daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia > Rīga

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #321
Nomels
I Love Ice

Likes (Received): 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrav View Post
No new development?
"Waterloo, Waterloo, morne plaine!!!"
Do you mean where are news?

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #322
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomels View Post
Do you mean where are news?
No simply, no news recently... sad lke a battlefield after battle.
Waterloo was a sad battlefield... This famous phrase in french is from Victor Hugo, famous writer and became expression.
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #323
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

No, I knew that sentence about Waterloo. But there aren't news every day about Riga public transport.

In these days Riga got very advanced troleybuses - "Skoda 24Tr". These trolleybuses besides electrical drive have also diesel motors. Few days ago I looked how this trolleybus passes traffic jam on Akmens bridge - the wires remove themselves (of course, by driver), engine swithes on and trolleybus drives around the waiting queue of cars. This manouevre is not allowed but police closes eye on public transport. Unfortunately I did not see how the wires are connected again at the other end of bridge - most likely driver steps out and places them back himself.

Other extras - air conditioning (not news for Riga - all new buses and trolleybuses have it)

In previous years Riga got 29 new Solaris Trollino 12 trolleybuses, their design looks a lot better than Skoda. But it seems that Skoda could be technically better. In 2007 there were supplied 20 new Skoda's, in 2008 - 80 and in 2009 - 50. In total 40 of these trolleybuses will have diesel engines. Floor is very low, for people with wheelcharts there is special platform so that they can enter the trolleybus.

Here - some pictures of "Skoda 24Tr"
http://riga.mashke.org/Riga-Troll/Sk...6/8056_lat.htm

And here - "Solaris Trollino 18"
http://riga.mashke.org/Riga-Troll/Tr...70/670_lat.htm
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #324
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 174

Exactly, Solaris looks better. Maybe Skoda is better technically but we don't know it
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 04:06 PM   #325
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

But does anyone know which routes will these trolleybuses cover?
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #326
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
No, I knew that sentence about Waterloo. But there aren't news every day about Riga public transport.

Here - some pictures of "Skoda 24Tr"
http://riga.mashke.org/Riga-Troll/Sk...6/8056_lat.htm

And here - "Solaris Trollino 18"
http://riga.mashke.org/Riga-Troll/Tr...70/670_lat.htm
About Irisbus (SKODA), I find them in terms of look absolutely awful (did you see how many logos there are on them? It is explained by the following facts:
They are lightly redesigned 10 year old Renault buses. Renault has sold its shares in buses to Iveco. Now Iveco has made a company named Irisbus and apparently, Skoda took licence to produce them adding ugly lights, bumps and holes all over. This is a typical example of layers added after one another without thinking too much unfortunately... For the technique, sure they meet the requirements... But for design, Riga takes what manufacturers propose them... Why they don't work like in Belgium, where designers work hand in hand with manufacturers to propose nice and actual design for rolling stock?
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #327
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
About Irisbus (SKODA), I find them in terms of look absolutely awful (did you see how many logos there are on them? It is explained by the following facts:
They are lightly redesigned 10 year old Renault buses. Renault has sold its shares in buses to Iveco. Now Iveco has made a company named Irisbus and apparently, Skoda took licence to produce them adding ugly lights, bumps and holes all over. This is a typical example of layers added after one another without thinking too much unfortunately... For the technique, sure they meet the requirements... But for design, Riga takes what manufacturers propose them... Why they don't work like in Belgium, where designers work hand in hand with manufacturers to propose nice and actual design for rolling stock?
Because every new practice is and change is met with resistance and because they can not see how that would be beneficial for themselves
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #328
Laurijs
Laurijs

Likes (Received): 7

"Solaris Trollino 18" looks much cooles!!!

Subscribe | Rate | Comment
Laurijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #329
Nomels
I Love Ice

Few news.
Check this video about Riga diesel trolleys

MR Shloser announced that Ryanair will likely open up a base in Riga this year in autumn and Ryanair have confirmed now that negotiations are in progress.http://diena.lv/lat/business/hotnews...dota-rudenibns

Latvian Railway said that the first rail bridge they are going to build will be in HES area in Southern part of Riga and will be built after 2013.

Riga Airport train link with LDZ will be done till 2013.

Apparently City is planning to eliminate Strelnieku square depot and let trolleys use the train tracks through diverting them towards Gogola str Depot and make Trolley 8 and 4 into one line.

This year Bridge over railway in Sarkandaugava will see its begining - some projections:

http://www.diena.lv/lat/politics/rig...joniem-latu#nx

...and visualisation of "lighting-up-canal-area" project - shell be finished this year

Last edited by Nomels; May 30th, 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #330
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 734

What happened with Vansu bridge enlightenment project which was posted here some months ago? Just another flummery?

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #331
Micrav
Live!

I have my idea for a fast rail transport from Airport to Center, but yes, 2013 is close and far... I think of a fast tram (light train) to Riga center linked to actual rail tracks. Need partly a new path of course but very feasable and no need for new bridge...

We definitely cannot afford to overcharge the streets of Riga, already crowded with cars driven most of the time by 1 person only...
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #332
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Few news.

MR Shloser announced that Ryanair will likely open up a base in Riga this year in autumn and Ryanair have confirmed now that negotiations are in progress.http://diena.lv/lat/business/hotnews...dota-rudenibns

Latvian Railway said that the first rail bridge they are going to build will be in HES area in Southern part of Riga and will be built after 2013.

Riga Airport train link with LDZ will be done till 2013.

Apparently City is planning to eliminate Strelnieku square depot and let trolleys use the train tracks through diverting them towards Gogola str Depot and make Trolley 8 and 4 into one line.

...and visualisation of "lighting-up-canal-area" project - shell be finished this year
Good news for Ryanair Hub in Riga, I don't know if it will change a lot of things from today, but more dstinations I guess

For Airport train link, I don't know what is planned by LDZ. Any comment?

But this last picture of lighting the fountain is a bit ugly... Hope the whole project will be at the same level as the railroad bridge...
Old May 30th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #333
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 734

Quote:
I have my idea for a fast rail transport from Airport to Center, but yes, 2013 is close and far... I think of a fast tram (light train) to Riga center linked to actual rail tracks. Need partly a new path of course but very feasable and no need for new bridge...
No need for new bridge? Hmm, how do you plan to get the tram over K. Ulmana gatve?

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #334
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
For Airport train link, I don't know what is planned by LDZ. Any comment?
These are the only renderings of Railway link to airport I've got - visualizations are bit old, but the plan is reasonably fresh.

Last edited by Nomels; June 1st, 2008 at 10:51 PM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:50 PM   #335
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
visualisation of "lighting-up-canal-area" project - shell be finished this year
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 08:56 PM   #336
Triceratops
Labor Omnia Vincit

Likes (Received): 11

No, I don't like it. It's too simple, nothing extraordinary...
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:50 PM   #337
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais Sakarnis View Post
No need for new bridge? Hmm, how do you plan to get the tram over K. Ulmana gatve?
No need for new bride over Daugava... Sure, there will be need for minor works to insure fluid way to the light train-tram... Specificaly when dealing when that K. Ulmana Gatve

Old June 1st, 2008, 05:40 PM   #338
RS
RS

Likes (Received): 18

No matter, light rail, tram or even metro but ideal place for another rail transport is Zemgales bridge, don't you think ??
RS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM   #339
Icantthinkofaname
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS View Post
No matter, light rail, tram or even metro but ideal place for another rail transport is Zemgales bridge, don't you think ??
Somewhere I read long time ago, that it's impossible to rebuild Zemgales bridge on old pylons. They are in too bad condition.
Icantthinkofaname no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:47 PM   #340
vanniken
Explorer

Likes (Received): 86

what is the problem with the airport-citycenter railway line? looking at those plans of railway connection at airport, I think they plan to build a line and connect it to already existing Riga-Jurmala one. For that they will need to build bridge over K.Ulmana gatve (Jurmala road). I think it is a wise decision, and it totally corresponds to already existing idea of implementing a S-bahn type of mass transit system in Riga.
Instead of planning missions to Mars, it would be good for NASA to send up rockets and push a bunch of planets out of alignment. Then they could sit back and laugh when everyone realizes that their horoscopes aren't coming true.
vanniken no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
public transport, riga

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: