SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Votes: 14 82.4%

Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 2 11.8%

Filipino Mentality: Behavior, Beliefs, Traits, and Traditions

1M views 5K replies 420 participants last post by  kakagwa 
#1 ·
Nationalism: Is the Philippines still worth crying for?

Is the Philippines worth crying for, despite of political instability?
Who will shed tears for the Motherland .
Who will lend a hand to lift her spirit,
to hold the lonely Flag that symbolize her name.

Count me in, you may?

How Much Do We Love The Philippines?

As you know, we have plenty of Koreans currently studying in the Philippines to take advantage of our cheaper tuition fees and learn English at the same time. This is an essay written by a Korean student we want to share with you.
------------

My Short Essay about the Philippines
Jaeyoun Kim

Filipinos always complain about the corruption in the Philippines. Do you really think the corruption is the problem of the Philippines? I do not think so. I strongly believe that the problem is the lack of love for the Philippines.

Let me first talk about my country, Korea. It might help you understand my point. After the Korean War, South Korea was one of the poorest countries in the world. Koreans had to start from scratch because entire country was destroyed completely after the Korean War, and we had no natural resources.

Koreans used to talk about the Philippines, for Filipinos were very rich in Asia. We envy Filipinos. Koreans really wanted to be well off like Filipinos. Many Koreans died of famine. My father's brother also died because of famine.

Korean government was awfully corrupt and is still very corrupt beyond your imagination, but Korea was able to develop dramatically because Koreans really did their best for the common good with their heart burning with patriotism. Koreans did not work just for themselves but also for their neighborhood and country. Education inspired young men with the spirit of patriotism.

40 years ago, President Park took over the government to reform Korea. He tried to borrow money from other countries, but it was not possible to get a loan and attract a foreign investment because the economy situation of South Korea was so bad. Korea had only BR three factories. So, President Park sent many mine workers and nurses to Germany so that they could send money to Korea to build a factory. They had to go through a horrible experience. In 1964, President Park visited Germany to borrow money. Hundred of Koreans in Germany came to the airport to welcome him and cried there as they saw the President Park. They asked to him, "President, when can we be well off?" That was the only question everyone asked to him.
President Park cried with them and promised them that Korea would be well off if everyone works hard for Korea, and the President of Germany got the strong impression on them and lent money to Korea. So, President Park was able to build many factories in Korea.

He always asked Koreans to love their country from their heart. Many Korean scientists and engineers in the USA came back to Korea to help developing country because they wanted their country to be well off.

Though they received very small salary, they did their best for Korea. They always hoped that their children would live in well off country.

My parents always brought me to the places where poor and physically handicapped people live. They wanted me to understand their life and help them. I also worked for Catholic Church when I was in the army. The only thing I learned from Catholic Church was that we have to love our neighborhood. And I have loved my neighborhood.

Have you cried for the Philippines? I have cried for my country several times. I also cried for the Philippines because of so many poor people. I have been to the New Bilibid prison. What made me sad in the prison were the prisoners who do not have any love for their country. They go to mass and work for Church. They pray everyday. However, they do not love the Philippines. I talked to two prisoners at the maximum security compound, and both of them said that they would leave the Philippines right after they are released from the prison. They said that they would start a new life in other countries and never come back to the Philippines.

Many Koreans have a great love for Korea so that we were able to share our wealth with our neighborhood. The owners of factory and company were distributed their profit to their employees fairly so that employees could buy what they needed and saved money for the future and their children. When I was in Korea, I had a very strong faith and wanted to be a
priest. However, when I came to the Philippines, I completely lost my faith. I was very confused when I saw many unbelievable situations in the Philippines. Street kids always make me sad, and I see them everyday. The Philippines is the only Catholic country in Asia, but there are too many poor people here. People go to church every Sunday to pray, but nothing has been changed.

My parents came to the Philippines last week and saw this situation. They told me that Korea was much poorer than the present Philippines when they were young. They are so sorry that there so many beggars and street kids. When we went to Pasangjan, I forced my parents to take a boat because it would fun. However, they were not happy after taking a boat. They said that they would not take the boat again because they were sympathized the boat men, for the boat men were very poor and had a small frame. Most of people just took a boat and enjoyed it. But my parents did not enjoy it because of love for them.

