search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala > Kollam

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 7th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #1061
navjot
Proud to be an Indian

Likes (Received): 1087

ksrtc services from kollam

it is sad that kollam,one of the most important cities in kerala , has only a very few super fast schedules to its name.......there are no long distance super fast services from kollam.......but smaller towns like kayamkulam have a lot of long distance services operating from the ksrtc depot there...................With the renovation of punalur kottavasal stretch of nh 208...ksrtc could operate more interstate services to madurai and tirunelveli.a daily bus to chennai and nagore via nh 208, is also feasible
navjot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #1062
jaleelmalik
Trivandrum Tiger

Likes (Received): 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging_Quilon View Post
This road is in a dilapidated condition due to sea wave attacks. The effort is commendable to revive the coastal raod which may change the Kollam - Paravoor stretch into a Tourism Corridor in future with more resorts in the Kollam - Paravoor - Varkala stretch. A snap of the coastal road in the Kollam - Varkala stretch:

[IMG]http://i41.************/mj1vg9.jpg[/IMG]

Pic courtesy - Manoj
Quilonjee, please also post the picture thats shows the sea on one side and the backwaters on the otherside of the road. If possible, also include a train that passes across the backwater. Such a scene is very rare in Kerala.
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1063
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 34

Expect minimum 5 years, if not more for the gauge converison of Punalur-Shencottah which is a ghat section with several tunnels. Kollam-Punalur stretch is comparatively cakewalk as it is on midlands, with no major bridges too. I am not sure how long it will take to construct the bridge across Kallada River at Punalur town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navjot View Post
i hope the punalur-sengottai stretch doesnt have to suffer the same fate n that the conversion in this stretch takes place at brisk pace.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #1064
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
bad news that we have to wait till feb 2010 for seeing a bg train b/w kollam n punalur...taking 3 years to complete conversion of a mere 45 km stretch.....this shows the lack of responsibility of the govt and the authorities.....i hope the punalur-sengottai stretch doesnt have to suffer the same fate n that the conversion in this stretch takes place at brisk pace.......moreover stations like kottarakkara kundara etc are yet to be upgraded to bg ststus.....moreover more amenites have to be developed in these stations as the crowd may increase
Navjot, I agree with your points. It is total negligence and cold storage attitude by the authorities that has delayed the commissioning. The mere 45 KMs stretch could have been completed in just 6 months. It should have been comparitively easier than a new line laying itself. There is the old MG line, and the land acquisition and construction of overbridges and approach roads were the other works. Instead of completing the works, there were arguments with the state governement as well land aquisition related issues, all put together delayed this most important railway project of Kollam district for almost 3 years. We are not sure when this will get completed.

There is no excuse for the authorities if they could not finish this work within this year. I stongly believe the people of Kollam should come forward and protest against this negligence and lack of responsibily of the authorities.

As you have mentioned, the important railway stations in this stretch like Kundara and Kottarakkara should be provided with proper infrastructure and amenities like any other BG status station. The platform length, rest room facilities and reservation centres should be improved. Since Kilikollur station is at Karicode in the city with lot of educational institutions around, the station should have more facilities and importance and can be renamed as Kollam East station.
Emerging_Quilon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #1065
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Quote:
it is sad that kollam,one of the most important cities in kerala , has only a very few super fast schedules to its name.......there are no long distance super fast services from kollam.......but smaller towns like kayamkulam have a lot of long distance services operating from the ksrtc depot there...................With the renovation of punalur kottavasal stretch of nh 208...ksrtc could operate more interstate services to madurai and tirunelveli.a daily bus to chennai and nagore via nh 208, is also feasible
You are correct. There are very few long trip buses from Kollam KSRTC bus stand to distant destinations, while there are a lot of long distance buses from Kottarakkara KSRTC bus stand (the biggest KSRTC bus stand in Kerala area wise.) I believe for the authorities the long distance trip from Kollam ends up at Thrissur as there are a couple of services to Trissur that start from Kollam.

It is good (thanks to Balakrishna Pillai and Ganesh Kumar) at least there are enough buses from Kottarakkara to distant locations.

