search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia > Rīga

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #301
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWR-Architecture View Post
Skoda 15T 100% Low floor, and tram is taking part in Riga tender, on the basis of Skoda 15T...
Thanks for the picture, I hope there will be improvement, because it looks terribly aggressive... Brrrr I believe this tram should be inviting and reminding or beautiful architecture of the city... Maybe with some touch-ups...

Last edited by Micrav; April 11th, 2008 at 11:49 PM.
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #302
RWR-Architecture

Likes (Received): 14

http://www.prazsketramvaje.cz/view.p...nku=2008041001 Skoda 15T
RWR-Architecture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #303
Nomels
I Love Ice

Likes (Received): 241

I just red in press that there is support and discussion to convert Riga public buses to biofuel (I think biodiesel - some German technology would be used). I think it would be great - Riga would smell like one big pancake
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #304
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWR-Architecture View Post
Again, thanks for the link...

If they choose this interior, could be very nice, but not with wooden seats of course, they look lide wood but I guess they are soft...

I think the exterior design and interior is not fully finished but good enough for tender. Skoda designers did a good normal job (sorry to say for Porsche, but seems better).

Another interior view:

Now, it is also need from Rigas Satiksmes to ask for specific adaptations (touch-ups, colors, materials, ...)
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #305
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomels View Post
I just red in press that there is support and discussion to convert Riga public buses to biofuel (I think biodiesel - some German technology would be used). I think it would be great - Riga would smell like one big pancake
Yes, public transportation does not know yet how to drive on compressed air. It exists, not polluting, not raising the price of crops, just need electricity to compress air to 400 atmosphere. (requires space technology made tanks (I have the manufacturers contacts, it is affordable...) Just need to develop projects... Does anybody know somebody with one million euros to start bus, car or train project? It is not much for such a market, and with this money, we build and produce engine, bus (prototype), protect technology and start the commercial sales. Then there will be need for other millions to build factory when we will have order of 100 buses (just do like Airbus, except that their planes costs billions and not 100000 € I am dead serious this time!!! My industrial projects are not nothing in this case and are the result of 15 years of "veille technologique" of an industrial designer...
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #306
Nomels
I Love Ice

Likes (Received): 241

Well, are you sure that compressed air technology can offer millage appropriate for public or private urban or rural use. Are you 100% convinced it is possible? The reason I am asking is I red that even though technology has been known and explored for years the performance of air engine transport is actually miserable. Am I totally wrong?
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #307
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomels View Post
Well, are you sure that compressed air technology can offer millage appropriate for public or private urban or rural use. Are you 100% convinced it is possible? The reason I am asking is I red that even though technology has been known and explored for years the performance of air engine transport is actually miserable. Am I totally wrong?
Yes, new technology only with new type of engine. You can have various autonomy but it it fully enough for city use. Ask how many kilometers a bus drives/day into city and you will be surprised for some lines, it is very little. They are slow in traffic, that is all. With fast filling stations during lunch break of driver, you improve autonomy also, but it depends on how many tanks you carry in the bus, the train or the car...
Old April 12th, 2008, 07:08 AM   #308
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 524

And here is how the Škoda tram could look like in our Riga colors ... sorry for the crappy PS work

And I have a question ... does anyone know something about the electrical ticket (elektriskā biļete) which they want to bring into public transport system?
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM   #309
LatvianGG
Hotel Business

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid 87 View Post
And I have a question ... does anyone know something about the electrical ticket (elektriskā biļete) which they want to bring into public transport system?
Perhaps some kind of chipcard - Netherlands is going to swich to such electronic tickets in a coumple of months. Paper tickets will dissapear at all.

Going to Amsterdam??
http://www.hotelaalders.nl
LatvianGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #310
Micrav
Live!

Quote:

If it is like London and their Oyster card, you have a card with which you just touch an area and it debits automatically your account. Fast but apparently not perfect yet, I saw some helpers of public transportation helping some people in difficulty... But it is quite interesting system for high speed.

