search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Milwaukee

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #1081
phxtravelboy

Likes (Received): 532

It's been interesting listening to the FOX announcers in today's game. They've been calling out the Brewers shortcomings, which have been evident all year long. The numerous strike outs, swinging at ball 4 many times. The "only swing for the fences" mentality these hitters have. Their terrible batting average w/RISP.

This is how I'm TRYING to view this season, but I'm really struggling to get there...lol.

The offense has completely disappeared since the ASG; last in MLB in runs scored and runs scored per game on average.

MLB leading team in strike outs and MLB individual leader in strikeouts (Broxton).

27th in MLB with RISP and 2 outs.

Anderson lost for a significant part of the season and now Nelson lost for the remainder of the season.

HORRIBLE at scoring with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs.

So DESPITE all of the above, they are still on the cusp of the playoffs... Moving forward, they MUST MUST MUST address the overly aggressive plate appearances. The constant swinging at every ball thrown at them has got to go.
phxtravelboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM   #1082
phxtravelboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-MSP-CHI View Post
DUDE, they are still 8-3 in their last 11, how it that playing poorly. Last night was tough to swallow, but are you EVER happy? They were terrible in 2015. They were slightly better last year. 2017 was so supposed to be 74-88 with optimistic projections. The Brewers could lose every remaining game and still not having a losing season. They win one game and that's a winning season, something which has happened precisely 9 times since I was born in 1984, and happened 0 times between 1993 and 2006. We've been above .500 five times since 2007, so this is literally the high watermark for the team since 1982 in terms of sustained success. No season is something to take for granted, and you're right the Brewers could regress, so......ENJOY THE HERE AND NOW!
This makes me laugh, as you're saying that simply having a winning season is "good enough" since they were predicted to not be very good, and you're happy with that. So basically "they don't suck as badly as predicted". If you're happy with that, fine, but I most certainly am not.

I guess I just have much higher expectations than most.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM   #1083
phxtravelboy

So watching the Cubs now in the top of the 8th shows you how the game SHOULD be played; something the Brewers don't get. A leadoff double followed by a walk puts 2 on with no outs. The next batter up places a perfect bunt down the 3rd base line to move both runners up to 2nd/3rd. The next batter up sends a long fly ball to center field scoring the leading run from 3rd. Done. Easy peasy. That's called small ball and wins games. If this was the Brewers, 1st/2nd w/none out would have been followed by a strike out or a double play as we've seen this ALL year long. Let's go back to Thursday's game to reinforce my point. Bottom of the 7th, 1 run in, runners on 1st/2nd with 1 out. What happens next? But of course, 2 strike outs!! Including striking out swinging at ball 4 which would have loaded the bases. Same game, bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, 1 out. What happens yet again? Of course yet another strike out followed by a soft ball hit to the pitcher. This team just does not understand small ball which is SO annoying.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #1084
UWsteve2009

Likes (Received): 817

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxtravelboy View Post
This makes me laugh, as you're saying that simply having a winning season is "good enough" since they were predicted to not be very good, and you're happy with that. So basically "they don't suck as badly as predicted". If you're happy with that, fine, but I most certainly am not.

Braun, villar, Garza, Anderson, Nelson, Brinson etc have all been hurt alot.

I have high expectations long term. But I also know when we have 0 business even being in it now. I am also not naive enough to think we can beat the Dodgers or nats without home field.

We have the lowest payroll in baseball and can addreess our pitching this off-season.

This is great experience and we will be back regardless of how thr last week plays. Remember brinson and plenty of other youngsters haven't made their mark.

phxtravelboy liked this post
UWsteve2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #1085
phxtravelboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWsteve2009 View Post
Braun, villar, Garza, Anderson, Nelson, Brinson etc have all been hurt alot.

I have high expectations long term. But I also know when we have 0 business even being in it now. I am also not naive enough to think we can beat the Dodgers or nats without home field.

We have the lowest payroll in baseball and can addreess our pitching this off-season.

This is great experience and we will be back regardless of how thr last week plays. Remember brinson and plenty of other youngsters haven't made their mark.
I agree with you. I have high expectations long term too.

VERY nice win today; breaking their 0-54 streak when losing after 8 innings.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #1086
joeyk5180

Likes (Received): 342

Quote:

Didnít u already say earlier this year that u have no expectations for both the Bucks and Brewers because how bad they usually are year in and out? So you are now counteracting yourself. If u expect the Brewers to be in last or second last in the division like u said last month then why still constantly complain about them even though they have blown expectations.

That swing for the fences mentality I guess just won us the game in walk off fashion. But you will go away quietly like every time the Brewers win and then come back and complain as soon as they lose.

vcat59 liked this post
joeyk5180 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM   #1087
phxtravelboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk5180 View Post
Didnít u already say earlier this year that u have no expectations for both the Bucks and Brewers because how bad they usually are year in and out? So you are now counteracting yourself. If u expect the Brewers to be in last or second last in the division like u said last month then why still constantly complain about them even though they have blown expectations.

That swing for the fences mentality I guess just won us the game in walk off fashion. But you will go away quietly like every time the Brewers win and then come back and complain as soon as they lose.
Yes I did, but I also said that now that the brewers are making a playoff push I don't settle for this maddening play that is holding them back from doing even better; the strike outs, swing for the fence mentality, lack of small ball play, etc.

And yeah, that walk off HR won their FIRST game of the year when trailing after 8 innings after 54 losses. Poor argument there as the swing for the fences mentality has contributed to WAY more losses than wins. This is only the second game I can think of all year that the Brewers won a game they probably should have lost; the other one back in July I think it was when they came back on the Mets in MKE after losing by something like 6 runs. They have lost WAY more games they should have won, including the previous 3.
Old Today, 03:40 AM   #1088
joeyk5180

Likes (Received): 342

Quote:
Yes I did, but I also said that now that the brewers are making a playoff push I don't settle for this maddening play that is holding them back from doing even better; the strike outs, swing for the fence mentality, lack of small ball play, etc.

And yeah, that walk off HR won their FIRST game of the year when trailing after 8 innings after 54 losses. Poor argument there as the swing for the fences mentality has contributed to WAY more losses than wins. This is only the second game I can think of all year that the Brewers won a game they probably should have lost; the other one back in July I think it was when they came back on the Mets in MKE after losing by something like 6 runs. They have lost WAY more games they should have won, including the previous 3.

I donít think anything will make u happy with the team to be honest. I donít think u quite grasp how young this team is. Most of these guys just got big league experience for the first time this year and you expect them to play like veterans. These games are a great learning tool now plus they still mean something.

Only 1.5 games back of a playoff spot yet all u did the entire year is criticize them when the going got tough. I never seen u write anything real positive when they were playing well. They could make a wildcard spot and you would still complain that they should of won the division.
joeyk5180 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:56 AM   #1089
MKE-MSP-CHI

Likes (Received): 2658

You've certainly answered the question, no, you're never happy. Don't try to ruin it for the rest of us though. We look at your glass half-empty view of 2017 and feel bad for you. We all get the faults. The Brewers are an all or nothing team. If they don't get the long ball, they haven't won. They are usually NOT clutch, as evidenced by their inability to come back after the 7th inning. The RISP has been maddening to watch. But I said back in April that I'd be happy with a winning record, and I STILL am. I've had more fun watching this team than I've had since 2011. You're watching this team like the Packers when we're the MLB's Bengals, occasionally great but mostly bad.

There is NO team which has gotten more from less - the Crew has the lowest payroll in baseball at $60M, the Cubs are just under $180M with all the resources in the world including arguably the best GM and the best manager in ANY sport. I do not know if Anderson pitches this way next year. Nelson misses significant time next year and might not come back the same. I don't know if Davies is actually this good. I doubt Shaw repeats his numbers. But I am pretty excited about Arcia taking the next step. Phillips is 23 too and has shown me something the past few weeks. Aguilar could be good, Villar is still only 26. Santana took a MASSIVE step forward this year and could be a legitimate 40 HR 100 RBI threat for years. This team has an exceptionally deep bench, and NO Garza next year!

mbradleyc, WisBearcat, joeyk5180 liked this post
MKE-MSP-CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:04 PM   #1090
Boatnurd

Likes (Received): 1103

What other on field protests should be backed by NFL owners? They need to be very careful of what they say is free speech. I just want to watch football and the players to cut this crap Out.

Paule, vcat59 liked this post
Boatnurd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:16 PM   #1091
Paule

Likes (Received): 880

Even though my group and I were surrounded mostly by Cub fans we certainly didn't allow them to rule the roost on Saturday, we were loud, as were they. I swear to God though, I don't think I could take one more "Let's go Cubbies" chant"! What a horribly annoying name, "Cubbies", I'm serious!

Watching the game under the sun in over 90 degree weather was absolutely horrible! I should've brought sun screen but for some reason never thought of it. I felt like being fried like a toasted cheeser! Drinking alcohol didn't help but I traded that in for Gatorade buy the end of the game.

The game itself was definitely the best game I've ever witnessed! The trading of runs at the end and then the walk-off by Shaw, it just doesn't get any better than that!! Oh, and the total silence by the Cub fans as we Brewers fans were celebrating was something very special to witness as well!!

As for our friend phxtravelboy, I don't mind his negativity. The job of these negative kind of guys are to help keep it real for the rest of us homers, they don't love our team any less than we do. phx, keep your head up, you got a fan!
Paule no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
milwaukee