daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Western Australia

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #641
ipaddicted
ISO 160

Likes (Received): 1421

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2017, 06:46 AM   #642
jarkti
World's Happiest Person

Likes (Received): 752

That second one was perfect until I spotted that geeen shit

Kurtin liked this post
jarkti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:10 PM   #643
Kelli
Environmental Busybody

Likes (Received): 7634

This building is weird, it looked 95% Trumpian today with all the clouds. Changes colour so much depending on the weather.

Scraperfan, Skyline Art, Urbania liked this post
Kelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:12 AM   #644
eco186

Likes (Received): 887

THE best building in Australia, Believe Me.

desperaterobots, Urbicus liked this post
eco186 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:30 AM   #645
Scraperfan
Single, looking to mingle

Likes (Received): 2992

Opera House < Westin Perth.

Better let the tourists know they're photographing the wrong thing.
Scraperfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #646
desperaterobots
Full of nukey goodness

Likes (Received): 1760

I've seen other building, believe me. SAD!

eco186 liked this post
desperaterobots no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 06:02 AM   #647
hayds
resU deretsigeЯ

Likes (Received): 7157

Had the weirdest dream last night where the entire Westin building tipped over/collapsed on the northern side. I was in the car with my family and i was screaming "mum, quick drive!" as a plume of dust and debris was coming toward us on Wellington street up near Perth Arena () there was even reasoning behind it something to do with shortcuts taken in the piling. 3 people died. Some sort of talk about they will rebuild it again. Strange.

Last edited by hayds; April 5th, 2017 at 06:08 AM.
hayds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:10 PM   #648
Skyline Art
Hello World.

Likes (Received): 1251

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayds View Post
Had the weirdest dream last night where the entire Westin building tipped over/collapsed on the northern side. I was in the car with my family and i was screaming "mum, quick drive!" as a plume of dust and debris was coming toward us on Wellington street up near Perth Arena () there was even reasoning behind it something to do with shortcuts taken in the piling. 3 people died. Some sort of talk about they will rebuild it again. Strange.
What is the likelyhood of ANY building collapsing in Perth let alone within Australia for shortcuts taken in pilling or welding etc?

I have always wondered about what happens where some cities build high rises right on the edge of rivers or in canals etc and what would happen if they were built dodgy.

This one fell down because of soil being pilled up behind the building and water seeping through it... I didn't think you could dig out a basement anyway after a building was built. I guess however you can dig tunnels etc under buildings?

Skyline Art no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #649
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 1639

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE

dallas, PD, thewallpart6, JL1, hayds liked this post
docker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #650
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 1639

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
docker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #651
thewallpart6
I need to find myself

Likes (Received): 5388

Quote:
Originally Posted by docker View Post
When comparing Evolution to Creation, all I can say is that its absolutely impossible for there not to be a God due to the complexity and order in everything from the tiniest Atom, to DNA, to the Universe as a whole.

When you really truly look at the facts, The odds of Evolution actually occurring is..................... Zero !

Cheers
thewallpart6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #652
Kurtin

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewallpart6 View Post
This exactly came to mind too!
Kurtin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:07 AM   #653
Youngplanner

Likes (Received): 974

If only it were that tall...

vandermast, ScraperJ, linum liked this post
Youngplanner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:59 AM   #654
linum

Likes (Received): 664

I like the glass.
linum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 07:47 AM   #655
buddha3211
Conform Or Be Cast Out

Likes (Received): 2511

https://thewest.com.au/business/comm...-ng-b88470697z

Quote:
Westin Hotel to head CBD’s east end revival
Helen Shield
Wednesday, 17 May 2017 11:08AM

BGC Construction's Westin Hotel progress, the tower from Hay Street showing the Irwin Street side.

BGC’s $500 million, 28-level Westin Hotel development at 480 Hay Street is to spearhead a revival of the drab, shabby eastern side of Perth’s central business district.

