SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Manchester Hotels

881K views 4K replies 335 participants last post by  anorack 1 
#1 ·
Another new hotel for the city centre!(I will include the rest, built and proposed as soon as I've got time)

City Centre Ward 077062/FO/2005/C2 08/11/2005 Corner Of Wyre Street And Fairfield Street Adjacent To Manchester Piccadilly Station City Construction of new 73 bedroom hotel with ancillary functions and 4 meeting rooms
Fairfield Street

See less See more
#3 ·
TheGrand said:
Incidently, the old goods station there, wasnt that going to be turned into Manchester Airports terminal 4 or something, remember reading that last year
Hopefully it'll get re-opened as town's 3rd major station. Little touches like that would help our City's image worldwide, and speed up the rate of regeneration round that area.

oh if I was king of the world...

#7 ·
Two Hotels out of Nowhere (+2/3 more)

Good to hear about this development. Whilst it will be initially isolated, it will eventually be joined with the MacDonald/Gateway House proposal that I believe is forthcoming, in 2/3s of Gateway (leaving the other 1/3 for office space).

There is also Mill Point and a section of land immediately behind that (Piccadilly Station side) that is being prepared for a key worker apartment scheme. There's also the office scheme, the old sorting office, that Bruntwood are doing adding vitality, to an other-wise dead area.

So that's those two hotels, plus the Eastgate Hotel, the Picc Place/Holiday Inn and dare I speculate, the Old Fire Station, which is owned by a hotelier LOL! This of course to add to Malmaison and the' world-class' Monroes!

#10 ·
A bit of investigating tonight.

Turned up something.

075988/FO/2005/C2

Telecommunications House (Victory House)
London Road
City

Conversion of existing building to offices (use class B1) and 231 bedroom hotel (use class C2) and ancillary functions with car parking on site at rear

Approved

*A 231-bed four-star hotel in the former BT tower block on London Road. Scottish firm Macdonald Hotels wants planning permission to transform the building into a hotel with mixed office use. Macdonald operates 60 hotels and resorts in Britain and will be venturing into Manchester city centre for the first time, with the majority of its business focused on the four-star market.

Click on Rio link, then retail & leisure, then lazy-l hotel.

I'm 99.99% sure those renders relate to the eurocentral hotel?

I think a phone call may be necessary on Tuesday to clear things up. :)

Architects.

http://www.rioarchitects.co.uk/data_rio.xml

Hotel Company.

http://www.macdonald-hotels.co.uk/

#12 ·
TheGrand said:
Incidently, the old goods station there, wasnt that going to be turned into Manchester Airports terminal 4 or something, remember reading that last year

Manchester Mayfield Station... it was just a proposal but I doubt it will be used, maybe far in the future.

#13 ·
#18 ·
I did once hear a proposal for Mayfield Street but in a classic Longford - fluffy kittens/chocolate biscuits/ Charlotte-Church-in-a-bikini type moment i cant remember what it was. What i do remember was that whatever it was, it wasnt going to be cost effective and it was abandoned. I'll try and remember what it was (it wasnt a go-karting and mud wrestling megaplex that i do know!)

#2,220 ·
Thinking Big! Like it, What we need is Tower Hotel with access for tourists to a viewing platform & Hotel lift access from a 10 storey structure up the tower to a Fine dining restaurant and a bar below it similar to the Sky bar @ the Hilton, but with real views of the Northwest....:cheers::cheers:

#20 ·
I suspect you mean the Burj Al-Arab? Burj Dubai is almost a kilometer tall. Couldn't be arsed with that anywhere in the centre of Manc. Wouldn't mind it in the middle of Sport City mind. Burj Al-Arab, I'd cack myself to death if we ever got something as beautiful as that.