SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | World Trade Center Transportation Hub | 46m | 150ft | Com

4M views 8K replies 651 participants last post by  Nexis 
#1 ·
I think a lot of people (especially me :D) are interested in this building and I couldn't find a thread about it. To avoid Off-Topic in the several WTC-Tower threads I decided to create this one.
So this is only about the Santiago Calatrava Transportation Hub and nothing else.
Here we go..

extract from lowermanhattan.info:

The image of a bird in flight is not one normally associated with an underground transportation center, but architect Santiago Calatrava has perfectly managed to marry the two. As designed, the World Trade Center (WTC) transportation hub -- built with two 150-feet-tall canopies extending from a glass- and steel-ribbed “body” -- sits at street level like a bird poised for flight, delivering natural light to the PATH train platform 60 feet below ground.

The $3.2 billion hub will sit at the northeast corner of the WTC site at Church and Vesey Streets and is expected to form an underground connection between the World Financial Center and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Fulton Street Transit Center. Through it, pedestrians will have access to Hudson River ferry terminals, PATH trains, 13 subway lines, and possibly a direct rail link to JFK International Airport.

Calatrava’s design features steel “ribs” with glass panels between them to maximize natural light inside the station. The underground concourse, mezzanine, and platform levels will be largely free of vertical columns for a greater sense of openness and movement. The hub will also be a central pedestrian thoroughfare for the half-million-square-foot retail program planned for the WTC’s lower levels.

“The building is built with steel, glass, and light. They will all be equal building materials,” Calatrava said. “The light will arrive at the platform, and visitors will feel like they are arriving in a great place, a welcoming place.”
Calatrava said that Daniel Libeskind’s original master plan both guided his design and served as inspiration, stating that the transportation hub “articulates with Libeskind’s beautiful plan. The station fits like a centerpiece in the middle of the plaza.”

The hub in its entirety, which is being funded in part by the Federal Transit Administration, should open by mid-2014 and is expected to eventually serve more than a quarter-million travelers daily.

video of the exterior view:
http://www.lowermanhattan.info/tool...title=Exterior View&desc=1 minutes 24 seconds

video of the interior view:
http://www.lowermanhattan.info/tool...title=Interior View&desc=1 minutes 48 seconds

See less See more
#601 ·
There's not really a scheduled date for it to leave as far as I know. I know for sure that if it doesn't leave within the next week or two, then they are most like backlogged. It was suppose to leave about mid late-July. I think a lot of people on here know how long the boom is on it right? How are they going to boom it down!? It can't with t3 and the forms for the hub. The jib maybe has to come down in the air. And to lift that thing out you (this is if they do the same technique as they put it in) need another crane where the smaller crane was that always used to remove dirt from the hub (Manitowoc 14000) and make whatever crane they put there, another one down in the hole to lift the 18000 out. If you look on the KPI TV cam, it is perfect to see how they might do it.

I seen this last night, 42 tons!
Nice pix, that looks like one of the ends for the East Truss.

As far as dismantling the 18000, can the Favco handle it?

#605 ·
The first part to come off is the max-er, the favco will take the max-er weights off then the 18000 will lift it out, the same way it came in.

The biggest problem is to lay the crane down, im sure they planned for it but it looks like someone screwed up big time. When it was first assembled in the hub it was crawled back against the #1 box with no max-er and it reached the slurry wall at church street, keep in mind they also had an extra 20 feet then. Like 325 said, the luffer will probably come off in mid air which has been done before but never in NY, it will be interesting to see to say the least! As for the heaviest pieces of the crane, the tracks, body and roatating bed, i am guessing they will use the new greenwich street and set up a crane on it to remove them as no crane on site such as the favco can lift these pieces at the radius they are set at. It will be very interesting to see this

#607 ·
The center spine is complete now.

I think they'll need a crane on Greenwich to also finish placing the concrete box beams over the northern end of the two eastern PATH tracks. There are quite a few of those beams left, and the Favco next to the north pool probably can't reach that far, plus it will probably be leaving soon. The new crane near 1WTC looks too small to be able to reach that area. The 18000 can reach there and in fact placed quite a bit of steel there about three Sundays ago, but that would be even more for it to have to do before it can leave. Finally, if a tower crane (the above Favco?) replaces the 18000, it too probably can't reach that area.

#615 ·
Those are interesting pieces. From the best I can tell, they are:

A - The remaining section of the center spine.
B - Upper half of the "end cap" for the south end of the box girder.
C - The lower half, which connects to the super column.
D - Truss piece.
? - No clue.

B has been placed last night, A already last week.
And the final truss piece has its brother now sitting next to it.

Also some progress on the arches..

But still some work to do for the 18000! (I hope they disassemble it before I am on vacation, want to see it "live" on webcams ^^ )

#620 ·
^^Best pic of that area in a long time. Amazing detail.

The end cap for the north end of the box girder is on site (arrow at right), and unlike the one for the south end, it appears to be in one piece.

I wonder what is the barbell-looking thing that has been there (arrow at center) for a while now?

Will there be a girder parallel to the east side of the truss? There appears to be connectors (circled) on the super columns for something else.

Unless the tower crane at the north pool is going to continue to lift stuff like rebar and forms for concrete, I don't see it being around much longer. The 18000 will probably finish placing the beams that connect to the two sides of the truss.