SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | World Trade Center Transportation Hub | 46m | 150ft | Com

4M views 8K replies 651 participants last post by  Nexis 
#1 ·
I think a lot of people (especially me :D) are interested in this building and I couldn't find a thread about it. To avoid Off-Topic in the several WTC-Tower threads I decided to create this one.
So this is only about the Santiago Calatrava Transportation Hub and nothing else.
Here we go..

extract from lowermanhattan.info:

The image of a bird in flight is not one normally associated with an underground transportation center, but architect Santiago Calatrava has perfectly managed to marry the two. As designed, the World Trade Center (WTC) transportation hub -- built with two 150-feet-tall canopies extending from a glass- and steel-ribbed “body” -- sits at street level like a bird poised for flight, delivering natural light to the PATH train platform 60 feet below ground.

The $3.2 billion hub will sit at the northeast corner of the WTC site at Church and Vesey Streets and is expected to form an underground connection between the World Financial Center and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Fulton Street Transit Center. Through it, pedestrians will have access to Hudson River ferry terminals, PATH trains, 13 subway lines, and possibly a direct rail link to JFK International Airport.

Calatrava’s design features steel “ribs” with glass panels between them to maximize natural light inside the station. The underground concourse, mezzanine, and platform levels will be largely free of vertical columns for a greater sense of openness and movement. The hub will also be a central pedestrian thoroughfare for the half-million-square-foot retail program planned for the WTC’s lower levels.

“The building is built with steel, glass, and light. They will all be equal building materials,” Calatrava said. “The light will arrive at the platform, and visitors will feel like they are arriving in a great place, a welcoming place.”
Calatrava said that Daniel Libeskind’s original master plan both guided his design and served as inspiration, stating that the transportation hub “articulates with Libeskind’s beautiful plan. The station fits like a centerpiece in the middle of the plaza.”

The hub in its entirety, which is being funded in part by the Federal Transit Administration, should open by mid-2014 and is expected to eventually serve more than a quarter-million travelers daily.

video of the exterior view:
http://www.lowermanhattan.info/tool...title=Exterior View&desc=1 minutes 24 seconds

video of the interior view:
http://www.lowermanhattan.info/tool...title=Interior View&desc=1 minutes 48 seconds

See less See more
#1,617 ·
Anyway back on topic- it is me or do the blue masts on the west look smaller then M1280's?
It certainly looks smaller to me, and possibly more rectangular in shape.

What is the make/model of the corner crane for 3WTC? Its mast looks to be at least as big as the M1280's even though the crane itself appears quite a bit smaller.