SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Toledo Development News

Tags
toledo
509K views 4K replies 59 participants last post by  cjfjapan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I restarted this thread because The Blade stated that they want all of their content deleted from this site, which frankly was quite a lot in that thread. I moved the thread out of sight, if one of the local staffers can clean it out it can be restored.

General reminder: please do not copy full articles from outside news sources into the forums. Best way to go is to copy the title and a small extract and link to the full article. Thanks for working with us.

Here is a link to the previous thread:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=240455

#3 · (Edited)
Well that sucks! We've given the Toledo Blade and other outlets full credit of the articles, photos and writers who brought these development news to the general public. I am assuming with the latest action that if we post links to their site it would increase their website hits, so much for all those great posts in the past few years since it was discussed in a public arena.

#11 ·
Well that sucks! We've given the Toledo Blade and other outlets full credit of the articles, photos and writers who brought these development news to the general public. I am assuming with the latest action that if we post links to their site it would increase their website hits, so much for all those great posts in the past few years since it was discussed in a public arena.
You've definitely provided most of the info that I've seen on the previous thread. I went there for new readings. I'm sure it'll be back there soon. Still sad though.

#4 · (Edited)
I moved the thread out of sight, if one of the local staffers can clean it out it can be restored.

Is there anyone willing to do this? Honestly, I'd be willing to if it means saving our thread. We've had a lot of productive discussions and I'd hate to lose that just because of a few whole newspaper articles. We can pare down the newspaper articles and post links, and keep everything else the same.

#5 ·
2640 Monroe St.

I think you both make good points... under normal circumstances I would be completely opposed to building demolition, and that building did have the potential to be re-developed. However, the reasons I'm okay with it in this particular case are the same reasons one could advocate for its redevelopment: its in the old West End and right by the museum. I live around the block from there, a few doors down from the Old West End commons, and poeple pour their heart into keeping that up. If the OWE association has a plan for the property, that's great. However, if they don't, this gives the museum some space to do something with, or, hopefully, gives a private commercial developer some space to build on. I want a coffee shop (besides the glass pavilion's, which isn't too shabby but could be way better, I mean a real neighborhood coffee shop with a kitchen/bakery and all that), or a restaurant, or a video store, or dammit something in the OWE, and I can't really blame the developers on this one, because there is simply little to no commercial zoning in the OWE (the exception being the corner of Delaware and Collingwood, which has maybe the best soul food place in town). I say re-zone this commercial and build something that will benefit the neighborhood. Ideally, a small grocery would be awesome!!

My point is, I don't see this property sitting vacant and creating a gap, unless it does so as a park. There actually has been a decent amount of redevelopment around this corridor in the past five or so years. There is a new Bank, a newer Rite Aid, a new middle school, the redevelopment of the old St. Martin's into Englewood Peace Academy.. and the commercial properties on monroe/bancroft are pretty much occupied, as far as I can tell.

I do lament the loss of a near 100 year old building... However, I can't imagine Carty would be so concerned about demolition unless he was trying to take credit for pushing through someone else's idea, so maybe something is already in the works...?

#6 ·
2640 Monroe St

But to clarify, I do think it's bullsh*t that the City slaps the owner with a citation for this, then demolishes it and foots them with the bill. It should be compensating the owner for the taking through eminent domain!! The City's intentions are probably good, and most people are probably in favor of this sort of demolition (as noted, this gets the taxpayers off the hook), and if the building is an actual real nuisance this should most definitely be the way its handled. But I know for a fact that the City abuses the building code for fundraising purposes, as does anyone who owns vacant property. But in this they aren't different from any other city, suburb, town, etc., in the rest of the world... Doesn't make it right.

#9 ·
Take solace my Toledo commrades. The best threads are jam packed with local slueth photogs. Much of the old thread is old news. People don't go back 25 pages to read posts from 2006. You can still reference Blade articles by posting the headline and byline only and then the article link.(At least that is the way Chicago threads do it). Meanwhile get out on the street and take real time photos and post those with your name credited. I look forward to an even better Toledo thread. :)

#10 ·
Intermodel news?

Man, there has been this media blitz this week on the water deal with the property North of the Airport. It seems like everyone is placing the blame square on Carty for not getting this deal done, and as of right now they have me convinced. From what I can tell, his ball-dropping is a product of his trying to follow the Toledo water compact regulations, which necessitate the establishment of a Joint Economic Development Zone before new water lines are installed. This seems all well and good, but Carty seems to be taking his sweet time working one out with Swanton and Monclova (I read in the Free Press that there is absolutely no time table set for working out a JEDZ). In addition, the Free Press reported that Carty won't sign the paperwork for the water until McMahon reveals his developer.

My question: is Carty that F-ing crazy, or does the City have a legitimate reason for taking their time?? I mean, we will truly miss the boat if we don't jump on this opportunity as soon as possible. The media spin on the situation is making my head want to explode. So this is my question, I guess, is this just spin, or are there legitimate behind the scenes negotiations under way? And is there anyone with any sort of inside knowledge on what Carty is actually thinking? Is he just holding out for the glory, with the intention of signing in the next month or so, is is there a chance he will actually drop the ball on this project?

