search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Western Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2017, 07:36 PM   #14661
big city vision

Likes (Received): 90

Projects & Discussions | Perth Waterfront | Urban Renewal

Yep. Not too many high rise at the quay. Need lower structures. As mentioned an indigenous museum will be good or something that connects historically and culturally. And then area for an open space. I don't see how too many high rise will work as the quay is not that wide and will feel really boxed in.
big city vision no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2017, 09:15 PM   #14662
Dilaz89

Likes (Received): 3358

I don't think it really makes a difference if a building is 12 storeys of 50 storeys, so long as the design is good. The tallest proposal so far (180m) will have the biggest positive impact on the Quay in terms of providing the city with a much needed attraction.

nazor, Kelli, Urbania liked this post
Dilaz89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 10:23 PM   #14663
Melbcity

Likes (Received): 392

I would box it in.

Lots of restaurants at ground level, lots of apartments/hotel rooms above them (this will help activation). Light up the whole quay at night (trial the LED thing they were talking about a year back).

Having area's for events is fine, but what about the other times of the year, also there is still plenty of open area around the quay including Langley Park, which is only a short walk down the road, you could have events at Langley park and people can spread between the event and going to EQ.

It's funny how people laughed at the grass keepers but some are now saying lets keep some grass and limit sizes etc. It's the city, nothing wrong with buildings in a city.
Old February 21st, 2017, 11:31 PM   #14664
gumnut

Likes (Received): 99

Jan Gehl has just uttered words which many people have been too scared to say "Perth Water is a dead zone". Let the fantasies begin.
gumnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM   #14665
Jet380

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighgateJohnny View Post
Renowned urban planner Jan Gehl says Perth could be ‘new Melbourne’

Improvements, including two-way traffic in previously one-way streets
Fair enough for the other bits, but has this really improved anything? Barrack St is now such a mess that it's faster to walk along it than to drive or take a bus.
Jet380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM   #14666
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

Likes (Received): 1388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet380 View Post
Fair enough for the other bits, but has this really improved anything? Barrack St is now such a mess that it's faster to walk along it than to drive or take a bus.
You say that as though it wasn't the point?

Urbicus liked this post
desperaterobots no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:55 AM   #14667
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

Re: keeping open space for events, the original Labor proposal did have an empty lot plonked north of the inlet for events and so on, right? It's always been a good idea

Did Fringe do anything down at EQ this year? I remember the little fairground vibe last year was really awesome but I haven't been down to EQ since it opened.
Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM   #14668
Kelli
Environmental Busybody

Likes (Received): 5583

It's all about the street level interface of buildings, not the buildings themselves. Feel dirty stating something so obvious, but when you look at St Georges Tce, it's like a ground level wasteland with the sterile foyers. Just have to look at that, and then do the opposite. Not sure why it's so hard.
Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM   #14669
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

Setbacks are also weird.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM   #14670
tea and beer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandermast View Post
Perth needs more high rise to develop critical mass of people and architecture, not less

Photo taken by me in Melbourne in December

What an arsehole. What is he on about ?
I think he's coming at this from a "Copenhagen" sort of viewpoint. Copenhagen has a similar population to Perth and is the best designed city that I have ever been to, yet it has no high rise at all. However, its urban form within a 10km radius of the city is completely made up of mid rise buildings (say 6-8 storeys) which gives it the required density for a vibrant city.

Perth will not achieve anything close to this form for a very long time, the planning history just isn't there to support it. So to encourage that density we need to put in these bigger developments, leading to a very different sort of cityscape. Not necessarily bad, just different.
tea and beer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM   #14671
eugenius

Location: Melbourne / Perth / Mackay / Coventry / Sheffield / Brussels / Birkenhead
Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperaterobots View Post
Did Fringe do anything down at EQ this year? I remember the little fairground vibe last year was really awesome but I haven't been down to EQ since it opened.
They were meant to - a "Royal Croquet Club" event was planned with bars (like Bar Pop), live music etc. Cancelled at the last minute (it was still listed in the printed guides / in the PDF downloadable from the Fringe website,(they have had a similar event for several years in Melb, and are at the Adeliade Fringe right now!). Lineup included Aston Shuffle, Hayden James, KLP, Jarryd James.
eugenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM   #14672
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenius View Post
They were meant to - a "Royal Croquet Club" event was planned with bars (like Bar Pop), live music etc. Cancelled at the last minute (it was still listed in the printed guides / in the PDF downloadable from the Fringe website,(they have had a similar event for several years in Melb, and are at the Adeliade Fringe right now!). Lineup included Aston Shuffle, Hayden James, KLP, Jarryd James.
Shame - wonder what happened!
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM   #14673
waustralia
Registered One.

Likes (Received): 5

Those artists have since performed at Noodle Palace. No idea why they shifted the location. Perhaps Embargo/Pineapple Club would've clashed with the schedule.
waustralia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane, mandurahboyz, perth, quay, waterfront towers