Olympic swimmer Steve Parry; and St Helens RLFC stars Paul Sculthorpe and Paul Wellens who will walk around the course geeing up the crowd ahead of the first race.

Liverpool musicians will get in on the act too with former Cast and The La’s frontman John Power playing a gig supported by the Bootleg Beatles and 6ix Toys, alongside a host of Liverpool acts including The Maybes, Sound of Guns, The Vanities, and The Liberty Vessels.

The Liverpool Ski band, an eclectic combination of funk and brass, will also perform.

Marketing manager Emma Owen said: “The line up for Liverpool Day promises to be really exciting, with a real blend of art, music, fashion and, of course, top class horse racing.

“The idea behind Liverpool Day is to celebrate our magnificent city and thank those who make the Grand National festival so special every year, the people of Liverpool.

“There is a palpable sense of anticipation and excitement around the racecourse as the countdown begins and we can’t wait to get started.”

Liverpool-based displays will include waxworks of the Beatles at The Beatles’ Story marquee.

Fast-fingered punters will be able to face off in Beatles Rockband guitar duels hosted by staff dressed as Sgt Pepper’s characters.

Liverpool FC will be proudly displaying their Champions League Trophy and the ECHO will get in on the act with an exhibition of images from Grand Nationals as far back as 1923, including the infamous bomb threat national and behind the scenes laughs with Ginger McCain and Red Rum.

The 3,300 staff hired to run the Grand National will be waiting for the gates to open this morning, all their preparation already completed.

But it was a different matter yesterday as last minute touches were finalised.

The Beatles exhibition had not arrived by lunchtime and staff were anticipating a few hours of slotting John, Paul, George and Ringo back together.

For legendary stable manager Derek Thompson it was an unusual prelude as the 40-strong Irish contingent of horses, usually the first to arrive, failed to turn up overnight on Tuesday.

Bad weather stopped ferry crossings and left Mr Thompson with some rare time ahead of the racing.

He told the ECHO: “I’m sat here eating a sandwich in the eye of the storm. At least I get some peace before the Irish turn up.”

He wasn’t worried about getting everything ready.

“It’s a well oiled machine here. It should be after 40 years. I know just where everyone wants to go and what their preferences are, as they are friends of mine.

“We’ll be ready well in time.”

He added he was enjoying his unexpected calm while he could ahead of a 5am start and a predicted 19 hour day.

Head groundsman Mark Aynsley was out on the track putting the stripes down with his lawnmower.

He said 100 tonnes of soil mixed with rye grass had been delivered ahead of the arrival of 45 track repairers this morning. The soil will be used to repair the track after races.

150,000 RACEGOERS prepare to descend on Aintree for the three-day Grand National event.

He added: “We’re all done here apart from some finishing touches. Just those little bits and bats and that make it special. It’s amazing to see the course now. Three weeks ago it was frosty, winter, the blossom wasn’t out. Now the weather is fantastic and nature has really made Aintree Racecourse special.”

#47 ·
If you are visiting a city anyway you don't really notice themed events - they are just part of the background noise. No one is attending Aintree for Liverpool Day. My guess is that it's more about 'Aintree' milking Liverpool based companies that will be forking out to pay for these 'events' that add to the Aintree coffers.

Also, 'Aintree' is giving people what they want. Who wants to go to Disneyland and not see Mickey Mouse?

#48 ·
Its just a gimmick for a Thursday nothing to get your knickers in a twist over, I'm sure everyone who was there enjoyed the day, with the weather the way it is I would be interested to see how many people attended yesterday,I would think it would be one of the most well attended thursdays they've had, it used to be all about the one day, now its a proper 3 day festival with Ladies day as well, its good for the city and we should be congratulaing them on it.

#51 ·
Horse racing is a very class ridden, deferential sport. Of course it's also just a bit of fun and it is nice to see people enjoying themselves.

Does anyone know why Tony Sebo is banned?

I for one don't se why this has happened. Let's face it Tony can be a pain, and I disagree with many of his views, but he was never nasty or contemptuous of other forumers. Name calling is endemic on this site, and yes Tony can be a bit ott sometimes but most of the time it is just lively debate. This is more unusual given that some forumers f and blind all the time and little is done. The Liverpool forum is invaded by mancunians with an axe to grind calling the city a S*** hole and telling people to F*** off and the moderators do nothing about it despite my complaint.

Tony should be unbanned immediately and I hope there are others who agree with me!!

#54 ·
Tony is one of a very small number of people whose postings have deepened my understanding of urban issues. He is one of the very few on here who, if I see he has posted, I will click on that thread just to read what is on his mind.

He is a gentleman and a scholar, and has been an asset to SSC. If he is banned, SSC loses.

#57 ·
From the Echo -

Daily Mail sneers at Liverpool girls at the Grand National meeting Aintree Ladies’ Day

Apr 10 2010 by Alastair Machray, Liverpool Echo

Girls just wanna have fun - but the London media won’t have it.