Kollam KSRTC Bus Station:

[IMG]http://i41.************/2uz8n4y.jpg[/IMG]

A snap of Kottarkara KSRTC Bus Station:

[IMG]http://i42.************/axecup.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Emerging_Quilon; June 8th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1066
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaleelmalik View Post
Quilonjee, please also post the picture thats shows the sea on one side and the backwaters on the otherside of the road. If possible, also include a train that passes across the backwater. Such a scene is very rare in Kerala.
Jaleel Bhai, I think you are mentioning about the Paravur section. Right? I think there are a couple of snaps in the Kollam backwaters thread.

Here are a couple of snaps which may come close to your expectation:

[IMG]http://i39.************/dpzbs8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.************/35lryj8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i42.************/2v26wkj.jpg[/IMG]

Picture Courtesy - Suresh

Last edited by Emerging_Quilon; June 8th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #1067
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 7957

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
Expect minimum 5 years, if not more for the gauge converison of Punalur-Shencottah which is a ghat section with several tunnels. Kollam-Punalur stretch is comparatively cakewalk as it is on midlands, with no major bridges too. I am not sure how long it will take to construct the bridge across Kallada River at Punalur town.
Sudheesh, they are planning to lay the BG track in the same MG stretch except deviating a few locations. The existing tunnels and bridges will be retained and strengthened if it is possible as per the railway officials. No clear information regarding how it is done.

There was a proposal to retain the MG line from Punalur to Schencotta as a heritage hill railway type route like that in Nilgris, Darjling and Shimla. But then the cost of the new BG route will be a whopping amount.

I do not know what happend to that idea. I personally feel atleast some stretch of the MG section should be retained especially from Thenmala to Scehncotta. It will be a great attraction and cynosure for the tourists who come to Thenmala, Kuttalam and Palaruvi destinations.
Reghu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #1068
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Taj Mahal of Kollam - Sheikh Mazjid at Karunagappally Kollam

This magnificent mazjid at Karunagapally resembles the famous Taj Mahal in Agra

[IMG]http://i43.************/zlxg6u.jpg[/IMG]

At night:

[IMG]http://i42.************/iml990.jpg[/IMG]

A close snap:

Picture Courtesy: Hasheem Hameed and Elayidom
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #1069
sudheeshnairs

Please do not assume that the proposal was to retain the Metre gauge and construct a new BG line. The idea was to leave the Punalur-Shencottah line as such, on the pretext of heritage, but the real reason was the huge cost for BG conversion it needs, even with the existing tunnels and bridges. Later because of objections on the ground that the ease of connectivity will be lost, that idea was shelved. Otherwise one would have to get down at Punalur by BG train, take another MG train to Shencottah and from there again take a BG to go further via Tenkasi.

There was an active southern railway discussions forum (a link in SR website) some time back, some active members there are now in SSC also.
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1070
sudheeshnairs

I would like to advise to have a little control when using adjectives. I too have heard many times about Kottarakkara being the largest KSRTC bus stand, but only from those in Kottarakara, Punalur and Kollam, including my relatives. I cannot understand how it becomes the largest! Yes, it has a comparatively wide yard to park the buses, I didn't see anything more than that. A station becomes big when it operates the max services, has the largest fleet, handles the largest number of passengers etc.

Everybody knows that KSRTC bus stations are bad and poorly maintained. But I would always refrain from posting something along with a 'comment' which is contradictory or which may make others who are seing it for the first time to laugh. See the photo you had posted, for me it appears nothing other than a simple concrete yard with few dilapidated, battered and worn out tin boxes which we call 'buses' (all local buses, not even a long distance one in that pic) and a few jaywalking rural folks. (BTW I am much familiar about Kottarakkara bus station, my cousin owns a business, the 'National Photo Store' which is housed a few metres from it).

Some positive signs are there by which we are seing some developments under BOT for some of the bus stations in Kerala. I think work on Kozhikode has already started. TVM Central station also is in the cards. Kannur has already a modern bus station, (not KSRTC) which has been developed under BOT. Kottarakkara is nowhere in the picture.

Quote:
while there are a lot of long distance buses from Kottarakkara KSRTC bus stand (the biggest KSRTC bus stand in Kerala.)

A snap of Kottarkara KSRTC Bus Station:

[IMG]http://i42.************/axecup.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 8th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #1071
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Mixed responses for the Airstrip proposal at Aashramam Maidan

[IMG]http://i40.************/2zpv5na.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i42.************/2rdg1p4.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 8th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #1072
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Titanium Sponge Factory to acquire 300 acres near KMML

Quote:
Titanium sponge plant to come up in Kollam

State government-owned Kerala State Industrial Development Corporation Ltd has chalked out a plan to set up a titanium complex consisting of a 10,000-tpa titanium sponge plant, titanium metal, alloy components and downstream products.

The project will come up on land adjacent to an existing factory of Kerala Minerals and Metals Ltd at Chavara in Kollam district.

KSIDC recently invited expressions of interest from companies for associating with the Kerala government as a strategic partner. The government will hold a minimum 26 per cent stake in this project.

Karma Chandran, GM and in-charge of the project, could not give the exact cost as it was the first such mega titanium project in the country. However, he said that a project of this size may cost anywhere between Rs 1,000 crore to Rs 1,500 crore.

Titanium tetrachloride, the raw material for sponge, would be arranged by KSIDC at market price from Kerala Minerals and Metals Ltd, a state-owned company. The government will arrange infrastructure facilities such as land, power and water, and will facilitate regulatory clearances, Chandran added.

It may be noted that KMML was in the process of setting up a 500-tpa titanium sponge plant on 15 acres at Chavara in Kollam district. This project is being implemented in collaboration with Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre at a cost of Rs 95 crore, funded by VSSC since the end-product is meant for them. "The project is progressing as per plan and is scheduled for completion by this year-end," the KSIDC official said.

Titanium, known for its excellent corrosion resistance, high strength and low density, is widely used for aero-engine and airframe structures in both civilian and military aircraft. Titanium-alloy components also find applications in satellite launch vehicles, rockets and missiles. Titanium is extracted in the form of titanium sponge from its oxide minerals through magnesium reduction of its chloride intermediate. However, the sponge production process is complex and cumbersome. Technical knowhow for the production of titanium sponge has so far been available with a select group of developed countries comprising Japan, USA, CIS, UK and China. As of now, India's total titanium requirement is being met by imports even though it possesses a large reserve base of titanium minerals.

The KSDIC official pointed out that Kerala was the only state with possibilities of setting up titanium projects, besides Tamil Nadu where a similar project was stalled recently due to protests from locals. "From beach sand Ilmenite is produced and from Ilmenite titanium tetrachloride (TT) is produced and finally from TT downstream products such as titanium sponge can be produced," the official explained, adding that these special products found application in aerospace and aviation industry

Courtesy - Project Monitor
The government has decided to acquire 300 acres of land near the TS canal banks for the upcoming Titanium Sponge factory at Chavara. The factory is coming up very near to the KMML complex premises.

[IMG]http://i40.************/2lwary8.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #1073
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reghu View Post
[IMG]http://i40.************/2zpv5na.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i42.************/2rdg1p4.jpg[/IMG]
There is a furore for any development activities in Kollam. I do not think the air strip will create any hindrance for the Kollam Pooram (that happens only once in a year.) That day can be decalared a holiday for the Aviation Academy as well. The air strip is a good initiative for more development projects arrival in Kollam. Once the air strip becomes a reality, Kollam will get more strategic and importance in the aviation map which may lead to the incoming of more projects in different parts of the district.

The same uproar and furore happend with the Kollam Port when the idea was initiated. When most of the other cities are dreaming to have these kind of projects but lack of space is their crunch issue we are spoiling our chances of development though we have the space and natural gifts. A city cannot develop if the local people behave like this.

The TS canal rehabilitation is yet another example in this regard. There seems some kind of protest against the Kollam Techno Park taking electricity form the Kundara feeder.

All these shows development really depends on the attitude of the people. If people are committed and determined for their city's development even the politicians cannot do anything to hamper it.
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1074
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reghu View Post
The government has decided to acquire 300 acres of land near the TS canal banks for the upcoming Titanium Sponge factory at Chavara. The factory is coming up very near to the KMML complex premises.

[IMG]http://i40.************/2lwary8.jpg[/IMG]
Great news. Hope there will not be any protest against the land acquisition.

The Titanium Sponge factory is a big initaitive as far as mineral industry is concerned. The Titanium Sponge factory, the KMML and IRE will put Chavara as the top industrial region in Southern Kerala.
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1075
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Kodikunnil Suresh MP to put pressure at the centre for Chengannur - Kottarakkara railway line

The Mavelikkara MP Mr. Kodikunnil Suresh said that he will put pressure on the central goverment for realizing the Chengannur - Kottarakkara railway line.

He also said that procedures have been taken to expedite the Kollam - Schencottah BG conversion.

[IMG]http://i42.************/2qk7xup.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #1076
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Railway Needs of Kollam - Kollam MP gives the list to the Railway minister

The Kollam MP Peethamabara Kuruppu has prioritised the railway needs of Kollam and gave a list to the railway minister E. Ahmed in New Delhi. The railway needs in his list are:

1. Stop for Rajdhani Express at Kollam Junction Railway Station

2. Expedition of Kollam SP office Flyover construction

3. Flyover at Elampalloor Railway gate in Kundara

4. Stop for Parashuram Express at Paravur railway station

5. Ticket Booking and Parcel Booking facilities at Eravipuram railway station in the city

6. Expedition of Kollam - Punalur BG conversion

7. Immediate start of Punalur - Schencottah BG conversion

8. Computerisation of Mayyanad and Paravur railway stations

[IMG]http://i43.************/2j4x4ih.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #1077
Reghu
Kollam Rising

A satellite view of Aashramam region in Kollam city

[IMG]http://i42.************/358pcif.jpg[/IMG]

The proposed Airstrip is coming up at the Aashramam maidan which is the vast plain land seen in the picture. The Hockey stadium and the sports complex coming up at the banks of Ashtamudi lake is shown with the red square box.

The jutted out land at the top left corner is surrounded by the beautiful Ashtamudi lake on all three sides. The Children's Park, Adventure Park, Aashramam British Residency (Guest House) and the famous Aashramam Sree Krishna Swamy Temple (Kollam Pooram is the culminating program of the temple festival) are also shown.

Last edited by Reghu; June 8th, 2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:50 AM   #1078
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Expert Team visits Aashramam maidan regarding airstrip

KOLLAM: A preliminary inspection was conducted by a team of experts at Asramam Maidan here on Monday evening as part of a proposal to construct an airstrip.

The team comprised P.M. Thulasidas, chairman of the Rajiv Gandhi Aviation Academy; T.K. Manoj Kumar, Transport Secretary; and Unnikrishnan, Tourism Planning Officer. They were accompanied by District Collector A. Shajahan and District Tourism Promotion Council secretary K. Shirish.

Mr. Thulasidas told presspersons that Asramam Maidan had both plus and minus points.

The possibilities probed were whether the airstrip would benefit the Ashtamudi Lake-based tourism sector of Kollam, domestic air services, and an aviation school.

The advantages were that that since the Maidan had once served as an aerodrome, there would not be much delay on the part of the Union government for constructing a runway.

Tourism prospects

Owing to its proximity to Ashtamudi Lake, the tourism sector stood to gain from the airstrip. The maidan would become a protected area.

However, the maidan would not be suitable for big planes. In case of local opposition, the proposed project would be dropped and sites in other districts would be considered.

He said the team would also inspect sites in Alappuzha and Pathanamthitta districts.

[IMG]http://i43.************/27y1lq1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/7315ag.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Reghu; June 9th, 2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #1079
robin_a_p
Trivandrum Lobby

Likes (Received): 812

It is very important for this project to stay in Kollam district. Kollamites should realize if they miss this opportunity then they better stop talking about development itself. If aashramam airstrip is not feasible the district authorities and Kollamites should help GoK in identifying a location somewhere else in the district. At any cost Kollam should not lose this project.
robin_a_p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #1080
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin_a_p View Post
It is very important for this project to stay in Kollam district. Kollamites should realize if they miss this opportunity then they better stop talking about development itself. If aashramam airstrip is not feasible the district authorities and Kollamites should help GoK in identifying a location somewhere else in the district. At any cost Kollam should not lose this project.
Robin, I also agree with your points. We should not miss out this opportunity. If Aashramam is not feasible then the airstrip can come up at the outskirts probably somwhere near to Kundara or Kottarakkara with necessary land acquisition. This airstrip can probably be developed into a full-fledged airport in future if enough land is acquired now itself. Any location between Kottarakkara and Kundara will be ideal as density of population will be relatively less there. This airport will definitely put Kollam into the aviation map and probably can become a supporting airport for the Trivandrum airport in future.