search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Lebanon > Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #241
CharoogAjram
Beirut + Las Vegas = ♥

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.KL View Post
Taken July 11.

Way too exciting
OoLaLa. Burberry!

Can't wait for the opening.
CharoogAjram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #242
Jayme
Melburnian

Shopping time soon ! ... Im a shopping addict, I buy things I dont need hahaha
Old July 15th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #243
AmeriLEB

Likes (Received): 36

Gradual opening starting this summer. Official opening last quarter 2009.

In the north Souks site work started on the Entertainment/Cinema started in April. The HOT department store is still being coordinated with the owners and the municipality.
AmeriLEB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #244
CharoogAjram
Beirut + Las Vegas = ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme View Post
Shopping time soon ! ... Im a shopping addict, I buy things I dont need hahaha
Haha. Join the club.
CharoogAjram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #245
Rabih
Smirk4Life

Likes (Received): 14

Souk project helps transform Beirut
Ferry Biedermann
Foreign Correspondent

The 100,000 square metre-plus retail and leisure centre signals a new phase for Beirut’s downtown area.

BEIRUT // The streets have names that are evocative of the past and genuinely old masonry shimmers through on rare corners, but the centrally located Beirut souks project that is set to partially open its doors next month is a shopping mall by any other name.

The long delayed launch of what is marketed as a 100,000 square metre-plus retail and leisure centre signals a new phase for Beirut’s downtown area, reconstructed after the devastating 1975-1990 civil war. It also sends a signal of continuing stabilisation after the political troubles and violence that plagued the country until last year.

The souks will feature leading brands such as H&M, Zara, Massimo Dutti and Lebanon’s Aïshti and attract shoppers to the downtown area which was known more for its outdoor cafés and restaurants. Because of its size and central location, it is expected to draw foreign visitors away from other large shopping malls in the capital.
The project is taking place on the site of the former gold souk and the Bab Idris vegetable souk.

The opening of the souks is also significant for Solidère, the huge development company responsible the reconstruction of downtown Beirut that was set up by Rafiq Hariri, the five-time prime minister who was assassinated. Solidère oversees the master plan for downtown Beirut and gets most of its income from land sales.

The souks are among the few projects for which the company has retained ownership. A report earlier this year from Citibank estimated that Solidère’s revenues from rental income would rise from 7 per cent last year to 11 per cent next year because of the opening of part of the souks project.

Solidère has been criticised in the past for its commercial approach to reconstructing downtown Beirut and its supposed disregard for the original atmosphere of the place.
But this time the response from the business community has been overwhelmingly positive.

“The souks will not be what they were but they look great. They used modern techniques and they did a good job,” said Beaudart Issa, a board member of the Beirut Merchants Association who before the civil war used to own a shop in downtown Beirut’s souk tawileh. “Without Solidère, the reconstruction of downtown may not have happened,” he says.

Solidère last month announced pre-tax profits for last year of US$214.3 (Dh787.1m), an 18 per cent rise over the previous year despite the global downturn. Traders in Beirut point out that the stock’s performance is not likely to be affected much by the opening of the souks or other commercial developments. Solidère is the most traded stock and largely determines the movement of the BLOM index.

However, its performance seems more tied to the overall political and economic situation of the country. Solidère shares gained 15 per cent, for example, after the June 7 election victory of Lebanon’s pro-western bloc, led by Mr Hariri’s son Saad.
The opening of the Souks sends a signal of continuing normalisation after the turbulent years between the assassination in 2005 of Mr Hariri and last year’s violent street battles between rival factions in Beirut. The downtown area was particularly hard hit by a continuous anti-government sit-in from December 2006 until June last year that all but paralysed the area.

Shop owners still reeling from the effects of the long period of political turmoil say that rather than feeling threatened by the opening of a shopping mall on their doorstep, they are optimistic. “It will increase foot traffic and we will profit from a certain percentage,” said Toni Traboulsi, the executive manager of the Middle East Luxury Group that has shops for several high-end brands, including Ferré, facing one of the souks’ entrances.

The southern part of the souks will open next month. “We have a gentleman’s agreement with several retailers,” said George Chamoun, the head of operations for Lebanon’s Retail Group, which will open 10 stores in the mall.

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....99946/-1/SPORT
* Human League
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Lebanon
* Chris de Burgh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lebanese Night
* Roger Waters
Leaving Beirut
* U2
Cedars Of Lebanon
* Thievery Corporation
Lebanese Blonde
Rabih no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM   #246
lebnani
Libano Cinéphile

Likes (Received): 6

Taken July 7 2009

lebnani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #247
WalidElmusrati

Likes (Received): 0

ABC stores

This is something i think you will like
WalidElmusrati no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #248
Jayme
Melburnian

ohhh... ABC a department store there, thats good.
Old August 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #249
ainmreisiot

Likes (Received): 8

1st Week of August, 2009

Last edited by ainmreisiot; August 9th, 2009 at 10:06 AM.
ainmreisiot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #250
ainmreisiot

More from early August 09

Riad el Solh / Souk Tawile entrance

Old August 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #251
ainmreisiot

Ajami Square

Last edited by ainmreisiot; August 9th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #252
ainmreisiot

Souks Ayass & Tawile, and Fakhry Bey St.

Only the facade of this building was left standing after the war and clearing up of ruins/buildings they didn't want:

The preserved facade on Allenby (actually thought for a while that it was so dramatic as a ruin that they could have stabilized it and kept it that way, maybe even with usable 'half-rooms'):

Last edited by ainmreisiot; August 9th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #253
ainmreisiot

Fakhry Bey entrance & Gold Souks, August 2009

Gold Souks from Allenby:

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #254
Hassoun
Son of the cedars

Likes (Received): 877

Nice architecture, but it's going to taker some time , they should have an independent website by now , we need to know what we r going to have there.
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #255
AmeriLEB

The architecture is awesome..very detailed..Look at that last picture ie. the separation of wall and ceiling.

Awesome pictures thank you! One thing i keep noticing is the building in post 249 picture 7. The balconys have not be restored for a very long time...looks unfinnished. Its kinda a cool building..they took a traditional and added a modern top.
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #256
ainmreisiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriLEB View Post
The architecture is awesome..very detailed..Look at that last picture ie. the separation of wall and ceiling.

Awesome pictures thank you! One thing i keep noticing is the building in post 249 picture 7. The balconys have not be restored for a very long time...looks unfinnished. Its kinda a cool building..they took a traditional and added a modern top.
Had fun posting, (and taking them!).

That last picture is of Kevin Dash's work. Glad the details rang with someone else: I got a kick out of them as well. Dash is pretty good about details, viz. the Audi Building and the Grey Hotel.

That building in post 249 is one of my favorites. I think (not sure) they actually gutted it, and built a modern structure from ground up within the unrestored facade. It's a beautiful combination...
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #257
AmeriLEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainmreisiot View Post
Had fun posting, (and taking them!).

That last picture is of Kevin Dash's work. Glad the details rang with someone else: I got a kick out of them as well. Dash is pretty good about details, viz. the Audi Building and the Grey Hotel.

That building in post 249 is one of my favorites. I think (not sure) they actually gutted it, and built a modern structure from ground up within the unrestored facade. It's a beautiful combination...
I love it also..but wonder if its meant to look unfinnished/destroyed or just needs the balconys that are missing LOL Maybe a conbo glass/iron,stone would be awesome.

Did you see stores being fixed?
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #258
ainmreisiot

Think it's deliberate, to evoke the war. Building (at least top floor) has been occupied for a while.

Didn't see much in the way of actual fitting out of stores. Noticed Zara and one other. Of course there may be quite a bit going on behind the plywood coverings.

Will be interesting to see what kind of guidelines retailers will have to follow when fitting things out.

Still regret the archaeology that should have been preserved, and could have been fit into the development. I would have liked to see the covered souk (Ayass?) rebuilt to give a bit more of the old texture back. And I would also have liked to see more cultural magnets built in to allow it to offer a more rounded urban experience. But it is certainly a very attractive development with much more architectural merit than any shopping center I've ever seen. Like the entrance to ABC which flows into an open space from the street, it fits into the urban fabric rather than standing apart from it. When full of activity it should be fantastic.
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #259
AmeriLEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainmreisiot View Post
Think it's deliberate, to evoke the war. Building (at least top floor) has been occupied for a while.

Didn't see much in the way of actual fitting out of stores. Noticed Zara and one other. Of course there may be quite a bit going on behind the plywood coverings.

Will be interesting to see what kind of guidelines retailers will have to follow when fitting things out.

Still regret the archaeology that should have been preserved, and could have been fit into the development. I would have liked to see the covered souk (Ayass?) rebuilt to give a bit more of the old texture back. And I would also have liked to see more cultural magnets built in to allow it to offer a more rounded urban experience. But it is certainly a very attractive development with much more architectural merit than any shopping center I've ever seen. Like the entrance to ABC which flows into an open space from the street, it fits into the urban fabric rather than standing apart from it. When full of activity it should be fantastic.
I think the north souks will add to the entire experince..with theatre and cinemas etc
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #260
LeB-iT

Likes (Received): 0

i always wondered why they didn't construct both the south and north souks simultaneously? They could have saved years in time!
LeB-iT no está en línea   Reply With Quote