SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Retail in Greater Birmingham

3M views 22K replies 423 participants last post by  Peaky Blender 
#1 ·
I went back to Brum yesterday and found the city centre in a sorry state, with vacant units absolutely everywhere - three and a half years after the Bull Ring opened.

Everyone expected the Bull Ring effect, but things were supposed to have 'settled down' by now. And yet Martineau Place, Bull Street, Corporation Street - even the bit of New Street by the Bull Ring (Mexx didn't last long) all appear to be suffering. Even in the Bull Ring itself, the former Nike store remains unlet and there are other vacant units in the mall.

Great Western Arcade is, as always, only half-let and forlorn as usual. Shops on Corporation Street that ought to be full of people on a Saturday afternoon, such as House of Fraser and Urban Outfitters, were quiet. I didn't even venture to the The Mailbox, but I dread to think how busy (i.e. not busy) that would have been.

So what the cluck is going on? The theory was that landlords would have to lower rents across the rest of the city core once the Bull Ring was opened, and that independents would fill the newly-vacated units. This hasn't happened - not even one bit.

And yet, more retail space is planned - in the form of Martineau Galleries - when it manifestly isn't needed!

See less See more
#2,041 ·
Seems like the Birmingham Post is on the ball as usual :|

Ladbrokes agrees a move into Birmingham's Burlington Arcade
Apr 30 2010

Hortons’ Estate has signed one of the UK’s largest betting and gaming companies to new premises in the heart of Birmingham city centre.

Ladbrokes has agreed a new 15 year lease on three units within the Burlington arcade, relocating its city centre flagship store from Stephenson Street as work begins on the Birmingham New Street station redevelopment.

Richard Norgrove, property director at Hortons, said: “Retail is an essential part of the Ladbrokes business model, and The Burlington mall offers a presence just off the high street in a key location.”

Spanning the corner unit beneath the Burlington Hotel, the unit is situated on one of the main commuter routes for public transport.

Tim Taylor, regional development manager at Ladbrokes, said: “In terms of location, The Burlington is a perfect solution for us.

“With the New Street development just around the corner, we look forward to being one of the first to take advantage of what we expect to become one of the most prominent positions in the city.”

Agents Wright Silverwood acted for Hortons, and Nicholas Brett & Co. acted for Ladbrokes.
http://www.birminghampost.net/birmi...irmingham-s-burlington-arcade-65233-26351947/

#2,043 ·
The New Street redevelopment means Ladbrokes have to move so they've just taken up 3 units which will be turned into one, great big Ladbrokes shithole, slap bang in the middle of the retail core.

#2,045 ·
Ooh, that's typical Birmingham Post. Late reporting! :|

#2,047 ·
While i was looking at the Bullring online looking for information i went onto wikipedia and i found this quite interesting

Major Stores
Selfridges (One of four stores in UK)
Debenhams (Forth Largest store in UK)
TK Maxx (Maxx Maxx Store)
H&M (Collection of Style Store)
Next
Forever 21 (Opening Soon First UK Store)

Seeing Forever 21 listed on there as a major store and comparing them with the size of the other units listed im going to guess this will be taking a large unit, Borders and Flannels would be the largest units available at the moment but people have said on here before currys may be leaving aswel and this would make sense for it being next door to topshop and river island as they would rival these stores. Did someone say it was due to open june?

#2,051 ·
The new Barclay's on High St is very impressive, they've done a great job on it.. the empty unit next to Orange now has contractor boards in the window, so i take it we'll be getting another shop there soon, wonder what!?
Well where is the entrance for the gym going? because thats due to open early summer 2010 so it could be the entrance hall to the gym with a reception and their own shop like most gyms have now a days and the gym being fitted out?

#2,052 ·
Well where is the entrance for the gym going? because thats due to open early summer 2010 so it could be the entrance hall to the gym with a reception and their own shop like most gyms have now a days and the gym being fitted out?
I'm sure the entrance to the gym is in the passage way at the side, i remember seeing a sign under the BHS sign in there.. didn't take a look so i could be wrong.. but that unit is pretty big! looks like it could have 2 floors in it like how the new JD and republic in bullring have done.

#2,053 ·
personally I think the gym will take up the unit at the bottom as a reception as it seems easier and I think they would do better having the entrance in this position. They will probably have their reception, a shop selling gym equipment and a place to buy drinks and food and a seating area for people to wait to be inducted. They might have the changing rooms, showers and tanning beds and possibly sauna in the lower bit and just have 2 solid floors of gym equipment, To me that would be the perfect layout. Think im going to sign up when it opens

#2,057 ·
Birmingham named top shopping destination in the UK
May 11 2010 by Kat Keogh, Birmingham Mail

BIRMINGHAM has come top of the shops in a poll to find the nation’s favourite shopping destination.

The Second City was voted the nation’s top place to take a shopping break, according to a poll of British holidaymakers.

Birmingham, which boasts more than 1,000 city centre stores, beat Edinburgh and Brighton to take first place in the poll by holiday letting agency Cottages4you.

The city also took third place in the top entertainment destination behind Brighton and Edinburgh.
http://www.birminghammail.net/news/...hopping-destination-in-the-uk-97319-26419188/

#2,058 ·
The former Damac unit under the Orion Tower is now being fitted out, there is a sign saying that Cafe Blend a licensed boutique cafe will be opening soon.

There is also some work in the old Venture studios on John Bright Steet and one of the units in the bottom of sirius is listed as under offer.

Will be nice to see some more life in this area :)

#2,060 ·
The former Damac unit under the Orion Tower is now being fitted out, there is a sign saying that Cafe Blend a licensed boutique cafe will be opening soon.

There is also some work in the old Venture studios on John Bright Steet and one of the units in the bottom of sirius is listed as under offer.

Will be nice to see some more life in this area :)
I think one of them is taken by some kind of Organic Hair salon.

http://www.purohair.co.uk/index.html