search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia > Rīga

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:50 AM   #261
Nomels
I Love Ice

Likes (Received): 241

I just red in news that the Minisrty of Transport announced the tender for exploration of the best railway route to the Riga Airport

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #262
Nomels
I Love Ice

Check ou this one. Sorry, in Latvian..at the moment - I will give you a clue in a bit
http://www.tvnet.lv/zinas/latvija/article.php?id=533320
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #263
Gatis

Likes (Received): 590

Prolonged tender on supply of low-floor trams for Riga city - tender bids to be opened on 28th March. There is planned to purchase 20 low-floor trams and to rebuild+extend the 6th tram line, including construction of tram tunnel under railway at VEF.
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #264
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7250

Just wondering, how big is Riga's current transport fleet (buses, trams, trolley's, etc) and how many passengers are transported on an annual basis?

Also, what sort of firms have shown interest in participating in this low-floor tram tender? Any domestic ones? I remember there was some news of a Latvian firm trying to devolop a low-floor tram - RVR maybe? Whatever happened to that?
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #265
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomels View Post
The Central Station of Riga Metro

Perspective routes of metro (1980's)

The sketch of High Speed Tram in Riga (1965)

According to a russian press there is a metro built in Riga, its a secret line!

The whole article:

Cheers
Would love to find it, this Metro line, like Indiana Jones looking for those secret treasures... But Metro for Riga is uneasy, specifically because we are close to the sea and with a soil that is sandy and inequal, lots of problems for building I guess... And if it is under Vencu tilts, ... would be interesting to use...
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #266
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
Just wondering, how big is Riga's current transport fleet (buses, trams, trolley's, etc) and how many passengers are transported on an annual basis?

Also, what sort of firms have shown interest in participating in this low-floor tram tender? Any domestic ones? I remember there was some news of a Latvian firm trying to devolop a low-floor tram - RVR maybe? Whatever happened to that?
For tramways, there are only a few companies able to provide if they have correct bogies for Riga. Skoda, Bombardier, Siemens, Pesa and maybe Alstom or CAF are potential providers. I believe RVR needs a partner to build 100% low-floor trams, I don't have time to design a new tram for them in such a short time...

But the problem is that if you want to have a succesful tram like in Brussels (+70% public in 5 years, less cars on the streets) that is attractive, you have to think Design and not only technique. This tender for Riga is only technical... Seems no vision...

Last edited by Micrav; February 20th, 2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Addition to my text
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #267
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrav View Post
For tramways, there are only a few companies able to provide if they have correct bogies for Riga. Skoda, Bombardier, Siemens, Pesa and maybe Alstom or CAF are potential providers. I believe RVR needs a partner to build 100% low-floor trams, I don't have time to design a new tram for them in such a short time...

But the problem is that if you want to have a succesful tram like in Brussels (+70% public in 5 years, less cars on the streets) that is attractive, you have to think Design and not only technique. This tender for Riga is only technical... Seems no vision...
Good thinking and welcome to the club

Last edited by Nomels; February 20th, 2008 at 12:56 PM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #268
Micrav
Live!

Tram Tatra T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomels View Post
Good thinking and welcome to the club
Thanks for the welcome!

About TRAMS, knowing that not all new low-floor trams will be available now and there is a huge stock of 200 Tatra T3 who can still run for 10-15 years, I am thinking about making proposals to refurbish them to make them more attractive in terms of colours, seats, access, exterior look, convenience... Big work, don't want to invest my time for nothing...

What do you think about the idea, do you think Rigas Satiksmes would be open to such proposal? Of course, with the industrial counterpart (design needs to be realized, I know what to do, where to manufacture, this is my job). People prefer to drive in Lexus than Jiguli (Lada) today. Of course, it would not solve the whole problem, but a relooking could help to change this "Zombie face" of the Tatra T3...

Do you know somebody over there (RS) I could contact to propose the idea? Or maybe I should propose to Riga City Transport Department...
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #269
Gatis

I am not sure if this idea will be welcome. This approach was used by "Passenger train" who first refurbish the fleet of existing trains and then replace them with brand new ones. Rigas satiksme and city will concentrate forces on a purchase of new low-floor tram system.
At the same time it is clear that on some lines the old trams will continue to run for 10 years and more. So - there is a chance to prove something...

Look here - these are people working with transport problems in Riga now:
http://www.riga.lv/LV/PostingData/Ne...ate=16.11.2007
Old February 20th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #270
Into
Landscape Architect

Likes (Received): 6

Hand in hand with improving public transport, has there been any thought towards implementing automated traffic enforcement?
Camera systems installed at the problem intersections first, then in other areas.
That would go a long way towards improving traffic, especially helping keep buses and trams (that share the roadways with automobiles) on schedule and based on the existing conditions, would also generate considerable revenue! If offenders fail to pay their fines, then vehicle registration or drivers license is suspended. They have these systems everywhere, but I think in Germany they are really well developed.
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #271
Nomels
I Love Ice

There will be speed cameras very soon, but I do not think there will any traffic cams
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #272
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1756

Tallinn has already implemented that bus priority system at major traffic-light junctions. We also have cameras at many intersections(see here: http://ristmikud.tallinn.ee/ ), don't know how much that has helped to solve traffic problems, though.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #273
raz

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
I believe RVR needs a partner to build 100% low-floor trams, I don't have time to design a new tram for them in such a short time...
I was under an impression that RVR planed to buy a licensing package from Bombardier for their low floor tram.
raz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:11 AM   #274
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
I was under an impression that RVR planed to buy a licensing package from Bombardier for their low floor tram.
Would be smart for RVR, they need it! I am not in the secret of the gods, I just know RVR has printed posters of new tram inside the yard of their building... So I guess they would, but in this tender, Rigas Satiksmes will choose only one partner who had the experience of manufacturing 100 low-floor trams (requirement from tender).

If Bombardier does not show himself openly, RVR cannot apply because they never manufactured 100% low-floor trams before. But I hope they will find the way to participate, needed to survive and to develop new projects...
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:21 AM   #275
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Into View Post
Hand in hand with improving public transport, has there been any thought towards implementing automated traffic enforcement?
Camera systems installed at the problem intersections first, then in other areas.
That would go a long way towards improving traffic, especially helping keep buses and trams (that share the roadways with automobiles) on schedule and based on the existing conditions, would also generate considerable revenue! If offenders fail to pay their fines, then vehicle registration or drivers license is suspended. They have these systems everywhere, but I think in Germany they are really well developed.
The most effective systems I know are in Belgium and Netherlands for traffic management, people are really scared now to drive stupid, would be good for the Baltics to give more discipline to drivers that feel they can do everything they want on the road... Latvia is a free country, but not free to do stupid things while driving... I would say the same for Lithuanian truck drivers...

But in general, I never saw any professional counting of vehicules and traffic management system in Riga, therefore, everything works so-so... But maybe there is ... And also Riga must fight with LDZ to ask them to modernize their railroad crossings, not leaving the decision to raise or cross gates to humans. I saw crazy situations where the crossing guard was playing with people honking. After more than 30 minutes of crossing closed without any train crossing, everytime, the guard was showing up and cars were honking, the guard felt offended and went back to house leaving the gates closed for 10 more minutes. The situation went on and on like this for more than 50 minutes in total... And also, automatisation should be more effective, not to wait 5 minutes before the train comes, check in Belgium and Germany, they are effective, time is money. You wait very little in your car...
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:46 AM   #276
Juriks

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Would love to find it, this Metro line, like Indiana Jones looking for those secret treasures... But Metro for Riga is uneasy, specifically because we are close to the sea and with a soil that is sandy and inequal, lots of problems for building I guess... And if it is under Vencu tilts, ... would be interesting to use...
Very interesting... BUT see the date of the article :
Juriks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM   #277
Laurijs
Laurijs

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juriks View Post
Very interesting... BUT see the date of the article :
Yeah ... a lil bit outdates

P.S. In St. Petersburg, Russia the situation with sand, and underground water level is much much difficult, than here in Riga, BUT they have a nice running Metro system! :P

Subscribe | Rate | Comment
Laurijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM   #278
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1756

St. Petersburg metro is very deep...I think it's below water-tight soil levels.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:32 PM   #279
Gatis

Quote:
In St. Petersburg, Russia the situation with sand, and underground water level is much much difficult, than here in Riga, BUT they have a nice running Metro system! :P
Have studied geology in StPetersburg. Geological conditions there are complicated but in Riga they are A LOT more complicated than there.

But I think - there is somewhere special thread about metro in Riga - dig for it if you are interested
- - -
Today Riga Traffic Department proudly presented Skulte flyover project. This is new large traffic bridge across railway in northern part of Riga, in Sarkandaugava. Construction - end of 2008 - 2010. Length of the rised part - 300 metres, four lines with division in middle, all the necessary access roads and . This building should take away the constant traffic jams in Sarkandaugava and turn this historical part of city into something more pleasant.

Costs - 67 - 71 mio EUR. This is a lot - if you ask me...
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM   #280
Juriks

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurijs View Post
Yeah ... a lil bit outdates

P.S. In St. Petersburg, Russia the situation with sand, and underground water level is much much difficult, than here in Riga, BUT they have a nice running Metro system! :P
I mean 1-7 april
Juriks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
public transport, riga

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: