search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia > Rīga

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #201
varlamas

Likes (Received): 0

Great destination name on that #16 trolley head sign! Šmerlis

So is the long term goal of Riga's PT to have both Solaris and new Škodas in the fleet?

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #202
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
There is history behind this "zoological garden" of trolleybuses. Riga didn't want it that way
Was it because of change of chairman or something like that? I don't remember exactly
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:51 AM   #203
Gatis

Likes (Received): 590

No - it's because Hungarian producer couldn't cope with his obligations - he stopped producing them. Thus there had to be announced additional tender and Skoda took it this time.
Old November 30th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #204
Nomels
I Love Ice

Likes (Received): 241

Overloaded PT? Someone is breathing pure alchocol in your face?

I would introduce differing standards and prices for trams and trolleys
- More expensive ones would be with more comfort and limited seats - that would compensate for the lost revenue from more passengers, but people would move out of the cars quickly to the high comfort public transport
- The cheap ones wold have lower standards of comfort

They would be served on busy hours following each other - mornings and evenings, when everyone goes to work and public transport is overloaded.
Old December 5th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #205
Nomels
I Love Ice

Hanza Crossing

Here are proposals for Hanza Crossing - tunnels and bridges
http://www.andrejsala.lv/data/file/H...skersojums.pdf

New tram and bus lines apparently are planned to be implemented in two stages:
First stage:

Second stage. My comment from the first look - I feel that if tram would be directed to Andrejsala it would create extra congestions on Hanzas and Eksporta street, because tram would have to cross it - it would be similar to what is happening when driving down from Vansu Bridge towards Valdemara str. - tram is making car traffic to struggle. The fact that people (so called "planners") are not looking at possible effects of their ideas is miserable and cheap. If honestly - it is pissing me off. The only way tram can go to Andrejsala is if there is a tram bridge/tunnel built specifically for it.
What do you reckon?:

This is scheme of planned car parking:

Pedestrian access:

Velo infrastructure:

Last edited by Nomels; December 5th, 2007 at 02:11 PM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:39 PM   #206
Nomels
I Love Ice

Riga City Transport department announced a tender for designing a tunnel connecting Daugavpils and Gertrudes. Investment - 15milLVL. Optimistically construction could start in 2010 and finish in 2012

The first Park&Ride design tender has been announced for a plot on Maskavas street near new Culture Centre. Parking space for 1500 cars, cost estimate 25milLVL. Construction starting date is autumn 2008. More of those please
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #207
Laurijs
Laurijs

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomels View Post
Riga City Transport department announced a tender for designing a tunnel connecting Daugavpils and Gertrudes...
This tunnel is needed as air!!!

P.S. "Maskavas street near new Culture Centre." ... where is that?

Subscribe | Rate | Comment
Laurijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #208
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurijs View Post
This tunnel is needed as air!!!

P.S. "Maskavas street near new Culture Centre." ... where is that?
That is gonna be something newly built - designs will be ready at the beginning of next year. Location - just beyond Dole
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #209
Mikrobs
BANNED

Private company "Pilsētas ganības" plan to build new "central" passenger rail station near Skanstes street district. Planed investments - 100 million euro.

Full text (in latvian)
http://www.financenet.lv/zinas/latvi....php?id=172021

Somehow this project doesn't sound real to me.

Last edited by Mikrobs; December 12th, 2007 at 01:56 PM.
Mikrobs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #210
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikrobs View Post
Private company "Pilsētas ganības" plan to build new "central" passenger rail station near Skanstes street district. Planed investments - 100 million euro.

Full text (in latvian)
http://www.financenet.lv/zinas/latvi....php?id=172021

Somehow this project doesn't sound real to me.
Hi, Mikrobs, welcome to the forum Its a good start with good news
I investigated the site today and I have to say, it could be real and it would work, here is what I found:

0. Do not forget that they are planning the Bus Central Station as for further "distribution" of people across the region and the District is developing incredibly fast and there are no other competing public transport system in place

1. This could be the view from the potentially new station

2. This is a view where the station could be located

3. This a view towards the rail bridge crossing the Valdemara street towards the centre

4. This is a Bridge itself. As you can see it is built to do two pairs of rails, but here is only one currently built and used. The second track seems to be stable and could be used as well. The bridge is roughly 1km away where the new station could be.

5. Here is a closest station - Brasa. It is about 2km away from the New Central Station.

Last edited by Nomels; December 12th, 2007 at 07:56 PM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #211
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

New central station????

Sounds interesting ... but do we need one???? I think the current station is fine ... and with a new central station we need to almost completly reorganise public transport system ...
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #212
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid 87 View Post
New central station????

Sounds interesting ... but do we need one???? I think the current station is fine ... and with a new central station we need to almost completly reorganise public transport system ...
From what I read... well... this new station would be operating in conjunction with Central Station meaning that there would would be two pick up points for most of the destinations, but there will not be new routes. Does that make sense?
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #213
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Still doesn't ...

So the existing routes will to the new station ...
That means from Jurmala and Jelgava they will go through the current station And then over Zemitani, Brasa to the new one?
From Ogre (and other destinations beyond that) will go through Zemitani, Brasa to the new station?
That means that Zemitani will have the most through going trains ... and I thin that it's too much for such a station.
Ok it will have less trains cuz from Sigulda trains will go thraight to the new station.
From Saulkrasti how will the trains get to the new station? Stop at brasa and then back up into the station? Or will they rebuild the rail cross at brasa completly?

Here is what I mean:
Now:

With the new station:
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #214
Laurijs
Laurijs

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
That means that Zemitani will have the most through going trains ... and I thin that it's too much for such a station.
Zemitāni can be reconstructed easily!
Quote:
From Saulkrasti how will the trains get to the new station? Stop at brasa and then back up into the station?
No problems to build few hundrid meter railway from new station to Saulkrasti direction to avoid going trough Zemitani! I just can't see any problems!

I see another thing! I see that new train station and bus station will really help to reduce existing huge pressure on central station. Those lots and lots thousand people per day there - this is not normal! New central station complax is great idea, it will be so nice to have lot of place and so close to centre!

Subscribe | Rate | Comment
Laurijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #215
Mikrobs
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurijs View Post
I see another thing! I see that new train station and bus station will really help to reduce existing huge pressure on central station. Those lots and lots thousand people per day there - this is not normal!
What are you talking about? I don't know exact original central train station capacity, but I know that in soviet times Latvia had alot more train passengers than we have now (more than 100 million in late 80ties, around 10 million now, correct me if I am wrong). And no one complained back then that station was overcrowded. Half of train station visitors are not even train passengers. They visit only Origo shopping center.

Last edited by Mikrobs; December 13th, 2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #216
Gatis

The new station is proposed with a view in future. In future there will be railway crossing over Daugava near this new station (even in Rail Baltica project does not go). And there will be direct link from here to airport as well. And all of this shall happen rather soon.
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM   #217
Mikrobs
BANNED

Ah, sweet dreams... Hope they will fulfill
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #218
Gatis

Yesss... but when looking at map I see that every train going from that new station towards the potential Daugava bridge shall make "blind turn" - at first go towards east until it's on the exact rails and only then start going west, over Daugava. The proposed location for bridge is well to the north.
Old December 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #219
Nomels
I Love Ice

I am convinced it will be where the red ellipse is - at the end not in the middle of Sporta St.
Old December 13th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #220
RS
RS

Likes (Received): 17

So and more, if there will bee such a far from city center this station (the red ecllipse), where is reason tu build it ?

Again....need public tranport with big capacity to city center.

Even maybee the RING wich connect New station with old station (building a underground tunnel) starting at Pulvkeža brieža ending on the tracks in "old central station"
RS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
public transport, riga

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: