SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Motorway openings around the world

1M views 3K replies 182 participants last post by  General Huo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Let's post every motorway/freeway- and expressway opening that happens in the world in this thread. But keep it simple, just basic information, no pictures please (you can see them in their respective threads).

So, yesterday (UTC) they opened the Polish A2 motorway between Nowy Tomyśl and the German border, as well as a motorway in Bosnia and Herzegovina/Republic of Srpska between Banja Luka and the Croatian border. :cheers:

rules:

No photos
No discussion

Openings to be reported in this thread;

* full standard motorways or local equivalent
* two-lane expressways that are part of the main network (i.e. droga ekspresowa, supercarreteras or Japanese two-lane expressways)
* second carriageway openings
* motorway-standard roads not part of the main network (i.e. Voie express, Gelbe Autobahn, Superstrada, etc.)

If you want to discuss opening events, click the multi-quote button next to the regular quote button and post it in the revelant thread.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I changed the scope of this topic to the world to keep H & A from getting to euro-centric.

1 December 2011

2 kilometers of E20 fly-overs in Göteborg, Sweden.

29 November 2011:

37 kilometers of A1 in Algeria between Larbaâtache and Lakhdaria, east of Algiers.

28 November 2011:

5 kilometers of Vysočanská radiála in Prague, Czech Republic

28 November 2011:

8 kilometers of S11 west of Poznań, Poland

27 November 2011:

96 kilometers of the Southern Expressway, also known as E01 in Sri Lanka, the country's first limited-access highway.

#12 ·
A sprinkling of motorway information from Down Under:

Hume Hwy (A31) NSW, Tarcutta and Woomargama Bypasses opened during November 2011

Pacifc Hwy (A1) NSW Eungai-Fredrickton section, 26km duplication, to start 2012

Hunter Expressway NSW, Newcastle-Branxton, 40km new freeway, to open 2013

Brisbane Queensland, Mains/Kessels Rds, major suburban intersection upgrade to start Jan 2012 (not a freeway technically but near enough to Pacifc Mwy)

Sydenham Victoria, Calder Fwy (M79)/Kings Rd intersection upgrade to open before Christmas

Geelong Ring Road (M1 west) Victoria, Stage 4A, 2km new freeway, opening very soon

Goulburn Valley Fwy (M39) Victoria, Nagambie Bypass, 3 km northern section, opened 29 November, the main section of the bypass to open during 2012

#21 ·
It's official: A1 Arad - Timisoara (32 km - full profile) and A1 Arad bypass (12 km - half profile) were opened this morning in Romania.

#25 ·
@Chris and/or Verso: I have a proposal. Can you edit the first post in such a way that all opening will be stated there, under the following format:

[country A]
- 1 December 2011: motorway A - B (Y km)
- 15 December 20111: X bypass (Y km)
etc..

[country B]
It would be easier to track all the openings. The rest of the users will continue to post the openings in this thread, and you will just have to edit a little bit the first post from time to time.