daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM   #2381
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 6593

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTarantino View Post
This is your opinion, the city of London has some of the most elegant skyscrapers in the world. Dubai and Middle eastern clusters are kitsch, do you know the difference?
First of all, not all Dubai skyscrapers are kitsch and certainly not all Middle East skylines are kitsch. Take Doha or Kuwait City for example, there is nothing kitsch about their towers. These skylines are beautiful and blow many cities, including London, out of the water. Yes, Dubai does have plenty of kitschy towers mainly on that main road near the Burj so I can agree on calling this skyline kitsch to a certain extent. We have to keep in mind that what looks kitsch to western eyes may not be the same for other parts of the word. Maybe people in the Middle East and Asia consider the new towers in London and the West as kitsch. I certainly do, and I am a Westerner.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old Yesterday, 06:25 AM   #2382
WingWing

Likes (Received): 2332

I am Asian and consider dubai skyline as kitsch
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #2383
Pals_RGB
u刀尺乇gノ丂イ乇尺乇d

Likes (Received): 4257

My freind who is Asian considers Singapore skyline as Kitsch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pals_RGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #2384
TomásGC

Likes (Received): 11

Yes, a little bit kitsch, indeed...
TomásGC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #2385
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
What do you think of LA's skyline? I think it doesn't get a fair shake. People expect something bigger for a city that size but it's still quite good imo.

Nice try. I'm from London so talking about a city I've spent many many years in. Canary Wharf is beautiful. I quite like one of London's first office towers (NatWest) and the Shard is beautiful. Those gimmicky designs like the Gherkin, Cheese Grater, and Walkie Talkie are tacky and I'm hardly the only person that thinks so. And a giant ferris wheel downtown? I expect that sort of thing in Vegas or a theme park not London.

London would do well to steer clear of novelty and move towards classic designs. Thankfully that seems to be happening.

And how much time have you actually spent in Toronto (or are you talking about a place you know next to nothing about)? I suppose you're referring to modernist boxes by Mies and IM Pei? I'd take those over almost anything else. There's a reason why they're studied in architecture school. They might not be showy but those buildings will stand the test of time. I suppose there will almost be people attracted to the vulgarity of the Kardashians over the timelessly of Audrey Hepburn.
I know that post was in response to someone else however I would like to reply.

First off, London is unique in that it can entertain so many architectural styles and still look amazing. That is because it has had so many architectural styles and makes Toronto look like a kid in terms history. It's pretty amazing walking around the city and if you are from London (un sure) you should see that quite easily.

London, old and new by d0gwalker, on Flickr

Second - I've been Toronto - was going to move to Toronto and still plan to Live in Toronto at some point. However, the architectural quality is still far below London.

I'm enjoying the growth of both cities. However, you do seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to London. It seems you don't like the thought of a city without a historical preference towards building tall actually well ... building tall.

The Gherkin isn't tacky. Neither is Leadenhall or Fenchurch Street, They are designed by the worlds best architects and will create a much more interesting skyline than the current bland boxes littering the Toronto skyline in years to come.

The London Eye, Swiss RE, The Shard - People can identify those with London easily.

What has Toronto got apart from the CN Tower??

In that regards, when it comes to bulk Toronto may be in front but when it comes to singular towers and being able to identify them due to their design London trumps Toronto hands down.

Another 237m tower was proposed yesterday for London. Another tower which also asthetically trumps most things being proposed in Toronto of similar height.

taskula liked this post

Last edited by Birmingham; Yesterday at 12:01 PM.
Birmingham está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #2386
WingWing

Likes (Received): 2332

Wow create new account to reply ownself? Lol
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM   #2387
kisssme

Likes (Received): 300

Paris by 2025 without the twins supertalls (Hermitage Plaza) but with Phare Tower (297m)
+ Hekla (230m)

taskula, JuanPaulo liked this post
kisssme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #2388
Faisal Shourov

Likes (Received): 3626

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTarantino View Post
This is your opinion, the city of London has some of the most elegant skyscrapers in the world. Dubai and Middle eastern clusters are kitsch, do you know the difference?
Doha skyline >>>>>>>>>>>>> London skyline

Have a look at Doha skyline before making ignorant comments!
Faisal Shourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #2389
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 469

I wouldn't exactly call London's skyline "elegant" but at the same time it's not kitsch. My main problem is that the placement of the Shard, which makes it look ridiculously out of place. Otherwise it's an interesting (in a good way) skyline.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #2390
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 6593

My issue with the London skyline is that while "most" of the buildings are great individually, they do not go well together. The Shard and the Leadenhall towers are amazing. On the other hand, Swiss RE and the walkie-talkie are not my cup of tea. Their shapes do not go well with the architecture around them.
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #2391
beaniepotato
バカ外人

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal Shourov View Post
Doha skyline >>>>>>>>>>>>> London skyline

Have a look at Doha skyline before making ignorant comments!
How about we all first learn the concept of opinions before making ignorant comments?

Anyway, I think the London City skyline is great. I was very impressed when seeing it in person. However, I also think the Shard is too far away from the main cluster, and I also believe that it lacks a bit of density. Individually, I love the towers in London City, but as a skyline, I actually prefer Canary Wharf.
beaniepotato está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:53 AM   #2392
Zack Fair
Yavin 4

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
I know that post was in response to someone else however I would like to reply.

First off, London is unique in that it can entertain so many architectural styles and still look amazing. That is because it has had so many architectural styles and makes Toronto look like a kid in terms history. It's pretty amazing walking around the city and if you are from London (un sure) you should see that quite easily.
Well, I think that has something to do with the fact that London is 2000 years older than Toronto.

Quote:
What has Toronto got apart from the CN Tower??
You mean apart from the tallest free-standing structure in the Western hemisphere? We also have a bunch of International Style buildings designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, maybe the name sounds familiar. Right next to them we have FCP by B+H Architects (ring a bell?). There's also a condo tower by a certain Libeskind, a supertall approved waiting to start construction designed by some unknown guys (Mirvish and Gehry), another supertall in the pipeline from dude named Foster.

Yup, Toronto definitely has nothing else than just the CN Tower.

Quote:
Another 237m tower was proposed yesterday for London. Another tower which also asthetically trumps most things being proposed in Toronto of similar height.
Did you checked the "Toronto Projects & Construction" thread lately? Just saying.

Last edited by Zack Fair; Today at 04:58 AM.
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:23 AM   #2393
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 4410

While I agree that older architecture or even modern buildings in old style can add a lot to a skyline, they do that on the ground level or mid rise level. Some buildings with tall spires might add 150m buildings into the mix, but that's about it. So these buildings add a lot of context to a skyline, but don't add much to the skyline itself. A good skyline can be made better, but cannot rise to another level with good context in my opinion. London, compared to other cities worldwide falls back in the density and height aspect and the context of nice surrounding architecture cannot save that. Talking globally of course, compared to other european cities it wins against all the cities that believe building taller than 150m ruins their cityscape.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
skyline