SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Kochi | Road Infra | Projects & updates

Tags
kochi roads
2M views 8K replies 260 participants last post by  Varkeechayan 
#1 ·
This thread is to discuss the developments happening in Kochi's surface transportation infrastructure such as Roads, Flyovers, Highways, Rail-Over Bridges, Grade Separators etc. Its after a long time, Kochi is seeing a massive improvements in roads and bridges developments.

Pls post your pics, reviews, reports, news and articles related to Kochi's roads, bridges, highways, ROBs and Flyovers here.

#2 · (Edited)
Pics of Kochi Roads

Posting some pics posted earlier as this being appropriate thread.

Cherthala-Aroor Highway, near Aroor, known as Southern Gateway to Kochi.

Aluva Road, leading to Kochi city

Kumbalam Toll Gate- the main entrance to the city of Kochi

The 6 laned Aroor Bridges to Kochi

Kalamasserry Flyover, near International Container Highway- NH 47C

Aluva Flyover, passing over Aluva City

Image Courtesy^^ - Arun Mathew

#3 ·
City roads to be raised to SH's standards

watch it from 03:08 mins onwards

The Corporation of Cochin, decided to revise its Road manual to make its city road's standards equal to State Highways and major arterial roads that to National highway.

The corporation will start works on all damaged city roads by mid of this month. To satisfy striking Road contractors of the City Corporation, the council decided to call for a meeting to resolve the issues. As a relief, Rs 5 crore will be released by taking as a Bank O/D. If the strike is not withdrawn despite of this offer, the entire roads of the city will repaired with help of State PWD department and RBCK.

The corporation council also called for a re-tendering for ads to be displayed on street lighting.

#4 ·
Good initiative MI:)

BTW, just came across this thread.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1389482

When can we see something like this in Kochi or Kerala? Our politicians and town planners can't even think of 4 lane flyovers or overbridges. Even newly constructed rail overbridges(Edapally & Pullepady) are just 2 lanes. We should show them these pictures and tell them that this is happening in India and not in some cash rich Arabian country.

#6 ·
Good initiative MI:)

BTW, just came across this thread.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1389482

When can we see something like this in Kochi or Kerala? Our politicians and town planners can't even think of 4 lane flyovers or overbridges. Even newly constructed rail overbridges(Edapally & Pullepady) are just 2 lanes. We should show them these pictures and tell them that this is happening in India and not in some cash rich Arabian country.
Its nice to see such developments. But sadly such initatives may not happen anywhere in Kerala, for that matter

1. Population is a major issue. Unlike Hyderabad, we have a huge population density, spreadly equally almost Kerala, hence such wide roads may not a reality

2. One major problem we face in Kerala, lack of visionary quality leader. Every leader visionized just 5 year period and mostly constituency vision. Hence long term projects gets suffered. Perhaps OC may bring a refreshing change

3. One problem in Kerala, any outer-ring roads, will not remain mere outer roads... Very soon, cities expand and they became an internal road. Perhaps Seaport-Airport road if properly developed, can turn itself as an outer ring road, as it connects to Container road and a backwater bridge from Aroor to Amballur side, will soon help byepass the core city in a long run.

4. Both Edappally, Pulleppady were concevied in early 1990s, when the vision was just 2 lane. The delays only made it still uncompleted even today. Yet that vision remains. A bridge/ROB of today, will definitely be a 4 lane, say Salim Rajan Flyover. But this vision is only limited for another 4 to 5 years. After this, we may require a 6 lane road. Unfortunately we don't have people who really dreams!!!

#7 ·
Its nice to see such developments.
4. Both Edappally, Pulleppady were concevied in early 1990s, when the vision was just 2 lane. The delays only made it still uncompleted even today. Yet that vision remains. A bridge/ROB of today, will definitely be a 4 lane, say Salim Rajan Flyover. But this vision is only limited for another 4 to 5 years. After this, we may require a 6 lane road. Unfortunately we don't have people who really dreams!!!
AFAIK Salim Rajan Flyover is going to be 2 lane. Correct me if I am wrong.

#8 ·
AFAIK Salim Rajan Flyover is going to be 2 lane. Correct me if I am wrong.
I heard that its going to be 4 lane... Correct me if I am wrong.....If so, it shows the poor vision of our leaders

#11 ·
സീപോര്*ട്ട് -എയര്*പോര്*ട്ട് റോഡിലെ വളവ് നിവര്*ത്താന്* നടപടിയായി. റോഡിന്റെ വടക്ക്*വശത്ത് പൂജാരി വളവാണ് നിവര്*ത്തുക. മുന്* സര്*ക്കാറിന്റെ കാലത്ത് പ്രാഥമികനടപടി ആരംഭിച്ചെങ്കിലും പിന്നീട് മുടങ്ങുകയായിരുന്നു. വളവ് നിവര്*ത്താന്* സ്ഥലം ഏറ്റെടുക്കുന്നതിന് റികലക്ടര്*ക്കും ലാന്*ഡ് അക്വിസിഷന്* സ്*പെഷല്* തഹസില്*ദാര്* വിഭാഗത്തിനും ലഭിച്ചതായി അധികൃതര്* പറഞ്ഞു. സ്ഥലം ഏറ്റെടുക്കുന്ന നടപടി ഉടന്* ആരംഭിക്കുമെന്ന് കലക്ടര്* പി.ഐ. ഷെയ്ഖ് പരീത് പറഞ്ഞു.

ഏറ്റെടുക്കുന്ന സ്ഥലത്തിന്റെ സര്*വേ റിപ്പോര്*ട്ട് പ്രസിദ്ധീകരിച്ചിട്ടിട്ടുണ്ട്. 0.3515 ഹെക്ടര്* (35 ആര്*) സ്ഥലമാണ് ് ഏറ്റെടുക്കുന്നത്. ഏറ്റെടുക്കുന്നതിന് റവന്യൂവകുപ്പിന്റെ അനുവാദം കൂടി വാങ്ങണം. ഇത് ഉടന്* ലഭിക്കും.സ്ഥലം ഏറ്റെടുക്കാനുള്ള തുക റോഡ്*സ് ആന്*ഡ് ബ്രിഡ്ജസ് ഡെവലപ്*മെന്റ് കോര്*പറേഷനാണ് നല്*കുന്നത്. സ്ഥലം ഏറ്റെടുത്ത് എല്*.എ വിഭാഗം നിര്*മാണം നടത്തുന്ന ആര്*.ബി.ഡി.സിക്ക് നല്*കും.

സ്ഥലം ഏറ്റെടുത്ത് നല്*കിയാലുടന്* വളവ് നിവര്*ത്താനുള്ള പണി നടത്തുമെന്ന് ആര്*.ബി.ഡി.സി അധികൃതര്* പറഞ്ഞു. ഫണ്ട് റോഡ്*സ് ആന്*ഡ്ബ്രിഡ്ജസ് കോര്*പറേഷന്റെ പക്കല്* ഉണ്ടെന്നും അധികൃതര്* പറഞ്ഞു

http://www.madhyamam.com/news/105344/110802
The district administration has completed the steps for rectifying the sharp curves at Seaport-Airport Road, at Poojari Curve in the northern side of SP/AP Road. The district collector will issue orders to Land Acquisition Special officer for acquiring 35 acres of land to rectify the sharp dangerous curve of the road, after the report is approved by Revenue Department. The compensation will be paid by RBCK as soon as it is in possession of the land. The RBCK also agreed to start the work as soon as they possess the land.

#12 ·
Some pics of Kochi Highways

NH 47 near Thycoodam Underpass

Panagad area of NH 47

Maradu area of NH 47

Vytilla area of NH 47

Image courtesy : Dileep

Padivattom Junction in Palarivattom

Angamally area of NH 47

Angamally Flyover

Angamally area of NH 47

Image courtesy:- Arun Sid

#14 ·
The first 4 pictures posted of mine is NOT even in Ernakulam District.It all in Thrissur District.So remove the first 4 pictures from the list.

I've no issues in using/quoting my pictures;but "DON"T MISUSE IT"..
Dear Ajith

I have written Image courtesy for each series of pictures below to the its original contributors with ^^^^ smile tag. The first few belongs to Arun Mathew, which was acknowledged at the end of its series and then your 4 pictures were shown with courtesy tag at the end.

I believe you didn't see it.... Anyways, A huge thanks for sharing these pics with us. Of-course there can't be any misuse of it, as you have watermarked it.

Thanks

#15 ·
Hello,
Read carefully my comments.
The first 4 pictures posted of mine is NOT even in Ernakulam District.It all in Thrissur District.So remove the first 4 pictures from the list.

I've no issues in using/quoting my pictures;but "DON"T MISUSE IT"..
You have posted total 6 pictures of mine (see & count the watermarks) and what I told is;out of these six, 4 snaps are not of Ernakulam district.

Don't bluff...

Before it was a request...Now it is a WARNING.

#16 ·
Hello,
Read carefully my comments.

You have posted total 6 pictures of mine (see & count the watermarks) and what I told is;out of these six, 4 snaps are not of Ernakulam district.

Don't bluff...

Before it was a request...Now it is a WARNING.
Is that Angamally area? The pics felt so..... If not its a mistake No Issue...

Then Warnings!!! Pls stop this attitude here.... I have removed all your pics at all..... Don't step into someone's shoes and take a grand stand.... Sorry for taking you pics..... Good bye

#19 ·
^^
Except the last two all are near Thrissur/Chalakkudy area.Thats why I told.

Yes.Not only me everybody have the right to warn if you misuse the watermarked snaps even after the request from the owner.Hope you got it.
You could have told it in proper manner, that the pics are in chalakudy or where-ever be it. Warnings etc are really sign of hostility which you wish to express always. Its was my mistake to take pics of a hostile person as I never maintain any enmity to any person.....

Anyway, forget it... I am not going to use your pics at all...