search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Switzerland

Switzerland Schweiz Suisse Svizzera

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #61
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1983

I have to say, after this language mischmasch here, I am drivting more to a solution along the language borders. But I am not shure yet, that's also why I am not too much into the discussion yet. I am interested in a good solution as well.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #62
sämelihülz
Kansas of Elsass

Likes (Received): 16

I know it's hard for the french-speaking ones like Lausanne, to understand our posts in german, but I don't wonna write in english in the Basel thread, from one day to another. I have no problem, discussing and explaining the projects to them in english or french, but I don't think, making the hole swiss forum speaking english is the right solution.

Switzerland is a unique country, with his 4 languages, and I think it's a part of it. Making everything in english would destroy this uniqueness.

So for the "only german-speaking", this would mean: try to speak a little bit french or english with the romands or the ticinesi, and for the other part the same, try to speak german, or at least try to read it.

All in all this means:

1. Germany- Switrzerland-Austria forum in the Euroscrapers
2. a french speaking forum and maybe also a italian speaking one
3. german is still the main language in the swiss Forum

I'm sorry railcity but I think a independant english-speaking forum wouldn't be a good solution.

***1893***
sämelihülz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #63
railcity

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sämelihülz View Post
I know it's hard for the french-speaking ones like Lausanne, to understand our posts in german, but I don't wonna write in english in the Basel thread, from one day to another. I have no problem, discussing and explaining the projects to them in english or french, but I don't think, making the hole swiss forum speaking english is the right solution.

Switzerland is a unique country, with his 4 languages, and I think it's a part of it. Making everything in english would destroy this uniqueness.

So for the "only german-speaking", this would mean: try to speak a little bit french or english with the romands or the ticinesi, and for the other part the same, try to speak german, or at least try to read it.

All in all this means:

I'm sorry railcity but I think a independant english-speaking forum wouldn't be a good solution.
I never suggested that.

My suggestion is exactly what you wrote above: threads are in the local language, for example Basel in German, and English would be also allowed in order to explain projects.

The only difference between your suggestion an mine (except that I prefer an independent Switzerland forum) is that I don't want to create additional french- and italian-speaking subforums. The threads on the projects in Romandie will be in French anyway, and threads on Ticino-projects in Italian (both again, with the possibility to ask questions in English).

In order to give people like Lausanne additionally the opportunity to have also discussions on Swiss cities outside the Romandie in French language only, there can be one special French-only thread on each city. So, for example in the Basel subforum one thread "Bâle en français".

There would be no threads on each Basel project in French only as well, because that would be then too many threads and anyway not so many people want to discuss about Basel/Zurich/Bern in French only.

Analogically there could be (if there is a need) also threads in German- and Italian-only on Swiss cities, maybe also English-only. But again: maximum one thread per city!

That's the Suggestion A.
railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #64
el_tico
esteban_coto

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:

All in all this means:

I think we can have an independent forum (just like we have an independent nation), where the Zurich and Basel sections could be discussed in German, a Romandie section where French would be the predominant language and a Ticino section where obviously Italian would rule. English would be used by those who don't speak the language in one of the sections. I, for instance, have a hard time understanding German and I surely cannot write it, hence I would use English if I want to communicate in the Zurich or Basel sections. And on the other hand I usually copy/paste the German sentences and have them translated.
el_tico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #65
raggaman

Likes (Received): 25

A and D YES (doesn't really matter to me which one of those..)

B and C NO

Thanks for the polls railcity!

raggaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #66
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 56679

Quote:
Originally Posted by railcity View Post
The fantasies are rather on your side ("internationally significant german-speaking forum").
You're such a freaking liar. Since the beginning, the very first posts regarding this issue, I always said: It'd be the best to keep our forum united and restructure the Swiss forum to have their own linguistic sections! You can have any kind of re-structuring you guys want to.
Where did I say I just want a big German-speaking forum? I always provided you the option to have any kind of regions and languages in this forum. We'll rename the forum to "Germany - Austria - Swiss" and anybody will be able to find the Swiss forum.
However, it's not like you'd suffer from a prosperous German-speaking forum. Why would you? Vey, did you ever? The Swiss forum outgrew from the German speaking community on SSC, keep that in mind.
But that doesn't mean you aren't allowed to have discussions in any language you wish. That never was prohibited and never will be.

And why do you disperse all that demagogic bullcrap about me? Do you have anything against East Germans or something? Bad experiences? I'm not goin to move to Switzerland, so you can breathe again.
Slowly I'm going to believe you're the only one who's the simple-minded nationalist over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by railcity View Post
An independent Swiss forum is the most down-to-earth solution I can imagine.
No, it'd rather be a leap in the dark. I got to know you Swiss people as modest, frugal and friendly people. You're the plain contrary to that.
But I don't want to turn it into another personal clinch.

All I want is the best solution for this forum. And total independence isn't, not atm at least. Just take a look at some of the EE forums that got separated (and therefore independent), they're as dead as a dodo.
I don't say that'd surely happen to the Swiss one as well, but I fear you won't get the recognition you actually want to.

Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive!

Last edited by erbse; October 8th, 2008 at 06:02 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #67
railcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
I always provided you the option to have any kind of regions and languages in this forum.
That's true. As an oddity in UiG, in order to keep it together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
You're such a freaking liar. Where did I say I just want a big German-speaking forum?
That's not what I was saying. I was talking about the fantasies of UiG to become a highly significant forum being at the same time still 98% German speaking.

I quote:

- Wenn die UIG*-Gemeinde sich aber jemals von der Euroscrapers-Okkupation loslösen und ein wirklich bedeutendes Forum werden will, dann schaffen wir das nur gemeinsam.
- The Polish forum is the biggest single forum of SSC. And they don't even lose a single English word there….
- Of course you could have an English subsection. But how many of you guys would actually want to speak English all day long - in a Swiss forum, nota bene?

*UIG = Urban in German (language)
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #68
el_tico
esteban_coto

Likes (Received): 48

Where did my second post go? Disappeared! I had written something after my own post # 64, quoting Railcity.
el_tico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:12 AM   #69
sämelihülz
Kansas of Elsass

Likes (Received): 16

How about the user who voted on the poll who aren't from the swiss forum? do they count or not?

***1893***
sämelihülz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #70
railcity

Quote:
How about the user who voted on the poll who aren't from the swiss forum? do they count or not?
I would say, ideally, the voters should be current or former residents of Switzerland.
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #71
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 162

I have the impression this discussion, that is already filling 6 or 7 threads (!!!!) doesn't lead anywhere... we have to decide otherwise the whole Swiss forum will be burried under this topic. In the meantime we know more or less who is thinking what and for which reasons - argumenting further on doesn't lead anywhere.

What is the decision now? Best make a single poll and vote in a democratic way
Old October 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #72
steve5
Steve's Photo Gallery

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Küsel View Post
I have the impression this discussion, that is already filling 6 or 7 threads (!!!!) doesn't lead anywhere... we have to decide otherwise the whole Swiss forum will be burried under this topic. In the meantime we know more or less who is thinking what and for which reasons - argumenting further on doesn't lead anywhere.

What is the decision now? Best make a single poll and vote in a democratic way
I think we have debated enough to know that the majority is for a new subforum called Romandie. For the decision about an independent Forum or only a renaming we habe the polls A and D.

ERSTBEZUG - www.erstbezug.ch - Verzeichnis für Neubauprojekte in der Schweiz
steve5 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #73
Küsel
Resurrected

Work done... now follows a hard day's night (especially for Matthieu)

Ein schönes WE und viel Spass mit dem neuen Forum

Küsel :
Old October 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #74
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1983

Super, mir gefätts!

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #75
erbse
LIBERTINED

Nett hier.

Ich hab eure Unabhängigkeitserklärung mal mit einem kleinen Thread illustriert

Old October 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #76
erbse
LIBERTINED

Findet ihr das Schweizer Forum nun besser, da es unabhängig ist?

Old October 27th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #77
Küsel
Resurrected

Das Schweizer Forum an und für sich schon, aber das Navigieren zu euch rüber braucht einen Klick zuviel. Trotzdem kommen wir ja immer wieder vorbei, wie du siehtst.
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #78
railcity

I like it.

It's really a huge plus to have all Swiss together in one forum. Especially discussions on projects in the Romandie have been picking up in a very short time already. And we have more visitors from abroad as well. Of course not in big masses, but there is already an improvement. Now, we're very soon are gonna reach 10'000 posts already.
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #79
Basel_CH

Likes (Received): 40

Hat jemand ein Ueberblick ob seit der Neugestaltung der Traffik im Schweizer-Forum zu- oder abgenommen hat? Bezüglich Anzahl Posts und bezüglich Anzahl Views?
Basel_CH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #80
Lausanne

Likes (Received): 7

That's perfect now !