SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Maritime News and Discussions

887K views 3K replies 394 participants last post by  absinthe_888 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
6 firms eye Pasig River ferry service
Inquirer News Service

SIX PRIVATE companies are interested in running ferry services along the Pasig River once the government completes the construction of 13 boat stations from Manila to Marikina City.

Budget Secretary Emilia Boncodin said the national government would finance the construction of the 13 ferry stations, but would leave the ferry operations to the private sector.

Building each station would cost between P3 and P4 million, she said. The government would charge ferry operators a fee each time they dock at the stations. This early, there are plans to put up stations all the way to Laguna Lake.

"We will not repeat the mistakes of the past. The previous ferry projects were designed to fail," said the budget chief. The government is now on its third attempt to revive the ferry system.

Boncodin, Transport Secretary Leandro Mendoza and a representative of Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Chair Bayani Fernando signed a memorandum of agreement Wednesday to launch the ystem, one of the priority projects of the Arroyo administration.

"There are six groups interested in the ferry project. But we would know the final list by next month," said Transport Undersecretary Agustin Bengzon.

He said interested parties would have to invest about P5 million for each vesselthat plies the Pasig River.

Mendoza said the government would provide incentives to ferry operators such as exemptions from franchise fees and other charges. The operators could also qualify for import tax and tariff exemption.

Bengzon said the Pasig River ferry stations could be operational by the end of the year.

The stations would be equipped with amenities like air-conditioning, comfortable waiting areas, a ticketing system, scanners and metal detectors, comfort rooms, vendo machines and elevators for the disabled.

Reviving ferry services along the Pasig River would provide an alternative mode of transport and help decongest the traffic-choked roads of Metro Manila.
http://news.inq7.net/metro/index.ph...&story_id=11645

http://news.inq7.net/metro/index.ph...&story_id=25538
-----------------------------------------------------------
from sandrin. :cheers:

now... here goes anything that moves people and their materials, using waterways from rivers to seas.

See less See more
#78 ·
Who cares if the ideas are "stolen"? Personally as a creative person, I would rather that my good ideas are taken for free and used, rather than if a bad idea was implemented when it comes to situations like this. What would drive me is to see that the enviroment is improved, not the egotistical claim to an idea. There is only one North Harbor, and I hope the best of all ideas get considered when the time comes to really develop it.

#79 ·
systematica said:
Who cares if the ideas are "stolen"? Personally as a creative person, I would rather that my good ideas are taken for free and used, rather than if a bad idea was implemented when it comes to situations like this. What would drive me is to see that the enviroment is improved, not the egotistical claim to an idea. There is only one North Harbor, and I hope the best of all ideas get considered when the time comes to really develop it.
right now, it is more of an achievement for students like me if ever ideas coming from us are used whether we get credit or not. just the mere fact that it might be considered is already an achievement for us, it means that we might just have what it takes to be in this profession.

about the development of the philippines, every bit of good idea is needed nomatter who it came from. personally, i really don't actually care much about who gets credit for what. that's why i hate MOST of the POLITICIANS who paints their UGLY NAMES and FACES in every little bit of public properties that they think they gave to us out of their own good will.

i will start a thread about the craziest credit claiming frenzies of stupid politicians there is. ^_^ for example, waiting sheds. ^_^

#80 ·
Air travel VS. Sea travel

one of my concerns is this: why would people prefer sea travel if it is much slower than air travel?

it is always mentioned that air travel saves a lot of precious time. not to mention comfort. with this, how can sea travel compete air travel? i mean, one of the few edges there is to watertravel is its cost. it really is a lot cheaper to ride a ferry rather than take a plane. with this, most of the people riding the ferry are those who are budget constrained. if given the availability of money, these people would undoubtly take the plane instead more or less.

what if North Harbor is really developed complete with facilities and amenities that matches or even surpasses those of airports? of course sea travel not only refers to the terminals but also the ships of shipping companies. it will be great if they will also contribute to the overall development by maintaining their vessels more properly.

air and sea are like apples and oranges. the common thing they have is the travellers. but in terms of sceneries, its a lot different. that's why there are CRUISE SHIPS where people take their time out..relaxing and rewinding. there is something amazingly relaxing with the sound of the rolling sea that one cannot experience in air. being in an airplane is just like being in an enclosed space with comfortable seats etc. except that you are in air. one cannot actually experience the air, it doesnt even touch your skin. next thing you know, your back in land. whereas in water travel, you go out to the deck, smell the freash sea, if lucky you might even see dolphins, schools of fish, etc. waves splashes high, wind breezes to your skin with droplets of salt water..it is indeed a more relaxing experience than just staying on your seat looking out the window and seeing patches of clouds you can see from land.

my point is this. not most people are into this except if they go on a vacation. most people who travel are more appreciative of speed. they are so into their hectic schedules that they can't see the beauty of life you can only see in slow motion. with this, how can Sea Travel compete with Air travel?

can we promote sea travel as a relaxing mode of transpo, where speed is something overshadowed by serenity of travelling, something more of a cross between a cruise liner experience and a mode of transportation? with the development of the North Harbor Passenger Hub as a prelude to what sea travel is all about, might it just boost the water travel industry? in what other ways can we promote water travel, something that will make people prefer it even if they are capable of taking the airplane?

#82 ·
bustero said:
air travel = getting there fast is the point
sea travel = when you're on a boat you've already arrived :)
OMG bustero! :dance: your the party man! nice suggestion! right!

Here at Neo North™, we understand that it's not just your destination, it's the process of getting there that's important. By plane, you can get to your destination fast. But by boat, you get there FASTER!

:cheers: NeoNorth™: The Extension of your Destination! :cheers:

#83 ·
philippines' booming shipbuilding industry

the Tsuneishi Shipbuilding Facility in Balamban, Cebu
this is a joint venture between the Aboitiz and the Tsuneishi group of Japan.

a 50,000 DWT tanker built in Cebu
cebu is the shipbuilding capital of the country, and the Philippines will become soon the fourth shipbuilding nation because of it.

fastcrafts built in Balamban, Cebu

fastCrafts to be built

it can also build luxury fast crafts like these.

another ship is launched

the Tsuneishi Shipbuilding Complex in Balamban can build one of these ships every 45 days.

ships Built in Balamban, Cebu

#86 ·
^^ there's nothing on the dotc website I think it'll just come out when the contract has actually been signed, these things can take several months even if everyone is in agreement.

Richard, I've never seen an R2 builders website. Are you sure it exists. You may get more info from Philipine Ports authority website regarding this though.

#88 ·
taken from philstar.com..

Gov’t to spend P1B to build nautical highway

The Philippine Star 01/04/2006

The national government intends to spend P1 billion to build the country’s nautical highway system this year, Cebu Rep. Eduardo Gullas said.

The amount would be used to complete the remaining links of the Western, Central and Eastern Nautical Highways and strengthen the viability of the entire system, Gullas said.

"The funds will be spent mainly to improve the network of municipal ports and coastal roads that support the nautical highways," he explained.

The idea is to further ease transportation services and mobility in seaside towns leading to harbors that form part of the system.

To date, the nautical highway system, which includes the Cebu-Bohol-Camiguin roll-on, roll-off (RORO) complex, has reduced transport costs by 37 to 43 percent for passengers and by 24 to 34 percent for cargo. Travel time was also reduced by 10 to 12 hours.

As a result of the considerable reduction in transport cost and travel time, Gullas said the nautical highway system has also invigorated domestic merchandise trade and tourism in a big way.

The nautical highway system maximizes the use of RORO facilities to move passengers and cargo from Mindanao to Visayas to Luzon.

The Western Nautical Highway is the western seaboard trunk route from Manila to Dipolog City or the Northwestern tip of Mindanao, which connects to the central trunk route at Cebu City in Central Visayas.

The Central Nautical Highway is the central trunk route connecting Pilar, Sorsogon to Balingoan, Misamis Oriental, passing through Central Visayas and connecting to the East-West trunk routes at Cataingan, Masbate and San Carlos City in Negros Occidental.

#91 ·
bustero said:
^^ there's nothing on the dotc website I think it'll just come out when the contract has actually been signed, these things can take several months even if everyone is in agreement.

Richard, I've never seen an R2 builders website. Are you sure it exists. You may get more info from Philipine Ports authority website regarding this though.
thanks bustero,
will just have to wait and see....

#98 ·
^^ Good to know! :eek:kay: I guess since airfares are considerably cheaper these days and travelling times have been cut short because of it, I wonder how the shipping companies keep their businesses afloat? :dunno: