search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Lebanon > Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:49 PM   #221
tangolima

Likes (Received): 10

Does anyone know what they did with the numerous archeological finds that were discovered about 10 years ago prior to any work being done on the Souks? I remember seeing pictures and reading about it a while back and there were LOTS of archeological sites that were taking place in that area. I have not been able to find anythig since then and I am really worried that they bulldozed all the archeological findings and just build the souks on top of it all.
I would hope that because of the buildings elevated positions, they somehow maintained the sites below the building and the sites would still be visible/accessible to the shoppers.
Can someone please provide information or am I just going crazy and thinking of something else?

Meden Agan
tangolima no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM   #222
ainmreisiot

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Does anyone know what they did with the numerous archeological finds that were discovered about 10 years ago prior to any work being done on the Souks? I remember seeing pictures and reading about it a while back and there were LOTS of archeological sites that were taking place in that area. I have not been able to find anythig since then and I am really worried that they bulldozed all the archeological findings and just build the souks on top of it all.
I would hope that because of the buildings elevated positions, they somehow maintained the sites below the building and the sites would still be visible/accessible to the shoppers.
Can someone please provide information or am I just going crazy and thinking of something else?
I saw the excavations on a short trip I made a decade ago. There were amazing finds related to the ordered underlying street grid - something usually associated only with the Greeks, but dating rather from the 'persian' period (so the Greeks didn't invent everything!?).

But as much of the complex is build over a deep underground parking lot, I think that now we'd have to go look for most of those perso-phoenician ruins in the landfill.

They were supposed to incorporate mosaics from the Roman (?) period, and also a preserved rectangle of the underlying perso-phoenician ruins which should be landscaped and open to the sky. The Solidere chapter on the Souks shows where they might be. But I noted that the latest photos they've posted don't show anything. I hope that's because they want to build the suspense, or because the setting isn't ready, rather than that they've abandoned the idea.
ainmreisiot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #223
Joe.KL

Likes (Received): 2

coutesy of myself
Today

Last edited by Joe.KL; May 30th, 2009 at 07:48 PM.
Joe.KL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM   #224
Guy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainmreisiot View Post
Many who remember the old souks (I don't) often pose the question as to whether any of the original storekeepers would be back. Understandably, they cherish a hope of reconnecting to a past that the war destroyed.
--------
Anyway the idea of recreating the ambience of a souk doesn't seem to have been a goal. For a while, someone was even suggesting that they should and would discard the old street names...
I would guess very few of them are still in business. The gold souks that exist currently in Beirut are suffering as is. As any shop owner how business has been going and a lot of them think they will be out of business within the next decade. Unfortunately, SOLIDERE seems to want to create a very plastic and superficial version of a souk which has always been a key feature of Middle Eastern cities. It would be like European cities removing their canals for highways! Beirut has enough boutiques in the city center (most haven't attracted customers in impressive numbers). Why add so many more?
Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #225
ainmreisiot

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
As I posted above, most of the history is gone.
But there is an "Archaeological Garden" where something has been preserved. Don't know how they will arrange it so that it is identifiable and informative:

ainmreisiot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #226
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainmreisiot View Post
As I posted above, most of the history is gone.
But there is an "Archaeological Garden" where something has been preserved. Don't know how they will arrange it so that it is identifiable and informative:

hmmm...thanks for the pic. I guess preserving something is better than not having anything at all eh? Hopefully there is more to it than what's in the picture...

Meden Agan
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #227
tangolima

These are some picures that I found that triggered my question initially - courtesy of Borre Ludvingsen (almashriq.hiof.net) - http://almashriq.hiof.no/lebanon/700...igsen/pcd0087/ - These were taken around 1995-1996, at the peak of the excavations and the delight of the archeologists

Meden Agan
Old June 12th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #228
AmeriLEB

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadini View Post
Here it is, from the solidere report
Its Aishti's new store... Go to there magazine that just came out on there website...also says souks are opening this month!
AmeriLEB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #229
Jayme
Melburnian

I thought it was a department store
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #230
AmeriLEB

aishti is a deparatment store name lol
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #231
Jayme
Melburnian

Ohhh I thought It was just a retail store like GS.
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #232
Abu 3Leish

Likes (Received): 14

well it is something like a department store ...only it charges a million times higher
they were selling a pair of jeans for 1200$ 2 years ago,it comes with a free condom the same colour as the jeans ... lol, that'll definitely boost their customers ...especially those khaleeji m7ajabet
Old June 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #233
melkart
مستخدم مسجل

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriLEB View Post
Its Aishti's new store... Go to there magazine that just came out on there website...also says souks are opening this month!

Designed by world renowned architect Zaha Hadid. This is her second building in Lebanon.
melkart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #234
Joe.KL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu 3Leish View Post
well it is something like a department store ...only it charges a million times higher
they were selling a pair of jeans for 1200$ 2 years ago,it comes with a free condom the same colour as the jeans ... lol, that'll definitely boost their customers ...especially those khaleeji m7ajabet
It doesnt charge anything higher! That what designer cloths sell for worldwide..
Durning sale period, sometimes they offer ridiculously low prices, compared to the original price outside lebanon!
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #235
Jayme
Melburnian

70% when I was in Lebanon for the Feb sale ! hopfully 2010 I can do some shopping in Beirut Souks.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:22 AM   #236
m.h
m.h

Likes (Received): 1

great souk,but at what month it wil be opened???
m.h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #237
lebnani
Libano Cinéphile

Likes (Received): 6

I asked the Chief foreman today for you, he said the souks are aiming to open by October/November.
lebnani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #238
Joe.KL

Taken July 11.

Way too exciting
Old July 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #239
AmeriLEB

BURBERRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!