The snide Daily Mail took its annual swipe at Ladies’ Day with sarcastic comments and a photographic operation designed to catch girls in unflattering poses.

Journalism it isn’t. Southerners sneering at Northerners it most certainly is. One look at their online ‘coverage’ will mean you never buy the snide Mail again.
From here - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...l-meeting-aintree-ladies-day-100252-26213223/

#64 ·
Absolutely made up for Tony McCoy but for once he didn't have the burden of my pound each way weighing him down.

The best news is that all horses and jockeys are fine after a great spectacle and a wonderful race.

#73 ·
Tony McCoy’s victory at the Aintree Grand National cost Bookies £10m

Apr 12 2010
BOOKIES were left £10m out of pocket after jockey Tony McCoy, on favourite Don’t Push It, romped to victory in the Grand National – the first time the champ has won the steeplechase.

Thousands of racegoers basked in the sunshine of Liverpool’s hottest day of the year as they watched the world famous steeplechase at Aintree on Saturday.

It was McCoy’s 15th attempt at the National, a race he said he always knew he would win one day, and punters put their faith in the champion jockey.

David Williams of Ladbrokes said: “McCoy's victory has cost us millions.

“We've feared this day for fifteen years and our worst nightmares have just been realised. Punters never lost faith in the champ.

“What a difference a year makes.

“When Mon Mome won at 100-1 the bookies kept all the cash and we celebrated for months.

“Now we'll be paying the punters out for months to come. It's the worst result for us in ages and all we can do is grit our teeth and salute the champ.”

McCoy was clearly delighted at his win as he broke down in tears as he passed the winning post. He said: “I have won lots of great races but I am supposed to be a great rider and to not have won it was a big gap in the CV.

“To win the Grand National is everything. “

Punters piled the cash on Don’t Push It at 20/1 in the hours leading up to the race, leading to bookmakers slashing the odds to make the horse joint favourite at 10/1 by the time the steeplechase got under way.

William Hill estimated around 10% of all Grand National bets were wagered on McCoy.

David Hood, spokesman for the bookmakers, said: “Time and time again, McCoy heaps misery on the bookmakers, and this time he has done it on the biggest stage.”

Footballers and WAGs turned out in force at the premier event in Merseyside’s social calendar.

Liverpool footballers Fernando Torres, Pepe Reina and Glen Johnson were spotted in the crowds, as well as Reds legend Kenny Dalglish and Steven Gerrard’s wife, Alex Curran.

Comedian Peter Kay presented the winner’s trophy.

Aintree racecourse Managing Director Julian Thick revealed attendance was up on 2009.

Over the three days 150,426 people went through the turnstiles compared with 146,070 last year.

He said: “I think that says a lot about what the National offers as a whole package both on the course and off.

“There is something for everyone to enjoy and it really puts Liverpool as a city on the map.

“We have very little trouble at the event as everyone comes to have a good time and enjoy themselves.

“There was an amazing atmosphere at the course on all three days and what a fantastic result in the National itself.

“There were so many amazing stories that could have come out of the race. We had 17-year–old jockey Sam Twiston-Davies come in fifth and female jockey Nina Carberry who finished seventh this year. They both stood a chance of winning. We’re all so pleased for Tony McCoy, he is a racing legend and deserved to have the Grand National under his belt.

“We have already started planning next year’s event. We’ll be looking at how the event can be improved and how we can build on the success of the first Liverpool day on Thursday.”

Merseyside Police Chief Superintendent Ian Pilling, who was in charge of policing for the three-day event, said it had been a pleasure to work the event as there was so little trouble with only five arrests over the three days.

He said: “Yet again Aintree has proved to be a fantastic event for Merseyside. Everyone left with a smile on their faces and there were very few incidents inside the course and out.

“It has been a pleasure to police.”

#75 ·
From the Echo -

Aintree Grand National taxi drivers investigated over rip off fairs

Apr 14 2010 by Gary Stewart, Liverpool Echo

“RIP-off” taxi drivers who were charging Grand National racegoers a minimum £60 fee are to be investigated.

Complaints began to reach trading standards officers almost immediately after Saturday’s big race.

Punters said they were finding their pockets a lot lighter as taxi drivers charged inflated fees to drive them away from the races.

Thousands of travellers faced lengthy waits at Aintree railway station as racegoers left the course over the three days and there was no shortage of takers for cabs.

But some crafty cabbies appear to have been setting their own illegal fares charging £40 and even £60 flat rate fees for journeys as short as the five miles to Lime Street in Liverpool city centre.

According to the official hackney carriage rates for Liverpool a day time pick up from Aintree to Lime Street should cost around £9.30 meaning affected race-goers had been ripped off by up to 570%.

But many people who wished to make a complaint had not taken the cabbie’s licence number.
Full article here - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...tigated-over-rip-off-fairs-100252-26236929/2/

:eek:hno: