daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: how about it?
yes 12 16.00%
no 63 84.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 7th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #1
SILVERLAKE
Tastemaker Extraordinare

Likes (Received): 0

Has Miami become the SF of the east coast?

What I mean is Miami has become such a hot city that is drawing young people from all over the country and is now the second city of the east coast just like SF is the second city of the west coast. 10 years ago SF was pulling people from all over the nation to move there, but now LA is way hotter to move to. In fact Miami might be the cooler city than SF which used to be the third city

What do you think.

SF is to LA as Miami is to NY.

Sponsored Links

Old September 7th, 2004, 07:41 PM   #2
Steely Dan
facist lord of the cosmos

Likes (Received): 111

i think boston is a better comparison as the SF of the east coast.
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #3
hudkina

Likes (Received): 79

Yeah, Boston is the San Francisco of the East Coast.
hudkina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #4
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Likes (Received): 1

Then what's the Boston of the West Coast?
teshadoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 07:52 PM   #5
hudkina

Uh... San Francisco...
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:12 PM   #6
SILVERLAKE
Tastemaker Extraordinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptent
i think boston is a better comparison as the SF of the east coast.

But people from all over the country are not moving to Boston to be part of the scene there like they do to SF. And now Miami is a huge national hot spot. I read that young college grads from all over the midwest are moving to LA (first and foremost) and Miami (second). SF used to be a huge draw (supposedly in the mid to late 90s almost 15% of all Michigan grads moved to SF which was second after NY).

So Boston is for sure not the SF of the east coast. Maybe Boston and San Diego or more comparable or maybe Portland.
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #7
SChristopher

Do you have a source of young college grad migration? I have been looking for one.
SChristopher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:19 PM   #8
Steely Dan
facist lord of the cosmos

Likes (Received): 111

toledo is the san francisco of lake erie
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:24 PM   #9
teshadoh
100% Right 50% Of Time

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina
Uh... San Francisco...
Uh, like totally ["W" hand signal]
teshadoh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #10
GetOnDaTrain
Urban Contemporary

Though with very completely different terrains, Miami and San Francisco are pretty alike in their CMSAs. Both have three core metro cities: San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose and Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach. Get my drift. Both metros also have developed metros that have their sprawl stopped up at wetlands. SF's stops between the hills and at least miles away from the Wildlife Refuge on land in the Bay Area mostly close around San Jose. Miami's stops at the Florida Everglades.
GetOnDaTrain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #11
SChristopher

Toledo is crap...BTW silverlake love your signature ...if I moved to LA will I be considered more sexy than I am in 'the midwest'? I already am talented I guess...I can do guitar and piano and sing and I am a pretty bad ass actor, maybe that would be better if I was around some celebs out there ya know.....
Old September 7th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #12
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharptent
toledo is the san francisco of lake erie
lol
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #13
hudkina

Actually, more people moved to Michigan from California between 1995 and 2000 than vice versa.

Florida (36,000), Arizona (14,000), Georgia (12,000), Tennessee (11,000), and North Carolina (9,000) were the ones that gained the most from Michigan.
Old September 8th, 2004, 02:12 AM   #14
Shawn

Likes (Received): 22

SF/Boston is far more appropriate a comparison.

-Boston is one the largest centers of higher learning in North America (Harvard, MIT, BC, Tufts, etc) and San Francisco is no slouch in that department either (Stanford, UC Berkeley, U of SF, etc). Miami has . . . the U of Miami?

-San Francisco is the IT and tech capital of the US, Boston has the second-highest concentration of IT and tech in the country (the 128 Belt). Miami has . . . some Best Buys?

-Boston has the highest concentration of biotech firms in the country (Biogen, Boston Scientific, Genzyme, Novartis, etc). According to this Brookings Institute report, Boston and San Francisco have established themselves as the clear national leaders in biotechnology - both cities receive more NIH funding and venture capital for biotech than the next 30 ranked cities combined. Miami is ranked along Memphis and Oklahoma City as a "median metropolitan area."

-San Francisco and Boston are both important financial capitals. San Francisco’s Pacific Stock Exchange is the largest equity exchange by volume outside of NYC. Boston has the highest concentration of asset management firms in North America, with over $730 billion under management. Miami has the second highest number of foreign commercial bank offices in the US; however the vast majority of these banks are small Latin American banks with combined assets of less than Boston's State Street Bank alone.

-San Francisco and Boston are among the top 5 per capita income and median household income metropolitan areas in the country (number 2 and number 5, respectively). Miami is ranked 55.

-San Francisco and Boston are temperate and hilly. Miami is flat and warm.

-San Francisco and Boston have among the highest percentages of commuters taking public transit in the country. Miami is in the middle of the pack.

-Counties in the San Francisco and Boston CMAs experienced moderate to no growth from 1990 to 2000. Counties in the Miami CMA experienced high growth from 1990 to 2000.

I don’t wanna come off as smug here, but I think comparing San Francisco to Boston makes perfect sense. Miami should be compared to LA - both are fast growing centers of pop culture in warm climates with nice beaches, large service sectors and limited corporate presence.

But hey, SF and Miami can compare in at least one category: the 49ers and Dolphins will both be scraping the bottom of the barrel in their respective NFL divisions!
Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #15
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

No. Just another wannabe.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #16
bay_area
Live and Let Live

Likes (Received): 4

I think of Miami as more of a Las Vegas then a San Francisco.
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #17
SILVERLAKE
Tastemaker Extraordinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
SF/Boston is far more appropriate a comparison.

-Boston is one the largest centers of higher learning in North America (Harvard, MIT, BC, Tufts, etc) and San Francisco is no slouch in that department either (Stanford, UC Berkeley, U of SF, etc). Miami has . . . the U of Miami?

isn't stanford more in San Jose and Berekely in Oakland/Berkeley????????? Those boston schools are more in boston....but whatever....i'm talking about cultural power and Miami has sort of taken over SF as a sexy place to move to..

Ranking of cultural power
1) LA
2) NY
3) Miami
4) SF
5) Seattle
6)
Old September 8th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #18
Shawn

Likes (Received): 22

Berkeley is closer to downtown San Fransisco than U of Miami is to downtown Miami!

Maybe your area is influenced by Hispanic Miami, but not Boston, and not the Northeast in general. Our hispanic influence comes strongly from NY or directly from the Dominican Republic. Miami has zero cultural influence in MA, NH, RI or even in CT . . . unless you want to count the mediocre CSI Miami.
Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #19
SChristopher

Which is again a tv show...and I suppose you said Seattle for Frasier and SF for full house....
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:21 PM   #20
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 446

Miami is not and will never be like SF.
SF is a world class city with culture, very polite, very liberal, with a nice scenery, with good public transportation, very urban, with a nice and elegant downtown. with a good universities, with very upscales restaurants, more per capital than any other city. (Wine country, golden gate, Chinatown the largest in NA, Cables cars, bay bridge, union sqare, Alcatraz, Coit tower, near sillicon valley, biotech power, and I can go on and on

It is ridiculuos to compare Miami with SF,
Miami should be compare to Phoenix or maybe Dallas,
but even the bay area metro is more than two millions larger than South Florida metro, that will be like adding the Orlando metro to MIami
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote