daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2015, 11:28 AM   #81
lancetop

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan-Afro-Man View Post
Fayetteville NC

Its along I-95

Next to the largest US Army base

Large River runs through it

Large HBCU and community college plus a thriving unc affiliate university just 30 minutes away

Very diverse population unlike most southern cities

But very similar to small town southern cities with all the damn retard NIMBYs that hate growth and funding mass transit.

Metro Population almost 390k
Unfortunately Fayetteville is also saddled with a reputation for high crime.
lancetop no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 25th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #82
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetop View Post
Throughout the US, state capitols are generally booming....and many of them have easily become the premier city in their state. (or are in the process of becoming such)

examples: Indianapolis, Columbus, Nashville, Oklahoma City, Atlanta....

But Columbia, Tallahassee, and Raleigh seemed to have been left in the dust. For some reason I keep thinking Columbia would top this list, if I were compiling this sort of thing.

A quick read on Columbia shows it to be a progressive city....a good city with lots going for it----so I don't quite understand why Greenville and Charleston (and even Myrtle Beach) get so much attention.

Of course Raleigh has a large/significant sister city that dilutes Raleigh's development, and Raleigh is indeed growing. But still, North Carolina is now a mega-state. Seems like it's capitol city's downtown and urban fabric would be kicking major ass.

Poor Tallahassee got pushed aside decades ago. (and oddly enough, I've spent a little time there, and I think it's one of Florida's nicest cities)
Raleigh "left in the dust"? It's one of the fastest-growing cities in the nation and development is booming downtown.

I wouldn't think that the capital city necessarily needs to be the largest/most prominent city in each state. The capital's purpose is government, so it doesn't HAVE to be the commercial or population capital too in order to be effective - though it sometimes is all three. There are only a few examples of the largest city being the state capital...I think it more often isn't.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 04:52 AM   #83
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ View Post

For skylines, I've always been disappointed with Raleigh. I know it has the big sis to the south and the Triad to the west, but still.... it has enough clout/influence and wealth to have more than it does.
Give Raleigh just a couple of years and it will be more inline with it's size and prominence. There is a building boom happening there that will change the skyline.

The main reasons that Raleigh has had a disappointing skyline are the existence of RTP and Durham/Chapel Hill. Raleigh is multi-nodal, causing development to be distributed throughout downtown RTP, Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. It dilutes each city's skyline.

JRQ liked this post
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2015, 04:03 AM   #84
krazeeboi

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancetop View Post
A quick read on Columbia shows it to be a progressive city....a good city with lots going for it----so I don't quite understand why Greenville and Charleston (and even Myrtle Beach) get so much attention.
Yeah it's pretty progressive for a midsized Southern city with a lot going for it indeed. Charleston and Myrtle Beach get attention for being tourist hotspots on the coast. Greenville has done a very good job in promoting itself, particularly in combination with the ongoing revitalization of its downtown and its location in the foothills which make for easy trips to the Blue Ridge mountains. Columbia needs to do the same in terms of touting its advantages for the sake of more exposure.

Tags
columbia