#12 ·
Update on the Toledo thread

I'm working on cleaning up the entire 1900 posts with anything that reflects the Toledo Blade articles and pictures. I've done about the first 800 posts thus far and hopefully I can get the rest done by end of this week. This will bring this Toledo thread back into main forum (hopefully).

So keep discussing/posting away while I work on this.

Thanks so for patience.

#42 ·
I have modified all the posts few weeks back to satisfy the demands of Toledo Blade and the administrators of skyscraper city site and yet they have not responded to me or return the 1900 posts back into the main forum. I am quite disappointed and discouraged by the latest actions. I will post when it's warranted from time to time.

I'm working on cleaning up the entire 1900 posts with anything that reflects the Toledo Blade articles and pictures. I've done about the first 800 posts thus far and hopefully I can get the rest done by end of this week. This will bring this Toledo thread back into main forum (hopefully).

So keep discussing/posting away while I work on this.

Thanks so for patience.

#13 ·
Thanks bonjour.... You are the main reason this forum thrives like it does....

This weeks metro had a few interesting articles.... The First was about the port authority buying the old chevron land to enlarge our seaport... When complete Toledo will have the largest seaport on the great lakes. The other articlewas about the small town of Curtice Ohiowhich is half Lucas county half Ottawa wanting to suceed from Ottawa and have all the territory of curtice in Lucas county..... I guess Curtice got snubbed out of some money that they could have really used and it went to a restuarant in Port Clinton and they feel like there getting the short end of the stick living in western ottawa county so that is the reason for them wanting to leave Ottawa.

Also..... the Flickr link Pilliod posted about a week or so ago with the arena pics has been updated..... Looks like they go out n take a pic or 2 a week so keep your eyes open on that.....

#19 ·
Theres a good pic of the arena on the blades front page today (friday). The announcement is wednesday with the final plans 10 am seagate center.... If i can get up that early I'll be there.....

Also today the Marina District had its first passenger ferry leave for Put in Bay..... Jet Express is looking to do more trips from toledo to PIB in the future.... Hope the weather didnt scare anyone away from takin the trip.......

#21 ·
Toledo on a Sunny-day

I took a long walk around Toledo this afternoon, starting in International Park in East Toledo

Remnants of Portside

Up Madison Avenue

Fifth Third Field through the new county arena

Main Library

Toledo Sign Company

New Uptown House (?)

From the Anthony Wayne Hi-Level Bridge over the beautiful Maumee River

Glass City Skyway (I-280)

Lucky Catch

Toledo's Alamo Square?

#22 ·
Great pics cjf i especially like the one centered on the warehouse district...... AND I WANT THAT BIJOU SIGN!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO........ In this weeks metro press there was a few interesting articles..... One was about the Miami St development (Near Pilkington) Theres finally a name for this project, RIVERVIEW Toledo...... RIVERVIEWTOLEDO.COM is the site.... The guy who was tryin to do the SKYWAY CENTER at the marina district is now trying to do a Riverview Center at this location..... He's trying to make it more of a Toledo Historical museum and trying to tie it in with the new bridge.

The other article is about REERC (River East Econ Rivatilization Co) Hiring Bob McCloskey as they try to double there membership from last year.... Not sure what all this is but hopefully it works out... I know McCloskey is a dirt bag or was atleast but hopefully his little stint in the pen cleaned him up...... He always seemed like he tried to do the right thing.... But back when he was around not much was happening in Toledo like it is now......

And if anyone goes out to take a look at the Pilkington property be careful from the 75 south onramp till the rossford limits..... Lots of orange barrels lane restrictions and it seems like everytime I go to one of my games out in rossford theres an accident right where the 75 s onramp is when your turning from miami to the side street to get on.

#24 ·
Wheres everyone at? This thread didnt die did it??

The final drawings for the new Arena have been released..... Head to Lucascountyarena.com and go to About the arena and download the powerpoint presentation...... nbc24 has some pics on there website as well.

Oregon Ohio....... the Wheeling street widening project is inching closer the city has purchased half the houses it needs to increase wheeling at 280 to 6 lanes.......

Any news on Savage Hall?

#25 ·
We're all scared of the Blade!
I'm working on mapping some photos of the Miami and Erie Canal in Lucas County, and came across these plans for an expressway from 1950:

Strange reverse image

At Ottawa River

I-475 and I-75?

Again with the reverse image

#28 ·
The final drawings for the new Arena have been released..... Head to Lucascountyarena.com and go to About the arena and download the powerpoint presentation...... nbc24 has some pics on there website as well.

I checked out the NBC24 link, and damn, I'm pretty impressed. This is going to be one of the best urban arenas in America, bar none. The integration into the streetscape is superb and I really like the plans for statues and sculptures outside. The entrance and public gathering place off Madison in front of the historic Keybank building looks great (it will be situated on what was once Superior Street). This looks like it will be a huge success for Toledo.

Toledo will have two of the best-designed, most functionally urban sports venues in America when this is done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.