My mother who has been working for Catholic Church since I was very young told me that if we just go to mass without changing ourselves, we are not Catholic indeed. Faith should come with action. She added that I have to love Filipinos and do good things for them because all of us are same and have received a great love from God.

I want Filipinos to love their neighborhood and country as much as they love God so that the Philippines will be well off. I am sure that love is the keyword which Filipinos should remember. We cannot change the sinful structure at once. It should start from person. Love must start in everybody in a small scale and have to grow. A lot of things happen if we open up to love. Let's put away our prejudices and look at our worries with our new eyes. I discover that every person is worthy to be loved. Trust in love, because it makes changes possible. Love changes you and me. It changes people, contexts and relationships.

It changes the world.

Please love your neighborhood and country. Jesus Christ said that whatever we do to others we do to Him. In the Philippines, there is God for people who are abused and abandoned. There is God who is crying for love. If you have a child, teach them how to love the Philippines. Teach them why they have to love their neighborhood and country.

You already know that God also will be very happy if you love others. That's all I really want to ask you Filipinos.

-----------

Now I will second her/his curiosity. Is the Philippines worth crying for?

Who will shed tears for the Motherland.

Who will lend a hand to lift her spirit, to hold the lonely Flag that symbolize her name.

If you love the motherland, it's just a click to spread this message.

"Life with CHRIST is an endless hope, without HIM, a hopeless end.

++++++++

well... count me in.... I find it very sad to see that there are more foreigners who appreciate our country more than its citizens.....

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#3,938 ·
#3,940 · (Edited)
Si Vanessa Hudgens may IMSCF din.. Pag ini interview siya sa TV, laging sagot niya "my father's American and my mom's of filipino, spanish and chinese descent." Eh bakit di na lang niya sabihin na Pinay ang nanay niya?

TeenHollywood: Vanessa, you look exotic and gorgeous. What is your ethnic background?

Vanessa: Gosh, I'm everything. Pretty much I'm Filipino and Caucasian but within that, I'm Spain Spanish, Chinese, American Indian, Irish.

TeenHollywood: There aren't a lot of Filipino actors...

Vanessa: I'm here to represent for my Pinoles! :lol: :lol:

#3,944 · (Edited)
walang IMSCF si Vanessa Huydgens dahil tunay naman siya na may spanish and malay-Pinoy-chinese descent, so wala siyang syndrome. Ang may IMSCF ay yaong nagpre pretend.

By the way, looking at other angles and perspective, In my analysis, I reckoned that the people who inventend this IMSCF syndrome were racist, since they don't want other Filipinos claims that they have Spanish or Chinses blood also. Gusto ng nag invento nitong IMSCF syndrome ay sila lang ang merong lahing Spanish or caucasian or Chinese, therefore mga racist ang nag invento at followers nitong IMSCF syndrome kuno.

This IMSCF syndrome "kuno" is a subtle way of degrading fellow Filipinos with brown or dark skin complexion, so this is one form of racism by some (hindi lahat) Filipinos with Spanish / Caucasian blood / Chinese blood.

By the way, Please see my previous postings of Vanessa Hudgens.
at PEX . Photos & good news about the Philippines, Filipinos, & Overseas Filipinos Worldwide

http://pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313868&page=3

#3,941 ·
if she really have chinese or spanish in her family then its ok ano naman masama dun?
Sa tingin ko itong IMSCF is a result kasi marami lng na iingit sa pinoy na meron mix kasi kakaiba sila sa general population.
I meet some mestisa girl in my area she considers herself spanish coz she is indeed spanish... malalaman muna man yan sa physical features e.

#3,943 ·
Regardless if this IMSCF is real or imagined; Filipinos will always be a mixed breed people. No one can really say with much certainty that they're "pure" Filipino, unless you're a member of the ever shrinking indigenous tribes that inhabited the Philippines before the Spanish arrival onto our shores.

Filipinos run the gamut from the darkest of black to the palest of white complexions. There is no set features that defines us. I've said this before and will say it again (and probably ad infinitum)....

"If you think Filipino. If you act Filipino. If you feel Filipino. YOU ARE A FILIPINO!" :eek:kay:

#3,950 ·
No.
It's, when all people looks Pinoy:D

#3,963 ·
Hi Guys!..

I just found this thread in SSC and must say its amazing......
Its really impressive to see such similiarities btween Filipinos and Mexicans....I mean the Language, the facial features (both the European like and the Native / creole ones), the spaniard LAST NAMES :lol:

I wonder how many filipino heritage could be found in Mexico...I bet its pretty difficult cause the National Statistics Beureau (INEGI) doesnt track heritage record, other than religion................Many Middle Eastern heritage could be found in Mexico and we only recognize each other by our last names: Slim, Hayek, Saba, (Lebanese, Turk, Syrian)......Jewish Mexicans are easy to track cause the religion................but how could we track filipino heritage???!!...they actually looks like Mexican and some of their last names are pure Spaniard :nuts:...........

#3,965 ·
#3,966 · (Edited)
I guess I was directed to move my post to this forum.
And that was a good idea because I suffer from identity crisis too. Going back and forth between the U.S. and the Philippines has made me even more confused haha. BUT, that has also given me insight on foreign views of the Philippines.

The post before said we can't ever ignore our Spanish colonial past. So here's what I had to say:

True, but those days are over. You also can't prioritize it over the history of what was there before the Spanish took control over the Philippines to expand their global empire. The Chinese were in the Philippines long before the Spanish were. The Spanish just managed to culturally imperialize the Philippines the quickest. But, there's no chance going back in time, and it will always be a part of us like you said. Learning Spanish again, however, IS like going back in time. I prefer how France ruled Vietnam, and how England ruled Hong Kong as to how the Spanish ruled the Philippines. I like how the Spanish brought Christianity (except for the fact that they killed a lot of the people who weren't Christian ... not a good method), but at least the French and the English let their colonies KEEP their culture (and last names) for the most part, and they didn't mess with it. The Philippines is the only country with Juan Villegases running around who can't speak Spanish. It's even interesting how a lot of people who have Spanish last names don't even have Spanish ancestry. The Spanish made the Philippines more westernized than it needed to be. They're the reason why I see so many questions on Yahoo Answers (not to mention in real life) saying, "Is the Philippines more westernized than it is Asian?" Don't you want your Asian heritage, and don't you want to be proud of it? Consequently, Pinoys across the globe often get accused of being Latin American (and American for that matter) instead of Asian. Not that there's anything wrong with being Latino, but the Philippines is not a Central/South American country >_<.

It's more ideal for Filipinos to learn Chinese now, because the Spanish are gone, we have a fundamentally Asian heritage (and we're geographically stuck in the middle of East Asia), and the Philippines is next to China, one of the world's biggest (and still growing) economic superpowers. The great sleeping dragon of China (and Taiwan) is awakening, and the great Chinese diaspora is flooding the world with its people and money, especially in the Philippines, the gateway to Asia (I'm not saying that China is the best nation, but cooperating with China would be a good political (as long as we don't become communist!), economical and social maneuver for the Philippines). The Chinese have spread so much of their cultural to their surrounding neighbors, and that's how many Asians can connect (such as bowing, using some Chinese characters, and other elements of Confucian culture). We can attract so much Chinese investment if we start to go back to our Asian roots and focus on Chinese instead of Spanish. Spain and Mexico won't do anything for us anymore. It's time to move forward instead of delving into the finished past. As a whole, we're an easily adaptable lot, so I think it's very possible. However, Filipinos should always be proud of their heritage and never give up Tagalog as their first language.

Honestly, I'm more slighted towards the South Korean cultural invasion, maybe because I like Korean culture (and they're not communist), and they'll catalyze the revival of the inherent eastern elements of Filipino culture ... but that's a different story =P

#3,968 ·
I guess I was directed to move my post to this forum.
And that was a good idea because I suffer from identity crisis too. Going back and forth between the U.S. and the Philippines has made me even more confused haha. BUT, that has also given me insight on foreign views of the Philippines.

