daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Sporting Infrastructure and Events > The Touchline

The Touchline Sports

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 48

#World Cup Match Reports: Add your match experience here!!

A central place to add your World Cup reports for matches you attend.

I will add some I've seen, and quote the source of course!

Last edited by Mo Rush; June 15th, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Mo Rush

Annman's visual update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
France-Uruguay opener in Cape Town

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Mo Rush

From President Pule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
Peter Mokaba and Polokwane Report

City of Polokwane
- Very Clean and easy to manouvre in.
- Directions to Fan Parks and places of interest were clear.
- I saw the other side of this city and got amazed by it's beauty and the new developments taking place, I parked on what they called North Parking.

Transport
- Got there late and were directed were to park by friendly marshalls.
- We were driven in a Toyota Quantum and they didn't wait for it to get full. It seems like it was one taxi every 2 minutes or even less.
- Traffic officers were VERY helpful and there were plenty of them.
- No single pothole we came across, all roads seem to have been upgraded and the new bridge is a stunner.

Problems
- Only one, few buses and taxis were allocated to North Parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
We arrived just after half time, we got delayed in Jozi.

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Mo Rush

Budweiser. eew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksBoy View Post
Absoloutly agree with Leftfoot

Budweiser taste not nice.

Everything went well and I've awesome time there. Except there is hectic when travel back to Pavilion using park & ride after the game as i just got home at 1h30am. I wonder where is Shuttle too...

To Dennis, even German fan enjoy the vuvuzela

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Mo Rush

I paid R30 for a disgusting boerie roll. Dam FIFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftfoot View Post
It was an AWESOME experience at the game last night!

Getting there!
Such a breeze from Gateway, hopped on the minibus shuttle to the Transport Hub. We didn't have to wait at all.
We decided to get a people mover to the fan fest first but were a bit dissapointed that the people giving directions did not know what a people mover was nor how to catch one. I thought it should have been linked into the Transport hub....it wasnt and we ended up walking to the beach.

Fan Fest
Fan fest was awesome and had a really great vibe. Afterwards we made our way up the fan walk to the stadium stopping on the way to chat to some of the visitors. I particularly love some overheard comments from our overseas visitors when the stadium first came into view "best stadium in the world - German" "we have nothing even close to the scale and beauty of this stadium - Aussie"

Inside
We had seats in block 209, directly under the main scoreboard on the Northern end of the stadium. I was surprised at what a great view it was, after some comments here about it being too far from the action. I thought it was great!
One thing I did notice though was that we did not have speaker above us which resulted in muffled unclear audio (and that was when the earplugs were out :-))

Food and drink
I thought it may have been a little overprice but it was to be expected at this occasion. I scored when I was undercharged for ice-cream...2 for the price of 1, all good!!! Oh and Budweiser wasn't so hot.

Leaving
We asked directions to the buses to the transport hub at the workshop and got 3 different answers-
1 go to Umgeni road, they are all there
2 go to Suncoast and wait by the entrance
3 go to the swimming pool parking, loads of buses there
......in the end we ended up walking to the workshop. It was actually not too bad, great atmosphere with all the people celebrating.
I did notice some older people taking a breather and looking very frail.
About halfway down buses started loading people?!!?!? .... we were already halfway there.
At the transport hub we were though security pretty quickly although some people had lost there tickets and had to pay R10.
We stood patiently in the queue for about an hour and a half and saw about 5 buses load people. Disappointed, we left for the workshop and got an un-metered cab to Gateway for R180 (divided by 4)

All in all an Awesome experience......just the "leaving the stadium transport" need a serious re-look. Where were all those great mini buses that took us there?

Please excuse the mobile quality of these images.....
Fanfest

Fan walk

Awesom Approach (note....no arch lights, they ony came on just before the game)

Our CAT 4 seats....I thought they were great!

The new train station (after a few beers!)

The Transport hub

The first bus, after half an hour of waiting, we left and caught a un-metered taxi

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer View Post

Nelson Mandel Bay Match report. Wonderful images.

