Tags
sport
71K views 492 replies 90 participants last post by  Howie_P 
#1 ·
Grand National's Economic Impact on Liverpool

Not bad for a three day event:)

Facts/Figures taken from DP article

• Earning more than £17m for the local economy

• Racing fans from outside the Liverpool area spent more than £11m of the £17.2m

• Total attendance of over 148,000 during the three days of the race meeting

• More than 40% of visitors to the event were local, from either Liverpool or Merseyside. Around 14% were from Ireland, 10% from Eire and the other 4% from Northern Ireland, while 6% were from the Midlands and 7% from the London area

• Almost a third were taking advantage of the race meeting to stay on Merseyside

• Virtually every Irish visitor booked into hotels or stayed with friends, with 70% of London area visitors turning it into a mini holiday. Thousands more paid a day-trip to Merseyside, to attend either the Grand National main event on the Saturday, or Ladies Day on the Friday

• The average age of visitors to the 2007 was 42 years, with women visitors typically being younger than the men (39 compared to almost 44). More than half of visitors, 57%, were men

• The average staying visitor spent £88.56 per person for the duration of the visit on accommodation, or £113.04 if only including those staying in paid accommodation

• The total spent per person per day at the racecourse was £98.37, £20.37 on food and drink, £7.83 on travel and transport and £68.14 on other spending, which included a flutter on the horses

See less See more
#303 ·
My dad is a racing man, it's in his blood his father used to gamble illegally back in the days before bookmakers, he has his ticket for this year's national, he also has a stake in a race horse which my brother-in-law bought him for Christmas.

I'm not a racing man myself but I don't mind it. Great day out and the national is the quintessential peoples' race.

#309 ·
Ithink the flags may be flying at half-staff because of the death of Queen Mary, the paternal grandmother of the present monarch. Also, don't know what race those ladies are watching but, if you notice the other terraces, all are also empty. Undoubtedly a staged photo opportunity.

Reactions: Cardenio123
#312 ·
Yes, it is a bit of an anachronism. Maybe it goes back to the days when women just attended for one day of the event?; or because it was named after the day the queen attended for the Gold Cup or something, when it was considered appropriate for other 'ladies' to attend?

I think Aintree does have a prize for the best dressed man too, doesn't it?

#316 ·
The Grand Women's Summit at The Crabbie's Grand National Festival returns in 2016

Woman in Racing

Following the success of the first Grand Women's Summit in 2015 the event is returning on Friday April 8th – Ladies Day of the 2016 Crabbie's Grand National Festival at Aintree Racecourse.

Aintree Racecourse and Women in Racing (WiR), supported by Women in Sport, are delighted to welcome the return of the Grand Women's Summit.The first event of its kind held in 2015 was hailed a huge success with more than 115 delegates attending the informative, educational and entertaining networking event.

Katie Walsh at Aintree

#320 ·
Why is flat racing, aristocracy fuelled, top hat Ascot advising national hunt race goers what to wear? Bin the suits off, should by tweeds AOTS, an array of headwear and stout brogues for gents. The ladies usually look great but they need to remember it's the start of April and not mid July!