The post before said we can't ever ignore our Spanish colonial past. So here's what I had to say:

True, but those days are over. You also can't prioritize it over the history of what was there before the Spanish took control over the Philippines to expand their global empire. The Chinese were in the Philippines long before the Spanish were. The Spanish just managed to culturally imperialize the Philippines the quickest. But, there's no chance going back in time, and it will always be a part of us like you said. Learning Spanish again, however, IS like going back in time. I prefer how France ruled Vietnam, and how England ruled Hong Kong as to how the Spanish ruled the Philippines. I like how the Spanish brought Christianity (except for the fact that they killed a lot of the people who weren't Christian ... not a good method), but at least the French and the English let their colonies KEEP their culture (and last names) for the most part, and they didn't mess with it. The Philippines is the only country with Juan Villegases running around who can't speak Spanish. It's even interesting how a lot of people who have Spanish last names don't even have Spanish ancestry. The Spanish made the Philippines more westernized than it needed to be. They're the reason why I see so many questions on Yahoo Answers (not to mention in real life) saying, "Is the Philippines more westernized than it is Asian?" Don't you want your Asian heritage, and don't you want to be proud of it? Consequently, Pinoys across the globe often get accused of being Latin American (and American for that matter) instead of Asian. Not that there's anything wrong with being Latino, but the Philippines is not a Central/South American country >_<.

It's more ideal for Filipinos to learn Chinese now, because the Spanish are gone, we have a fundamentally Asian heritage (and we're geographically stuck in the middle of East Asia), and the Philippines is next to China, one of the world's biggest (and still growing) economic superpowers. The great sleeping dragon of China (and Taiwan) is awakening, and the great Chinese diaspora is flooding the world with its people and money, especially in the Philippines, the gateway to Asia (I'm not saying that China is the best nation, but cooperating with China would be a good political (as long as we don't become communist!), economical and social maneuver for the Philippines). The Chinese have spread so much of their cultural to their surrounding neighbors, and that's how many Asians can connect (such as bowing, using some Chinese characters, and other elements of Confucian culture). We can attract so much Chinese investment if we start to go back to our Asian roots and focus on Chinese instead of Spanish. Spain and Mexico won't do anything for us anymore. It's time to move forward instead of delving into the finished past. As a whole, we're an easily adaptable lot, so I think it's very possible. However, Filipinos should always be proud of their heritage and never give up Tagalog as their first language.
Honestly, I'm more slighted towards the South Korean cultural invasion, maybe because I like Korean culture (and they're not communist), and they'll catalyze the revival of the inherent eastern elements of Filipino culture ... but that's a different story =P
I reckoned our share of Chinese heritage is enough and we should not encourage the entry of more Chinese influence. China is so big country and in all things whether in business or culture we will be overwhelmed by China.

Our country may became another Tibet or Eastern Turkistan in the future if we don't stop the entry of Chinese influences.

Baka pagdating ng araw lahat tayo ay maging squatters sa sariling bayan especially ang mga traitorous nating mga political leaders ay gustong baguhin ang Constitution para bigyan ng karapatan na ang mga foreigners ay makabili ng lupa sa Pilipinas.

I am not anti-chinese dahil ako rin ay may lahing chinese through one of my great-grandparents, pero I am an extreme Filipino nationalist.

#3,976 ·
Say the same as in what? That they're Asians? Indeed they are, as well as Filipinos.
Luckily, Japan doesn't have to deal with an identity crisis though haha. Even though they are within the sinospheric circle of influence, they don't have to deal with the same degree of identity confusion like the how some Filipinos have to deal with identity issues because of how the western Spaniards threw a monkey wrench in our cultural history. Read my above post though. These things take a lot of time to write and a lot of editing too haha.

#3,971 ·
Animo, that's a lie and you know it. The Chinese have had a lot of impact on Filipino culture.
Here's what they did for us:

* The use of porcelain wares, gongs, and other metals
* The manufacture of gunpowder and setting off of fireworks during special occasions
* The use of loose trousers and wearing of camisa de chino, slippers, wooden shoes
* Gambling games such as jueteng and mahjong
* Cooking such dishes as lumpia, mami, pancit and lechon (spanish name, Chinese technique)
* Customs such as respect for elders and the veneration of ancestors
* Traditions such as prearranged marriages and participation of a mediator in marital talks
* Martial Arts
* Traits such as close family ties, frugality and hard work
* The use of words with Chinese etymology.

A lot of Filipinos have Chinese surnames (or a combination of Chinese surnames into one full last name), and some are proficient in speaking Chinese or Hokkien.

It also has a big impact on our racial composition:

"According to Dr. H. Otley Beyer, noted American anthropologist, the racial ancestry of Filipinos is as follows: Malay - 40%; Indonesian - 30%; Chinese - 10%, Indian (Hindu) - 5%, European & American - 3%, and Arab - 2%. "

I will keep editing this post as I discover more information. I'm certain this isn't it, but the list can grow MUCH longer.

And that's ridiculous saying that Tagalog is not the Filipino's first language. It is most certainly the first language. Barely anybody in the Philippines speaks Spanish anymore, and that's a fact. The Hokkien minority here is much bigger than any remaining Spanish minority.

Don't make me get out a map and POINT out how direct the Chinese impact on the Philippines was.
that's ridiculous! tagalog is NOT my first language. i speak either minnanhua (grow up with chinese grandma) or samarnon (our nanny is from samar) even before i learn tagalog. my 3rd and 4th language is cebuano (from my mom) and leytenhon (coz i was raised in tacloban). when i enrolled in kinder 1. the lessons are only in english and mandarin. so i didnt learn tagalog till i was in grade 1. tagalog was the 7th language that i learn after english and mandarin. you can even ask the cebuanos if their 1st language is tagalog, i'm sure they'll tell you it's cebuano.

and i dont beleive in turning our philippines into a little china or a little spain. the philippines is a melting pot of cultures, filipinos are asians as well as hispanic. western as well as eastern. let's not deny the heritage we receive and put ourselves into a narrow box labelled only as "asian" or "hispanic" because we are neither asians nor hispanics, we are filipinos, a healthy mix of east and west.

by the way,

* Customs such as respect for elders and the veneration of ancestors
* Traditions such as prearranged marriages and participation of a mediator in marital talks
* Martial Arts
* Traits such as close family ties, frugality and hard work
* The use of words with Chinese etymology.

these traits are not exclusive to the chinese, many asians practice these culture, it's not as monopoly of the chinese.

#3,972 · (Edited)
Ok. First of all, if you HAVEN'T noticed, it may not be your first language because of your dialects, and I'm glad you can boast your ability of being fluent in a million languages - even though I'd find it hard to memorize all of the many thousands of Chinese characters. However, that is NOT stopping Tagalog from being the first and NATIONAL language of the ENTIRE Philippines as it is declared in the constitution. Yes, there are many dialects spoken in the Philippines, and that's why a national language was declared. Tagalog is the language used for ALL Filipinos to communicate with, and it is the language used in the media and press - English aside. English is the second language as well as the language of business. In 1937, Tagalog was selected as the basis of the national language of the Philippines by the National Language Institute. In 1939, Manuel L. Quezon named the national language "Wikang Pambansa." In other words the Filipino national language. This is very basic Filipino history. Maybe I should've used National instead of first, and it was a diction error. In any cause, I still had and have the same thought.

I never said that we should turn the Philippines into a little China or Spain. In a matter of fact, that would be the EXACT opposite of what I'm going for. The Philippines should be proud of being Filipino, but too many people are turning back and they WANT the Philippines to be a little Spain, and they want to bring Spanish back and bring it as the first language. This is ridiculous. There's a reason why the Filipino forefathers fought for Filipino independence. Because we are FILIPINO not Spanish. Yes, the language is peppered with Spanish words which are mostly pidginized. Also, we have MUCH more of the neighboring language groups in our vernacular: MOSTLY Malaysian, Chinese, Indonesian, Arabic, and more recently, English. It's already bad enough the Filipino forefathers fought so bravely for an independent Philippines, and now a lot of its people want to revert back to being Spanish, and then the corrupt government leaders took over to serve them themselves and not the people.