The 360-room Westin’s drawcard landscaped food, drink and entertainment area, scheduled to open just weeks before the hotel next April, has been designed to merge seamlessly with the foyer of the five-star hotel, on the site of the old Perth Fire Station.

The development, in one of the least-loved areas of the CBD, has similar potential to Adrian Fini’s State Buildings revitalisation triumph, including the award-winning Treasury COMO hotel, Perth City Library and David Malcolm Justice Centre.

The Westin, bounded by Hay, Murray and Irwin streets, is a block from the Royal Perth Hospital and close to Victoria Square and is set to extend the clean, inviting space created by the nearby State Buildings, creating a welcoming, 24-hour entertainment precinct.

Perth Stadium is clearly visible from the upper floors.

BGC, which engaged place-making experts at RobertsDay, had worked through in detail plans for Hibernian Place, with street-level drawcard food, drink, restaurant, craft and convenience outlets to lure the 45,000 pedestrians expected to pass through the area each day.

Lease Equity’s Jim Tsagalis said, as well as a rooftop restaurant and bar on the Irwin Street side, there were a range of potential ground floor food and drink options, alfresco areas, potential for a cocktail bar, dine-in and takeaway options, and a downstairs late night jazz or blues venue.

The venues, from 100sqm to 600sqm, would be carefully curated to create a welcoming environment for hotel guests as well as locals, including doctors and nurses working all hours at Royal Perth Hospital.

An events program would likely prove a further attraction.

Demonstrating its long-term commitment to the building and the precinct, BGC will upgrade the heritage Hibernian Hall on Murray Street into a lounge bar-like venue, merging the historic building into the top-shelf component of the development.

A 22-level Hay Street office tower, part of the original hotel development, was on hold until a suitable tenant could be found.

However, Mr Tsagalis said, in the interim the office tower site would be landscaped, extending the public open space in the piazza near the hotel entry.

BGC acquired the land for $8 million under the then-State government’s hotel incentive scheme (it was valued at the time at $19 million to $26 million). BGC was proud of the high-quality development and its state-of-the art amenities which it was pitching as a “precinct for the people”.

“It’s going to create an active public space and central hub for the city’s east end,” Mr Tsagalis said.

“It’s a really exciting time for the city’s east end. We are at the very beginning of the gentrification of this area. Treasury has already hit benchmarks. With Northbridge, Perth City Link and Elizabeth Quay, it will all have a multiplier effect.”

Mr Tsagalis worked closely with Brookfield on 140William’s food and drink offering and on the vision for the stand-out Brookfield Place precinct.
buddha3211 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 01:05 PM   #656
Scraperfan
Single, looking to mingle

Likes (Received): 2992

Depending how the landscaped park space goes, it could be great if the city of Perth bought it and vested it as a park or Piazza.
Scraperfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:44 AM   #657
HighgateJohnny

Likes (Received): 1618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperfan View Post
Depending how the landscaped park space goes, it could be great if the city of Perth bought it and vested it as a park or Piazza.
Would the City of Perth be able to buy it at the subsidised price or market value apply? Looks like the FESA building could have been retained in a garden park setting and the hotel built on the unused car park.

https://thewest.com.au/business/comm...-ng-b88470697z

A 22-level Hay Street office tower, part of the original hotel development, was on hold until a suitable tenant could be found.

However, Mr Tsagalis said, in the interim the office tower site would be landscaped, extending the public open space in the piazza near the hotel entry.

BGC acquired the land for $8 million under the then-State government’s hotel incentive scheme (it was valued at the time at $19 million to $26 million)

The heritage Hibernian Hall is to covered by the hotel ballroom.

Paranormal phenomena, szkic, PD liked this post
HighgateJohnny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #658
hayds
resU deretsigeЯ

Old May 23rd, 2017, 03:34 PM   #659
hayds
resU deretsigeЯ

big impact on that Vic Park view along with Concerto.

Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:26 PM   #660
hayds
resU deretsigeЯ

double post.