daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast > Development News

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2015, 06:46 PM   #3361
futuresooner

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked ID View Post
I'd take my stable and strong economy over a boom-bust economy any day. Does anyone know if I can say d**che-nozzle?
Facts on Nashville having the alleged "boom-bust economy," please. This isn't Florida.
futuresooner no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 21st, 2015, 10:18 PM   #3362
UrbanFarmer

Likes (Received): 1

Vulgar name-calling aside, which you should have been reprimanded for by the mods, Nashville has never been in a bust that was not linked directly to a national recession. Unlike Atlanta which has seen overbuilding at times, Nashville's developers have never been so inclined, as they are conservative. Even in the early 1980s when there was a lot of offices built downtown and despite a change in tax laws in the mid 80s that exacerbated a national recession, three large towers went up in the years following. Nashville defines "slow and steady". Contrast that period to now, and the singular difference is that the city is now growing along with the whole metro area. During the 1980s and 90s, that growth was primarily in the suburban ring counties.

It is obvious that you know very little about Nashville, and your insistence to make that singular point is just stupid. In fact, to try to pin Nashville into a slot like Atlanta is merely a display of simpleminded ignorance. Certain other cities may fancy themselves as some latter day Atlanta, but Nashville is not the typical Southern copycat. It is likely you did not notice from the list above that most of those projects are already under construction or recently completed. And yet the demand for new projects continues. Do you even understand how difficult it is to get construction financing for any large project these days? Suffice it to say, there is a big difference between today and the early 2000s, Raleigh's bust notwithstanding.

I urge you to educate yourself on those reasons fueling Nashville's growth before you go spouting off more ignorance here. Apparently as you indicate, Raleigh experienced a bust that was not a direct result of the national recession of 2008-9. I don't presume to know the causes, but perhaps it occurred because the region is too dependent on one or two industries. You can ruminate on that one to your heart's desire on the RALEIGH THREAD! But we here on the Nashville thread can gather from your tidbits of info that the economy of the "triangle" is not as robust as touted. Now that you mention it, I recall that Raleigh used to be mentioned on many of the same lists as Austin and San Jose, but not so much anymore; probably because of the bust to which you refer. So thanks for giving us that unsolicited explanation of why, but frankly I don't care. Raleigh is not a place that interests me in the least, which is why you won't find me getting on the Raleigh forum to spout ignorance about that town.

Given the lack of knowledge and understanding you have displayed about Nashville, your comments are neither valued nor wanted on this thread. So kindly go and troll some other site.

Last edited by UrbanFarmer; February 21st, 2015 at 10:34 PM.
UrbanFarmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 03:11 PM   #3363
wreynol4

Likes (Received): 40

Looks like the Cambria Suites is a go for late Spring. What do people think of the old convention center site? Is the board still optimistic or pessimistic with all of the missed deadlines? Personally I'm not sure what to make of it, but I don't think it looks good.
wreynol4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #3364
UrbanFarmer

Likes (Received): 1

The convention center proposal remains alive, but it will likely go through another one or two iterations before it sees reality. So much of its timetable will hinge on an anchor tenant for the office tower, as well as continued strength for condos in downtown towers. There's much hope with several large locally based corporations already announcing their intent to search for more office space, and even some from Williamson County. The big test of demand for the residential component is already underway in Giarratana's Paramount. Don't overlook the strong desire by MDHA to have this property repurposed, for its cash value as well as a bone to the Renaissance, which saw its biggest business draw affected greatly by the Music City Center. The retail portion appears to be ready to fall in with the vibrant mix of Lower Broad. So the point that this deal is complicated is very true. There are at least three major players involved here in MDHA, Renaissance and Emery. The first two timelines I thought, were too ambitious. However, I would hasten to add that Emery did make it sound like everything was already moving ahead at breakneck speed. So I will caution anyone in trying to peg a start date to this one. I just may take longer than first announced.
UrbanFarmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:43 PM   #3365
MIRYDI

Likes (Received): 198

Groundbreaking set for Gulch boutique hotel
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/...boutique_hotel

Quote:
Ground will be broken Thursday, March 5, in the Gulch on the Thompson Nashville hotel, officials involved with the project announced today.

The boutique hotel will rise at the split of 11th and 12th avenues (see here in an image courtesy of Google Maps).

The 224-room hotel, a price tag for which is not being disclosed, will sit on 0.64 acres on what had been a gravel parking lot. Rising 12 stories, the structure will share the block home to the buildings housing venerable live music venue The Station Inn and The 404 Hotel and Kitchen.
Quote:
Nashville-based Hastings Architecture Associates is designing the building, which also will feature retail space and is slated for a late 2016 completion.

Nashville-based MarketStreet Enterprises, the MDHA-appointed master developer of the Gulch, owns the site and will oversee the development. Commune Hotels & Resorts, AJ Capital Partners and The Berger Company will participate.

JE Dunn, which is also locally based, will serve as the general contractor.

A ceremonial event, with Mayor Karl Dean to attend, will be held at Sambuca (across 12th from the site) at 10:30 a.m.

Commission approves rezoning for Elliston Place project
https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/..._place_project

Quote:
The Metro Planning Commission on Thursday passed on consent Grace Developmentĺs request for a specific plan rezoning related to the proposed Grace at Elliston.

The Nashville-based company, which recently submitted site plan images (see top image below) to the Metro Planning Department hopes to develop an 18-story mixed-use building with 300 apartments on Elliston Place.

Grace has not yet announced a target date for groundbreaking.

Designed by Nashville-based Southeast Venture, Grace at Elliston will offer a six-story line building with a fašade of masonry stone, brick and glass. It will include apartments facing Elliston Place and about 13,000 square feet of retail space.

Two tower cranes now up on the Aertson Midtown project. Pic from ajs over on UP.

Last edited by MIRYDI; March 2nd, 2015 at 09:02 PM.
MIRYDI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 12:37 AM   #3366
ariesjow

Likes (Received): 63

A 24-story office tower is now planned for the lot directly across from West Riverfront Park and the new amphitheater under construction. No rendering available yet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...wn-office.html
ariesjow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:49 AM   #3367
IberiaCLT

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
A 24-story office tower is now planned for the lot directly across from West Riverfront Park and the new amphitheater under construction. No rendering available yet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...wn-office.html

Wonder if they would build Spec?
IberiaCLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:55 PM   #3368
wreynol4

It could possibly be a spec, but with all the demand we have if I was the developer I would push ahead to get things going asap as I think they could easily fill it.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 03:30 PM   #3369
wreynol4

If this 24 story spec tower is built that will be a great 4 block stretch in SoBro there with this, SoBro apartment tower, Encore and the Bridgestone. Hopefully the rendering will look pretty good and this thing will get going asap!
Old March 3rd, 2015, 08:06 PM   #3370
ariesjow

Likes (Received): 63

Spec is a possibility, but we already know at least two major businesses from the area are seeking new office space with Lifeway and Community Health Systems. I'm not really sure if CHS would be interested in relocating from the suburbs, but it has been reported that Lifeway is looking for new offices downtown & selling their massive downtown campus. I'm very curious to see how their campus is redeveloped since that's huge and contiguous amount of land downtown.
ariesjow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 11:11 PM   #3371
wreynol4

Just curious but why does MDHA have a 300 ft limit height on that piece of property? It looks like the commercial stories will only be 14 floors, 9 above ground parking stories and then street level retail. I was hoping this one would be closer to 30 stories, I think it could definitely be supported with all of the demand. Any way the number of stories is changed?

Tags
development, nashville, tennessee