daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Australian Capital Territory

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2017, 07:26 AM   #281
AndyGM

Likes (Received): 2438

Crane going up for ‘On Forbes’ this afternoon.

Last edited by AndyGM; December 1st, 2017 at 02:26 AM.
AndyGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2017, 02:42 AM   #282
AndyGM

Inner North update:

Construction looks to be nearly done at the new courthouse. Wouldn't be surprised to see the crane come down soon.

Fencing going up at the Constitution Place site. I think its due to start construction next month so that makes sense.

Highgate cores are now up to about level 7 or 8, while floor plates look to be at about level 4.

Crane has come down on the Gallery Apartments site in Braddon. However it might just move down the street as I think Yamaroshi excavation is mostly done. Halston has also topped out, so that crane is also likely to come down soon.

On the demo side (of which there are many), demolition for the Capitol is well underway, with the two level buildings fronting London Circuit now gone, and the tower looking gutted. Civic quarter demo is now moving onto the remaining building facing Cooyong St, with the rest of the site into excavation. Midnight demo is at least half complete, with excavation on the remainder of the site underway. Finally, the demo stages for Founders Lane and Iskia are now past, with both sites into excavation.

f5nk, abc, Burke1996 liked this post
Old December 4th, 2017, 04:47 AM   #283
AndyGM

Sod turning ceremony for Constitution Place happened on the weekend.

It's good to see another surface carpark go.
Old December 5th, 2017, 10:42 AM   #284
Burke1996

Likes (Received): 5

Great news. After all these developments in the city have been completed, it will look like an actual city instead of a sea of carparks. I've always been keen for Constitution Place to commence construction.

alexcnb liked this post
Burke1996 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 03:57 AM   #285
AndyGM

There’s another two cranes up at ANU, making it five total. Three at Union Court and two at Bruce Hall

abc liked this post
Old December 12th, 2017, 03:15 AM   #286
AndyGM

Anzac Park East and Anzac Park West sold last week, along with the cafeteria site next to APW (and surrounding carpark) and East Block in the Triangle.

Amalgamated bought APE and the cafeteria site, and look like they'll get underway with demolition and development straight away (in fact I think theres a 4 year limit on the APE site, not sure if that is for starting or finishing) . The area around APE/Campbell 5 will be a nice (and expensive) spot once everything is done. The redevelopment of the carparks and cafeteria will also add to the density on Constitution Ave.

EG Funds have purchased the other two sites and it doesn't sound like APW will be going anytime soon (there's a 30 year limit on redevelopment as Defence has long term lease), and my only concern with the transaction is that the two redeveloped sites end up looking quite different, even if they keep them the same height/bulk.

You only need to look at Metropol and Founders Lane in the city to see how different two supposedly 'mirror' developments can look within the same building envelope, and that's for two projects being developed at the same time. Architectural styles might change a lot over the 25 years between APE and APW being demolished.

Last edited by AndyGM; December 12th, 2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old December 13th, 2017, 03:52 AM   #287
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGM View Post
Anzac Park East and Anzac Park West sold last week, along with the cafeteria site next to APW (and surrounding carpark) and East Block in the Triangle.

Amalgamated bought APE and the cafeteria site, and look like they'll get underway with demolition and development straight away (in fact I think theres a 4 year limit on the APE site, not sure if that is for starting or finishing) . The area around APE/Campbell 5 will be a nice (and expensive) spot once everything is done. The redevelopment of the carparks and cafeteria will also add to the density on Constitution Ave.

EG Funds have purchased the other two sites and it doesn't sound like APW will be going anytime soon (there's a 30 year limit on redevelopment as Defence has long term lease), and my only concern with the transaction is that the two redeveloped sites end up looking quite different, even if they keep them the same height/bulk.

You only need to look at Metropol and Founders Lane in the city to see how different two supposedly 'mirror' developments can look within the same building envelope, and that's for two projects being developed at the same time. Architectural styles might change a lot over the 25 years between APE and APW being demolished.
It's a terrible shame. They're extremely elegant mid-modern buildings. I'll be very sad to seem them go.
shaggers_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #288
marcfranc

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr View Post
It's a terrible shame. They're extremely elegant mid-modern buildings. I'll be very sad to seem them go.
I agree with you. Unfortunately, Anzac Park East has become derelict over the 20 years since it was occupied. But Anzac Park West was refurbished relatively recently. It's a scandal these buildings were left to rot and reflects poorly on whoever in government has been responsible for managing these valuable assets. The government doesn't want to spend money upfront to make good use of buildings like these, yet once they're sold off and refurbished by a private investor will shell out recurring rent payments for them over the long term. Doesn't appear to make economic sense, but this strategy is also followed by the private sector (e.g. banks).
marcfranc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #289
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfranc View Post
I agree with you. Unfortunately, Anzac Park East has become derelict over the 20 years since it was occupied. But Anzac Park West was refurbished relatively recently. It's a scandal these buildings were left to rot and reflects poorly on whoever in government has been responsible for managing these valuable assets. The government doesn't want to spend money upfront to make good use of buildings like these, yet once they're sold off and refurbished by a private investor will shell out recurring rent payments for them over the long term. Doesn't appear to make economic sense, but this strategy is also followed by the private sector (e.g. banks).
That "renovation" was hideous. And is that cafe not a Robin Boyd building?

Running around in them at night was one of our favourite late-night activities in the mid-90s. Bonus points for being chased by security.
shaggers_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #290
AndyGM

I like their general look and positioning, but understand that they are completely unsuitable for any current purpose.

The Treasury building is a much better example of the style, and it's not going anywhere.

On a side note, looked like a crane going up for Founders Lane yesterday. That makes 14 for the inner north (if halston is still up?) and I think 22 citywide? I count 14 inner north, 3 gunners, 1 belco, 1 inner south, 2 molonglo and 1 Woden. I may have missed some, last time I went to Tuggeranong I don't think there were any.

There's quite a few sites being demolished now as well, so the number could go up.
Old December 15th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #291
abc

Likes (Received): 313

I was under the impression that what ever is built at ANZAC EAST has to be duplicated when ANZAC WEST is rebuilt.. Still think its a great spot for a 5-star international hotel chain hotel.

Thanks for crane count.. I'm also not sure about Tuggers.. need your passport to go down there.

I make it 3 in Gunghalin, 1 in Dickson, 2 now in Braddon, (Founders and on Northbourne) 1 opposite in Turner, 1 at court, 4 at ANU, 1 in Civic, 2 at Campbell, 1 in Griffith, 1 in Farrer, 2 in Molonglo and 1 at Jammo.

I get 20, but I might have missed one.

Also at the Midnight site, its all go on the excavation. Its like they want it done by next Friday.
abc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #292
abc

Likes (Received): 313

So 19 cranes now? Could be out by a couple. Hot old day to do this in Dickson
abc no está en línea   Reply With Quote