More info: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oysteronline/2732.aspx
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:38 AM   #311
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 524

If so then it's great. Cuz right now to buy a ticket I need cash, but all my money is on my account, so the first problem is not to count the santims but to get them.

But still older people will not use such e-ticket. Cuz even if they have an account it is propably empty. Since I work in a banka I know that about 75% of older poeple with an account only use it to get pension and as it has came in they take everything out (ok maybe some santims are there).

To my mind a good solution could be:
Paper tickets from shops and kiosks.
And an electric conductor in public transport vehichles, which allow to pay for the ride with cards (directly with your Visa, Maestro or whatever you have) or with the electric ticket.
Maybe it could also make it possible to buy a ticket on the electric conductor with cash, so there will be less work for drivers, who won't be selling paper tickets while they drive.

But it's just an idea which came in the boring work hours with no people in the bank
Old April 13th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #312
Dompcz
DoM

Likes (Received): 53

These Skoda trams look quite good to me. The front looks a little funny though, like an angry face with sticking ears. How many of these will be bought? Overall this is really great news for Riga.
As for electronic tickets here Klaipeda, Kaunas and Vilnius has got them since last year, though paper tickets will be removed for all only this year.
Dompcz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #313
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7250

What happened to the tram being developed by RVR? I was hoping Riga was going to buy those instead.
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #314
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dompcz View Post
These Skoda trams look quite good to me. The front looks a little funny though, like an angry face with sticking ears. How many of these will be bought? Overall this is really great news for Riga.
As for electronic tickets here Klaipeda, Kaunas and Vilnius has got them since last year, though paper tickets will be removed for all only this year.
But if I'm a tourist and want to use PT in Vilnius, for example, do I have to buy an electronic card too?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #315
Dompcz
DoM

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
But if I'm a tourist and want to use PT in Vilnius, for example, do I have to buy an electronic card too?
I'm not sure but I think they'll need to buy electronic card too. The card will cost 8 LT (now it costs 2 LT), so it's quite cheap for tourists.
Dompcz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #316
Gatis

Likes (Received): 590

Quote:
What happened to the tram being developed by RVR? I was hoping Riga was going to buy those instead.
Seems, the idea is dead now. They (RVR) had lots of time to develop it and it seems, local authorities would be happy to see them up and running. But they did not come up with a tender proposal. This means - forget about locally produced trams here
RVR at least is making overhaul to electric trams in Belarus currently - thus the factory is alive.
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #317
Laurijs
Laurijs

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
To my mind a good solution could be:
Paper tickets from shops and kiosks.
And an electric conductor in public transport vehichles, which allow to pay for the ride with cards (directly with your Visa, Maestro or whatever you have) or with the electric ticket.
Maybe it could also make it possible to buy a ticket on the electric conductor with cash, so there will be less work for drivers, who won't be selling paper tickets while they drive.

But it's just an idea which came in the boring work hours with no people in the bank
I am against something left in paper standart and meny ticket tipes. For old people there could be another, much easier, solution. Buy a electronic ticket (the same chip card everubody used with bank account linked), go to some special kiosks, and deposit cash onto electronic ticket. or another one, sell these electronic tickets with money on them or time tickets (for example one week or month). It's not that hard

Subscribe | Rate | Comment
Laurijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #318
Jedrzej

Likes (Received): 314

In my city, Kraków, the problem with tickets was solved in a similar, but a little bit different way. On most bus and tram stops there are special machines in which you can buy all types of tickets, I mean 1h, 24h, night, one ride etc as well as charge your monthly or yearly plastic card. Those automats are also inside trams and buses, but there you can only buy tickets and cannot charge your card. Those automats looks like this one:

and the card looks like that:

Right now it's very hard to get ticket in kiosk or shop.
Jedrzej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #319
Micrav
Live!

No new development?
"Waterloo, Waterloo, morne plaine!!!"
Old April 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #320
Gatis

Likes (Received): 590

What???