What I mentioned before, is it would behoove of the Philippines to turn to a greater interest in Chinese instead of Spanish due to its geographic and cultural location. The 333 years of Spanish colonial past is only a SLICE of Filipino history that ended a hundred years ago. It's over now, the Philippines no longer belongs to the Western Spanish empire. Filipinos should be proud of their rich history with some western influence, but they should not let it take over or let it seize the majority of what its true cultural past was. The Philippines was initially founded a long time ago by a mix of Asian influences - Malay, Chinese, Indonesian, Polynesian, Arab etc. That IN ITSELF is rich too. The Spanish made it richer to an extent, but it was never the primary culture.

Chinese is of interest EVERYWHERE because of its growing economic authority - whether you like it or not. It's better not to stay in denial. Even in the United States, Chinese schools and languages courses are sprouting up EVERYWHERE. I never said the Chinese should take over. It would be a good political move for the Philippines to receive economic partnership with China - which has stemmed for thousands of years. This partnership would enormously benefit the Philippines, and it would also help rehash the former Filipino-Chinese cultural ties that once existed before Spain took over. China is a HUGE economic (among other traits) power growing before our eyes. However, I never said it should take over the Philippines. That would be even worse. The Philippines is its own nation rich without its own beautiful history. It would be wise, however, to take advantage of it and cooperate with China.

Now, if you've ever taken history you would also know about the Sinosphere. Yes, those characteristics that you quoted me on are inherently Asian, but that's BECAUSE OF the Sinospheric circle of incluence. It's known as the Chinese Cultural/East Asian Cultural Sphere. It characterizes the group of countries around the China or with a big Chinese sub-population that have lived through years of heavy Chinese cultural influence. China's rich history dates back the longest and it has enriched the cultures of the nations surrounding it. You can not deny that Korea and Japan and Vietnam and Taiwan and MALAYSIA (a big Filipino ancestor) even the Philippines etc. have not endured great cultural exchange and development through China. These traits of shared Filipino-Chinese cultural are inherently Asian, but they belong under the Sinosphere influence.

It saddens me when I see Filipino history being tossed aside in some cases like architecture and art because of several hundred years of western colonization and the desire to modernize. Recently, I learned that the Philippines even had its own bow (not bow and arrow, but the bowing gesture) - much like the bows that Korea and Japan (and sometimes China) use. Would it hurt to revive it? No. It would be a shame to throw all of this away. Do you know why I write this? There seems to be an all-too prevalent belief among the many westerners I meet, which is the notion that Filipinos are Hispanic. False. The Philippines was colonized, but Spain, but Spain wasn't the main contributor to Filipino culture. It hurts when I see how European tourists talk about how they would prefer to not make the trip to the Philippines while they're in Asia because they believe it's too much like their own culture and they're not getting enough of the cultural experience when the visit the Philippines. Some view it as a waste of time. They would rather go to some other place like Vietnam. I hear this! You can deny it, and tell me that's not true. Do you know how much that hurts? Maybe because you're in the Philippines you don't know what that's like because you only see the tourists who want to go to the Philippines. But I've experienced it, and I hear it. This long history should not be taken over and shadowed by a short 300 years of western colonial reign. It should be cherished and revived and used whenever and wherever possible. Too many fellow Filipinos are convinced that their rich culture is due to Spanish colonization. To a degree that is true, but that is only a small part of history. The reason why Spanish influence seems to be such a great contributor (and it WAS a significant contributor - that is true) is because it was the most different of all of the cultural exchanges/takeovers that the Philippines has experienced until their arrival. Not to mention, a hundred years ago is still fresh for us. The Spanish did do a favor for the Philippines, but there are hundreds/thousands of very beautiful years that have existed before (and after) that. These years will soon exist after that. Beforehand the Philippines had a very RICH melting pot of cultures. The food, people, languages - everything - was very diverse and the land had kindgdoms and solimans. Pre-hispanic Filipino history is very interesting, very fun, very diverse and very rich. Filipinos should always turn to the question - what IS inherently Filipino? How can I implement this in what I do - whether it's in my latest design or how I act.