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Mo Rush

Percy at Soccer City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy07 View Post
Yesterday's game was fantastic, couldn't have asked for a better opener! The stadium erupted when Bafana scored, and celebrated for the next 5 minutes, ignoring play!
I thought we played really well, and could have won, but I'm happy with a draw. It's hard not to be greedy!
The ceremony didn't really do much for me, but I guess it's not really a contributing factor to a great World Cup.
Here are a few snap shots from yesterday.

Wits park and ride

They used Metrobus buses

Nasrec Station

The approach

P.S. You can see they have started grassing over the mine dump in the background

Entering the stadium

The atmosphere was festive, from the moment we entered.

About to start...

The opening ceremony:

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #8
Mo Rush

Facebook views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer View Post
People on Facebook were asked about their experience at the first PE game. Herewith the feedback (deleted names):

It was FAAAAAANTASTIC, NO incidents. Really wonderful...still feeling it. The Police were gr8! They were so strong and so proffessional! I feel 100% safe with them
Yesterday at 23:58

It was absolutely incredible! Wonderful in every way - the organisation was impecable, the security very vigilant, helpful and present (as well as pleasant). We never stood in a queue at all ... whe we spent our R10 for our RETURN trip in the R3.5 million BRT shuttle, the row had about 30 people in, which was immediately divided (at Kingsbeach ) and we were helped instantly! Every one of the thousands of volunteers was friendly, courteous and well informed. They could all direct you, the staff at the stadium was amazing – security was tight and even the riot police were in small battalions in various little groups – armed with Armadillo type armor and shields. Inside the stadium there were volunteers that spent their time only watching a specific area, we felt 1000% safe, and enjoyed the event tremendously! I am absolutely gobsmacked by the excellence with which every single aspect of this event has been handled. The branding, the welcoming spirit. Our international clients boasted so much good about the Fanpark at St Georges at opening night. NO FAULTS to be found – the longest queues were the Budweiser queue and that didn’t bother us at all.
14 hours ago

just watched the england vs. USA game in Rustenburg,and I'm completely disgusted. Waited for almost 2 hours for a shuttle,and eventually walked towards the ONE parking area,when we hopped on an overcrowded bus. Then took us an hour and a half to get out of Rustenburg because of the ONE exit out of town. I'm so disappointed, and tourists are complaining and walking the seven km's back to the parking area because there are NO buses or shuttles.
14 hours ago

Hubby and son went and they had such am awesome time. They both said the vibes were awesome and watching it no tv doesn't give you quarter me that south African feeling. They would certainly go to every game just to have that feeling. Well done south Africa for this momentous opportunity to show the rest me the world our lovely country.
13 hours ago

I will however say that thirty rand for a beer and twenty five rand for a can me coke was a rip off to say the least. That was a shockeR.
13 hours ago

We paid R15 for a coke/water and R20 large packet of chips/ ice cream or chocolate respectively. The high prices for beer must be taken into account that it is 1)Imported beer (in safe plastic containers); 2) discourages excessive drinking in public place. We wouldn't bat an eye to pay that in a restaurant, we shouldn't at a world class event. I'm not saying it right, but it is reasonable taking the ocasion in mind
13 hours ago

I was there! atm0sphere fantabul0us even th0ugh k0rea was resp0nsible p m0st 0f the festive vibe. Such warm, lively, vibrant pe0ple. 0ne wud swear that they were the h0sts. the prices of refreshmnts were 0vr th t0p, n0t c0nsidering students and th0se wu just happend 2 b f0rtun8 2 get a ticket. caps were rem0vd fr0m s0ft drinks c0z they d0nt want ... See more
13 hours ago

I was there today and indeed fantastic in all ways this city is doing well, no incidents, people are behaving having clean fun and feeling it all the way. The fanpark on friday was insane...yellow and green with the flag all over! Hope it stays this way, and unfortunate to hear about rustenburg.
13 hours ago

all said and done though, we had a good time,even if we did get home at 3 am... Without even a shabeen stop
11 hours ago

IT WAS FANTASTIC. I was seated amongst the Korean people. One incident- guy with his vuvuzela tortured a everyone with his blowing. He blew in their faces, ears, etc. But, i called security and they sorted him out. FOOD- pricey but no drunk people EXCELLENT. The Korean nationals are CRAZY AND SUPPORTIVE. One guy taught an elderly couple how to blow the vuvuzela and they were so funny. HIGHLIGHT – I was queuing at the tuck-shop, eavesdropped on a South African and Greece national. There were telling him about their travelling experience. Since touch down to the hotel and from hotel to stadium. They were amazed by the infrastructure, considering the bad press. As we walked up the road, another foreign couple accompanied a South African. They expressed the delight about the stadium. Commented on how beautiful it is and how much they loved the roof and its features. CONCLUSION – WE ROCK!!! PE ROCK!!!
7 hours ago

the vibe was fantabulous nd i really njoyed evry minute.. evrything was very well organised jst the beverages etc bein way 2 xpensive, bt frm plastic beer bottles 2 smoothly operating shuttles all well thought out. had a blast. PURE AYOBANESS SA
5 hours ago

It was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! Would encourage all South African's to make a point of getting to a game - even if you dont know anything about soccer - the atmosphere was electrifying. everything worked like a well oiled machine - never stood in q's was never squashed or bumped in anyway! Felt incredibly proud to be South African!!!
5 hours ago

The experience was awesome. The organisation and security great - I had no doubts about this before the game. The only problem was the beer; the price tag would have been fine if the beer didn't have that dishwash water aftertaste. SA beers rock, SA rocks, PE rocks!!! And I'm feeling it!!!
5 hours ago

Old June 14th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydude View Post
I was at the game today, I'l post pics later. First of all what I thought was good: The game itself was good, well done South Korea 2 - 0 winners. Next I felt that the searchs were good at the gate, and liked the fact that young children were tagged with parents cell numbers.

Sadly there were far more bad points: Security in the precinct was virtually none existent. I walked from Diaz Road to the stadium, and wasn't stopped until I got to the gate, very poor. I got inside at about 11:00, and none of the shops where open, unacceptable. Even when shops did open, not every stall had a shop, and some ran out of food. I won’t comment on the overpriced food and drinks, as I understand that those are controlled. When I tried to go to my seat, the steward tried to send me to the wrong place. I'm just glad that I know the stadium layout, and told him that he was wrong. The park and rides were dysfunctional at best. The busses and taxis didn't stop at their designated stops, and none of the taxis, or BRT busses had signs on to tell you where they were going. I specifically called the transport centre to ask about that, and they said that they would all have signs on them.

It was ultimately a very bad experience in terms of logistics. I feel that someone has messed up terrible, and I can only hope that you fix this up before the 2nd game on Tuesday!

Crickt attendence is great in PE, I think that you are confused on that point. The Warriors have the best attendence, at St Goerges Park, in local cricket. Also, PE's one ODI per year is virtually always sold out. Rugby has poor attendence, as EP play in the Currie Cup First Division (2nd league). PE hasn't hosted a test match in years, but the B& I Lions game had 35 000 people.

Last night I went onto teh FIFA.com site to check on tickets. Cat 4 was sold out, and cat 1,2,3 were listed as 'few tickets'. However, when I tried to buy tickets for the game, none were shown. I'm not sure what was happening, and if the game was sold out or not.

I know that PE did badly today, but I just hope that it can be fixed up. I also complained to the NMB 2010 directorate today. I've been bugging them for months, and one of the main people is finally e-mailing me about the problem, I just hope that something comes of it.
thanks crazydude from PE. I will be there 26 June!

Old June 14th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #10
Mo Rush

Received via e-mail. Don't mind forwarding it to anybody.

Quote:
But our experience with the park-and-ride and getting into town and back was flawless! We drove from Blouberg to Century City with no traffic whatsoever. Got to the park-and-ride at Ratanga Juntion, paid our R20 ($3) parking fee and found a parking bay easily. We walked to where the shuttles were, got onto one which took us swiftly to the station.

We walked through the station and down onto the platform. There was nobody checking any tickets, but if I remember correctly, the ticket office was open. We waited on the platform and at 17:48, the train arrived. The trip was great. It has been such a long time since I've taken the train. Got to Cape Town Station and although the platforms hadn't changed one bit (bedies the blue painted pillers), once we walked off the platform area and into the station itself, a huge transformation awaited us! I was stunned at the renovations and have been following it on SkyscraperCity for ages, but to see it in the flesh, was great.. So light and bright. With everybody in high spirits, walking through the station was a breeze. We walked along the new station square and onto the fan walk.

After the game, we went towards the MyCiTi station, but took the wrong turn and landed up in the road and could not get into the station. Not sure if it was me or the lack of proper signage that we didn't take the right ramp up to the station. We decided to walk back along the fan walk back to Cape Town Station, so I was not able to try out MyCiTi as yet.

When we arrived at Cape Town Station, we were not sure which platform we needed to be on. The electronic signboards were not showing any trains at that time. Although I saw the electronic boards with info on when we arrived, I didn't see any info when we left. It is as if the "extended schedule" was not on the system. We had to ask around which platform we needed to leave from. We got onto the packed train back to Century City. Although still a bit unsure that we were on the correct train, we arrived at the brightly lit station deck and knew we had arrived at the right station. The shuttle service was great. There were many shuttles which were able to ferry everybody back to the park-and-ride.

No hectic traffic congestion either and we were out there with ease and back home.

All in all, it felt like a knife through butter. Everything went smoothly and the experience on the transport side was great

Old June 15th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy07 View Post
Another awesome game at Soccer City! The Dutch just dominated the Danes!

Our Park and Ride bus had Dutch fans singing Holland chants all the way to the stadium, with an Argentinian fan dancing to them

Flood of fans going over the bridge

Orange everywhere!

Mixture of Dutch and Danish fans

About to start:

Holland's first goal!

Jubilant Dutch fans

Fans in constant celebration

Another impressive attendance, although probably a Third of the suites were empty.

Holland's second goal!

After the game we took the BRT into Soweto to watch the Japan vs Cameroon game.
Excuse the quality I had run out of camera memory and used my blackberry onwards.

Celebrating victory

BRT lines moving swiftly

Soccer City from inside the station

We found this tiny bar on the way to Vilikazi street, and were convinced by the friendly owner, Martin, to watch the game there

Literally seats about 10 people with a huge fridge taking up 1/4 of the room.

During the game, a local celebrity joined us. (Not sure of his name, but he's in a few TV adverts)

That was my first time in Soweto, and it was a great experience.
We tried to have dinner at a restaurant on Vilikazi, but they had run out of most of the menu items, so after a couple of drinks we headed back to Joburg.
Sure to be back soon though!
Netherlands vs. Denmark

Old June 15th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #12
Asal

Likes (Received): 0

Tue Jun 15 11:20AM
FIFA ejected 36 female Netherlands fans from their World Cup match with Denmark for wearing an orange mini-dress designed by a beer company.
The dresses were made by Bavaria beer and despite the outfits containing no branding, the organisers said it was against their rules on "ambush marketing".
"It's a nice dress. Very fashionable. In my opinion, people should have the right to wear whatever they want," Peer Swinkels, from Bavaria beer, told South African newspaper The Star.
"We launched the orange item on April 30 on the Queen's birthday, which we call Queen's Day. The Dutch people are a little crazy about orange and we wear it on public holidays and events like the World Cup."

Barbara Kastein, who was wearing the dress, explained what happened: "We were sitting near the front, making a lot of noise, and the cameras kept focusing on us. We were singing songs and having a good time.
"In the second half, about 40 stewards surrounded us and forced us to leave the stadium. They pushed us up the stairs, and one of the girls fell.
"The police came and kept on asking us the same questions over and over, asking if we worked for Bavaria. They said we were ambush-marketing and it was against the law in South Africa. They said we would be arrested and would stay in jail for six months. Girls were crying. It was bad."
After a few hours questioning all the girls were released although Kastein said that the police took a copy of her passport and told her they would investigate the matter further.
A few flags were also confiscated during the Group E match at Soccer City as part of FIFA's plan to protect its World Cup brands.

FIFA also removed flags emblazoned with company logos during Sunday's Group D match between Ghana and Serbia at the Loftus Versfeld Stadium in Pretoria.
"In fact there were mass ambush activities by one company from Ghana during the match and as per the regulations the FIFA Rights Protection team had to collect a few flags carrying heavy commercial branding," FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot said.
"Most other flags where the branding was only very small were not taken away."
In April, Kulula, a local low-cost airline known for humorous advertisements, agreed to withdraw its tongue-in-cheek billboards after a legal letter from FIFA which was given wide media coverage.
The advertisement called Kulula the unofficial carrier of the "You-know-what" and showed footballs, vuvuzela trumpets and football players.
FIFA makes most of its money, which has to last until the next World Cup in four years time, from television rights and deals with commercial sponsors.
More than 60 per cent of FIFA's 2007-2010 revenue of £2.17 billion comes from TV rights and about 30 per cent from commercial marketing.
Eurosport / Reuters

1. Just goes to show - it's not about the football - it's about the money, stupid.

From evansemporium on Tue Jun 15 12:23PM Report abuse
  2. F**K that surround the Tw8ts with the vuvuzelas and eject them....

From samboseley on Tue Jun 15 12:30PM Report abuse
  3. Under FIFA rules, should spammers offering supposedly free iPads etc be banned from news items about the World Cup?

From timfootman on Tue Jun 15 12:35PM Report abuse
  4. Under FIFA rules, should spammers offering supposedly free iPads etc be banned from news items about the World Cup?

From timfootman on Tue Jun 15 12:35PM Report abuse
  5. Up with mini skirts..that's what I say !!
    A lot more pleasant on the eye than the bloody football!!

From fairclough55 on Tue Jun 15 12:39PM Report abuse
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/.../article/9312/
Asal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #13
Mo Rush

[QUOTE=Project Director;58687743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftfoot View Post
It was an AWESOME experience at the game last night!

Getting there!
Such a breeze from Gateway, hopped on the minibus shuttle to the Transport Hub. We didn't have to wait at all.
We decided to get a people mover to the fan fest first but were a bit dissapointed that the people giving directions did not know what a people mover was nor how to catch one. I thought it should have been linked into the Transport hub....it wasnt and we ended up walking to the beach.

Fan Fest
Fan fest was awesome and had a really great vibe. Afterwards we made our way up the fan walk to the stadium stopping on the way to chat to some of the visitors. I particularly love some overheard comments from our overseas visitors when the stadium first came into view "best stadium in the world - German" "we have nothing even close to the scale and beauty of this stadium - Aussie"

Inside
We had seats in block 209, directly under the main scoreboard on the Northern end of the stadium. I was surprised at what a great view it was, after some comments here about it being too far from the action. I thought it was great!
One thing I did notice though was that we did not have speaker above us which resulted in muffled unclear audio (and that was when the earplugs were out :-))

Food and drink
I thought it may have been a little overprice but it was to be expected at this occasion. I scored when I was undercharged for ice-cream...2 for the price of 1, all good!!! Oh and Budweiser wasn't so hot.

Leaving
We asked directions to the buses to the transport hub at the workshop and got 3 different answers-
1 go to Umgeni road, they are all there
2 go to Suncoast and wait by the entrance
3 go to the swimming pool parking, loads of buses there
......in the end we ended up walking to the workshop. It was actually not too bad, great atmosphere with all the people celebrating.
I did notice some older people taking a breather and looking very frail.
About halfway down buses started loading people?!!?!? .... we were already halfway there.
At the transport hub we were though security pretty quickly although some people had lost there tickets and had to pay R10.
We stood patiently in the queue for about an hour and a half and saw about 5 buses load people. Disappointed, we left for the workshop and got an un-metered cab to Gateway for R180 (divided by 4)

All in all an Awesome experience......just the "leaving the stadium transport" need a serious re-look. Where were all those great mini buses that took us there?

great info, i`ll follow your yourney sounds like the plan to have...THIS BUDS FOR ...
Project Director's experience

Old June 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #14
Mo Rush

Caisson Boy on Century City Park and Ride (Rail)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caisson Boy View Post
Yeah, I just rocked up there. That parking area is HUGE, because it is Ratanga Junction's, adjacent to Virgin Active's. Tickets are R20 and they stay open till 02:00 a.m.

There are really cool and helpful pocket guides on public transport, which show the relevant transport maps (train, bus, shuttle, MyCiti), all park and rides, fan jols, everything. Very cool.

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #15
kmvdb

Likes (Received): 0

i think those women got kicked out cos it had something to do with this as well

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz...6908-22334202/
kmvdb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:12 PM   #16
Project Director
RSA,Vietnam,Q8,DRC,Auz.

Likes (Received): 3

GHANA V URUGUAY