And yes, the Philippines is a melting pot of Eastern and Western influences, and we should be proud of that. But geographically, historically, and inherently, it's an Asian country, and that's an undeniable fact. It is wise to be cooperative with your neighbors though. You can't relocate the Philippines next to Spain, and you can't relocate the Philippines next to America. The Philippines is the most hospitable Asian nation, so that's not a problem, right? :). You should love thy neighbor as theyself, right? (Sorry for being corny and alluding to bible literature, but it is true). Don't shun the rich cultural past the Philippines has shared with its Asian neighbors for so long just because it was slightly interrupted by western development for 300 years. Look at the poll above! Most people voted that the Philippines is Asian. Keep that mentality. Don't wag your tail and show off how western you are compared to the rest of your neighbors. It's hurting your image, it's hurting tourism, and most of all, it's damaging the preservation of your unique Filipino history. Don't boast about how Spain colonized the Philippines for 300 years (and people do boast about it) by setting aside the long rich history before that. Yes, the Asian development of the Philippines might not be the most fresh of influences, but it was the biggest. The Spanish came for a period of time and then spiced the Philippines with some Hispanic flare. First and foremost though, the Philippines should always be put first. Treasure your culture, it's unique and it's individual to the Philippines.

As Jon Torres (a Filipino) said, "So I hope it no longer seems to you a bold statement to say that Filipinos are not Hispanic, not from Latin America, do not speak Spanish nor are even of mostly Spanish ancestry. I encourage you to look up even more information on sites such as Wikipedia, and if possible, find some Filipino friends and raise a discussion, which I have no doubt will be a lively one."

I would also like to say - on a side note - that there's nothing better than an open mind. Take what is good, keep what is yours, and leave what is bad (all in good ethics of course).

#3,974 · (Edited)
Is the Philippines worth crying for, despite of political instability?
Who will shed tears for the Motherland .
Who will lend a hand to lift her spirit,
to hold the lonely Flag that symbolize her name.

Count me in, you may?

How Much Do We Love The Philippines?

As you know, we have plenty of Koreans currently studying in the Philippines to take advantage of our cheaper tuition fees and learn English at the same time. This is an essay written by a Korean student we want to share with you.
------------

My Short Essay about the Philippines
Jaeyoun Kim

Filipinos always complain about the corruption in the Philippines. Do you really think the corruption is the problem of the Philippines? I do not think so. I strongly believe that the problem is the lack of love for the Philippines.

Let me first talk about my country, Korea. It might help you understand my point. After the Korean War, South Korea was one of the poorest countries in the world. Koreans had to start from scratch because entire country was destroyed completely after the Korean War, and we had no natural resources.

Koreans used to talk about the Philippines, for Filipinos were very rich in Asia. We envy Filipinos. Koreans really wanted to be well off like Filipinos. Many Koreans died of famine. My father's brother also died because of famine.

Korean government was awfully corrupt and is still very corrupt beyond your imagination, but Korea was able to develop dramatically because Koreans really did their best for the common good with their heart burning with patriotism. Koreans did not work just for themselves but also for their neighborhood and country. Education inspired young men with the spirit of patriotism.

40 years ago, President Park took over the government to reform Korea. He tried to borrow money from other countries, but it was not possible to get a loan and attract a foreign investment because the economy situation of South Korea was so bad. Korea had only BR three factories. So, President Park sent many mine workers and nurses to Germany so that they could send money to Korea to build a factory. They had to go through a horrible experience. In 1964, President Park visited Germany to borrow money. Hundred of Koreans in Germany came to the airport to welcome him and cried there as they saw the President Park. They asked to him, "President, when can we be well off?" That was the only question everyone asked to him.
President Park cried with them and promised them that Korea would be well off if everyone works hard for Korea, and the President of Germany got the strong impression on them and lent money to Korea. So, President Park was able to build many factories in Korea.

He always asked Koreans to love their country from their heart. Many Korean scientists and engineers in the USA came back to Korea to help developing country because they wanted their country to be well off.

Though they received very small salary, they did their best for Korea. They always hoped that their children would live in well off country.

My parents always brought me to the places where poor and physically handicapped people live. They wanted me to understand their life and help them. I also worked for Catholic Church when I was in the army. The only thing I learned from Catholic Church was that we have to love our neighborhood. And I have loved my neighborhood.

Have you cried for the Philippines? I have cried for my country several times. I also cried for the Philippines because of so many poor people. I have been to the New Bilibid prison. What made me sad in the prison were the prisoners who do not have any love for their country. They go to mass and work for Church. They pray everyday. However, they do not love the Philippines. I talked to two prisoners at the maximum security compound, and both of them said that they would leave the Philippines right after they are released from the prison. They said that they would start a new life in other countries and never come back to the Philippines.

Many Koreans have a great love for Korea so that we were able to share our wealth with our neighborhood. The owners of factory and company were distributed their profit to their employees fairly so that employees could buy what they needed and saved money for the future and their children. When I was in Korea, I had a very strong faith and wanted to be a
priest. However, when I came to the Philippines, I completely lost my faith. I was very confused when I saw many unbelievable situations in the Philippines. Street kids always make me sad, and I see them everyday. The Philippines is the only Catholic country in Asia, but there are too many poor people here. People go to church every Sunday to pray, but nothing has been changed.

My parents came to the Philippines last week and saw this situation. They told me that Korea was much poorer than the present Philippines when they were young. They are so sorry that there so many beggars and street kids. When we went to Pasangjan, I forced my parents to take a boat because it would fun. However, they were not happy after taking a boat. They said that they would not take the boat again because they were sympathized the boat men, for the boat men were very poor and had a small frame. Most of people just took a boat and enjoyed it. But my parents did not enjoy it because of love for them.

My mother who has been working for Catholic Church since I was very young told me that if we just go to mass without changing ourselves, we are not Catholic indeed. Faith should come with action. She added that I have to love Filipinos and do good things for them because all of us are same and have received a great love from God.

I want Filipinos to love their neighborhood and country as much as they love God so that the Philippines will be well off. I am sure that love is the keyword which Filipinos should remember. We cannot change the sinful structure at once. It should start from person. Love must start in everybody in a small scale and have to grow. A lot of things happen if we open up to love. Let's put away our prejudices and look at our worries with our new eyes. I discover that every person is worthy to be loved. Trust in love, because it makes changes possible. Love changes you and me. It changes people, contexts and relationships.

It changes the world.

Please love your neighborhood and country. Jesus Christ said that whatever we do to others we do to Him. In the Philippines, there is God for people who are abused and abandoned. There is God who is crying for love. If you have a child, teach them how to love the Philippines. Teach them why they have to love their neighborhood and country.

You already know that God also will be very happy if you love others. That's all I really want to ask you Filipinos.

-----------

Now I will second her/his curiosity. Is the Philippines worth crying for?

Who will shed tears for the Motherland.

Who will lend a hand to lift her spirit, to hold the lonely Flag that symbolize her name.

If you love the motherland, it's just a click to spread this message.

"Life with CHRIST is an endless hope, without HIM, a hopeless end.

++++++++

well... count me in.... I find it very sad to see that there are more foreigners who appreciate our country more than its citizens.....
This is my favorite essay. Thanks a lot for posting this :) I hope everybody will have a chance to read this someday.

#3,977 ·
for you guys who don't like tagalog, isn't it the national language, so unfortunately you have to learn it. There needs to be a unifying language and tagalog was relegated as such. Tagalog and English both should be learned. and then you have your third language which is the regional dialects. There was an article recently where learning multi languages or multilingual speakers have great benefits in improving your brain. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.